Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 03:51 AM   #1

Anyone seen any 2 bedroom plans?

I have only seen one floor plan that I would consider as "2 bedroom" and it was for a handicap unit. While we will be having it custom done, I was wondering if any of you have seen any "2 bedroom" plans on any of the sites. My son talked to Newell briefly while setting up an appointment, and they said they could do "anything", and we are flying out to see them in Feb. but I was just trying to get some ideas.

Right now Our idea is to have my bedroom far back, then the full bath, then his bedroom and a 1/2 bath up behind the driver seat. We realize this is no big deal to us, but if we ever want to sell the unit, I would guess it would put the resale in the dumper. I also have to consider that while we are both currently widowers, he is only 35 and he will no doubt have a female companion in the future. And maybe he can get the grand kid thing going before I'm too old to remember their names.

We also had a chance to talk to a wonderful couple in a Newmar Mountain Aire In of all places, a Wall Mart parking lot. They told us that they often will overnight in a Wall Mart lot when they want to take on some food. What a fantastic home they have! Their MH has a big full bath at the back with a big shower and lots of room. They were selling us hard to make sure we got a MH with Comfort Drive steering. In their case the Wife does about 1/3 of the driving (their way of assuring us that we would have no problem with a MH this large). They sold their home, and live in the MH full time. They have family on both coasts and in Michigan and Florida. (they were up here for the birth of a new grand baby).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
#4215 - 2011 Thor Motor Coach Challenger 2 Bedroom Floor Plan W/3 Slides for sale in Alvarado TX

Something to look at for ideas,maybe it fits your needs with modifications?

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We looked at a Forest River Class A that was *similar* in functionality to a 2 bedroom. I don't recall the floor plan - we looked at it in the Summer of 2011.

The kitchen and dining table were in the center of the RV, a bath towards the rear and then a bedroom at the rear.

Directly behind the front seats was a large couch - that opened to a bed. Across from the couch was a storage/entertainment center. This front room could be closed off completely by sliding doors.

It was certainly not an RV to compete with a Newell coach - but is the closest that I have personally seen that could be 2 separate bedrooms. Your son is right about Newell - they custom build every coach - right down to the frame, and you can get pretty much any floorplan you want from them.

If you haven't taken a look at their beautiful RV's, spend some time on their website at Newell Coach - Take the good life with you I hope to one day be able to have a Newell Coach of our own.

Best of luck in your searches.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Forest River I was talking about is essentially the same floor plan as the Thor Challenger 37KT

http://challengermotorhome.com/floorplans.php

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
FYI - Newells have Comfort Drive, but they call it EasiSteer because Comfort Drive is Newmar's name for TRW's Column Drive technology.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Thank you!... More Ideas! It will have to have a bigger TV (G).
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on the challenger. I really wanted that floor plan. Makes it seem like a home with several different rooms. I figured the wife could sleep and not have to deal with my late night movie marathons!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

I have only seen one two bedroom MH plan where there were actually two separate bedrooms the second having bunks and a built in dresser. We went to look at it with the hope that I could convert it to a small office. However the minuses were much greater than the plus. This unit was specifically designed for a family but there was absolutely no counter or storage space which baffled me. So you can sleep eight but you could only store food and clothes for 4? No wonder they only made that model for one year. As the salesman said... the is only so many square feet so every time you add something something else has to go.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
The Forest River I was talking about is essentially the same floor plan as the Thor Challenger 37KT

2014 Challenger Motorhomes: Class A RV by Thor Motor Coach

That would be a good place to start when sitting down with the folks at Newell. They did mention they could do anything so see how much it will run to have the entry door moved to the middle.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Discovery had the 42A which was a bit like what you are describing (2 beds in back then full bath then master then 1/2 bath) but it was discontinued last year (you can see the floorplan on Fleetwood's website in the archived floorplan or just search with Google images). Now they'll do something similar with the Revolution 42T or the Eagle 45T on custom orders but those can only fit bunk beds.

There have been a few other 2 bedrooms plans but they haven't done well (I think the 2nd bedroom was just too small). Among others, there was a Newmar Ventana and a Forest River Georgetown. Newmar also had the ATME3950/3951/4151 which where kind of 2 bedrooms (two 'low ceiling' levels at the back). And they also had the ATME4156 floorplan which had a empty room in the back that could be finished anyway you want.

That Challenger mentioned above might be the best floorplan you'll find in a class A for what you are looking for. Unfortunately, if you're talking to Newell, the Challenger probably won't have the fit / finish you are looking for.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #11

This is fantastic info, Thanks! We are looking at these floor plans just to get ideas what we are going to ask to be build. I know we are spending a lot of money to build something that about no one else in the word will want, and will kill our resale value. Frankly, That will be my Son's problem because I don't plan selling it. When I can't drive it any more, I'll just park it next to his house (where ever he is by then) and use it as my apartment.

It is outstanding that you recall these different floor plans, and I have looked up each. We wanted a "home theater" and looking at these plans, it is much more simple then we thought. All we have to do is put two recliners on one front slide and a huge flat screen on the other. (Easy for me to say 'simple'- I don't have to build it)

Again thank all you guys. I hope when we get on the road we get a chance to meet each of you and I can buy you your favorite beverage!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #12

For some odd reason, I had double bedroom motorhomes on my mind as I fell asleep last night. Just for the heck of it, I made a slight modification to the floorplan on that challenger.

It's a bit quick and rough but, with the Newell, I'm pretty sure you will be at least 40' so dropping a second full bath in the rear made sense to me. In the front bedroom, a Murphy bed made sense to me as it is much easier to put up and down than a sleeper sofa and you can leave it made when in the up position. You could put either a large LCD TV or a projector surface on the other side. I figured a screen would be less prone to damage even though I have seen TVs under murphy beds in RVs on TV. Also, A projector would be perfect in the slide out above the theater recliners. Even though this is a 2 bedroom, it is so versatile, you would not likely turn away many potential buyers if you ever needed to sell down the road. Newell would just have to either move the door to the middle or keep the front door and add a door in the middle. A smallish closet behind the driver seat would be good as well now that I think of it.

I would personally LOVE a motorhome with a setup like this but a custom Newell (Or any Newell for that matter) is completely outside our budget.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing to keep in mind is that you will find much more options for 'family-friendly' floorplans in towables. If you're not stuck on a class A, have a look at the options in FW and bumper pulls.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
I have only seen one two bedroom MH plan where there were actually two separate bedrooms the second having bunks and a built in dresser. We went to look at it with the hope that I could convert it to a small office. However the minuses were much greater than the plus. This unit was specifically designed for a family but there was absolutely no counter or storage space which baffled me. So you can sleep eight but you could only store food and clothes for 4? No wonder they only made that model for one year. As the salesman said... the is only so many square feet so every time you add something something else has to go.
Do you remember what it was?

Tags
handicap