Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some state laws (WA is one) prohibit any tint on anything but the back seat windows and then it has to be only a certain % of blackout UNLESS it's put on at the manufacturers factory, not even at the dealers. We bought a brand new 1988 Honda Accord that the windows had tint on. The State Patrol has meters and the tint just barely passed

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #16

Every vehicle I have ever owned, I have tinted their windows. I like the privacy for both myself and that of the vehicle while parked. I also enjoy having a cooler interior from keeping the suns rays off me and the seats/dash while driving. All of the windows behind me are factory limo tint and it makes a tremendous difference.

One point mentioned was the fact of the 'double tinting' when driving with windows opened. I do enjoy driving with the drivers side window slid forward.

There are also times I drive at night and the kids have a light or two on behind me to read. I wonder how this affects the tint on the sides?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I see what you are saying with that. I do have rear and side cameras which do help a lot at night.

Also, do all class a's have screens in the driver/passenger side windows? I find them to be a nuisance and am thinking of removing them.
Almost all times I am parked I have the front curtains closed for privacy and to block the sun. I am just wondering if there is a benefit I am not seeing. I mean my class c didn't have screens on the doors. ?????
I don't care for the screen door, either. When I tinted the entry door's window, the screen door was removed, but had to be replaced because the stairs actuator was part of the screen door's latch. I'll check further when the weather cools, and try to remove that screen door.

The tinting was easy to do, and keeps sun off of the admiral when driving south.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #18

Yes and the windshield . Windshield takes getting used to. But love it.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #19

I have a car that had tint applied for over 3*years, lighter tint up front and darker in back no issues or problems. Just had the RV done, same routine and live it. I only use 3m tint film, it doesn't bubble or turn purple and good for life. HAVE A PROFESSIONAL install it and you will love it!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Yes, I tinted mine. A lighter tint on the drivers window and entry door, and limo black on all the rest. My drivers window would bake me when I was driving down the road and that side was in the sun. Made a huge difference.
i did exactly like this and happy ever since. those windows are all flat and square, tinting is easy. i bought the tint films from o'reiley auto parts store, cost $20 in total (one limo dark 20% another smoke 30%, i remmber it's gila brand).

as for reflection, i didn't see it when driver window is closed. but when i slide it open, yes, there is a reflection. the side mirrors will not be affected.as i see them through windshield not side windows.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #21

Here is the finished product. It is 35% carbon tint.
-Drivers and Passengers window. The rest are all OE tint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2445.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	74105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2444.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	74106  

Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #22

All front windshields have a mark on each side about 4 or 5 inches down showing the lower limit of any tinting. If your tint goes below this mark you could get a "fixit" ticket from a cop.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
All front windshields have a mark on each side about 4 or 5 inches down showing the lower limit of any tinting. If your tint goes below this mark you could get a "fixit" ticket from a cop.
I have never heard this and have been tinting my windows for over 25 years now.
In PA the inspection limit on fronts is 35%. This is what I have always stuck to and have never had a problem in any states.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the driver's and passenger sides done. Unfortunately I haven't been able to take it on trip yet. When the sun was beating down on my side it was really hot. I sure hope it helps, I'll know in a couple of weeks as I'm going to take it to Colorado for a week, sun should be beating down on me all the way there. Here are some before and after pics.

Name:	100_2724.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	74115

Name:	100_2725.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	74116

Name:	100_2726.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	74117
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #25

If you look about 4 inches down on the side of the windshield you will see a small marking. When I lived in Las Vegas my neighbor was a cop there and said they wrote tickets for that violation. It was even on the TV series "COPS" as they wrote a ticket for that and other things.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
If you look about 4 inches down on the side of the windshield you will see a small marking. When I lived in Las Vegas my neighbor was a cop there and said they wrote tickets for that violation. It was even on the TV series "COPS" as they wrote a ticket for that and other things.
I never knew that.
How would that work though considering every state allows a different percentage amount? I know in Florida one can have all but limo tint on their fronts due to the intense heat.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #27

I believe it it's called the "A" line
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #28

Plenty of options depending on the state the RV is registered in. If you have dual panes glass then look in the yellow pages for a window tinter that does "flat glass" residential installs as well as auto tint. Residential tint is approved for dual pane glass where auto tint is not and can absorb more heat than you glass can stand causing it to fog. There are great choices even when not choosing "dark" tint. All tint will block at least 99% of Ultra violet and do a decent job on total solar energy rejected. Find a Solar Gard Panorama dealer and they can install Hilite 70 which blocks over 50% of the total solar energy and is almost undetectable on the glass. The darker you go the less people will be able to see in but keep it legal.

Tags
driver, window