Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #29

They're well worth the money especially because most DPs don't have a dash temp gauge. The voltage gauge is a lot more accurate than the dash gauge. I had an alternator go bad over time and it was a lot easier to monitor with the scan gauge. When I'm in the mountains and it's hot out, I like to monitor the incoming air temp to the engine. If it picks up 20 - 30 degrees, I like to watch my other temps closer.

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #30

Freightliner Owners Club
I use a ScanGauge D in my 1999 Winnebago Adventurer, find it great for monitoring the engine but, on a recent trip to the Black Hills it failed to inform me that I had an injector failure on one cylinder. I did not get any warning that the injector was pumping raw fuel into the cylinder and now my RV is in the shop in Rapid City, SD with a scored cylinder. A better system would have been well worth the additional cost.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I have the scan gauge d and love it.
Probably the best add on we have that was so easy to install.
Just plugged it in.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboldag View Post
I use a ScanGauge D in my 1999 Winnebago Adventurer, find it great for monitoring the engine but, on a recent trip to the Black Hills it failed to inform me that I had an injector failure on one cylinder. I did not get any warning that the injector was pumping raw fuel into the cylinder and now my RV is in the shop in Rapid City, SD with a scored cylinder. A better system would have been well worth the additional cost.

Is that supposed to be a feature of the ScanGuage D? What other system would have provided that specific info?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboldag View Post
I know all the specific read outs for the ScanGaugeD and that's not one of them that I can find. I would think loss of power and lots of smoke would be a tale tail to that problem. If an injector is pumping in more fuel into a cylinder than normal it can't possibly burn all of it so I think you would get a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust. I believe the term is called "wet stacking". Something else to research I guess. If you have an EGT sensor in the exhaust manifold I would think that would tell you but Cummins doesn't think it's important enough to add that on for some reason.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I didn't see anyone mention SilverLeaf's VMSpc or their other products. Any comments?
Old 08-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the ScanGauge and have had it for a couple of years. It paid for itself many times over this year. Observed "quick flash's" of the CEL this Spring. Checked the FL LBCU only to find no codes were recorded or displayed. The SG did however record a Turbo actuator code. Searched thru the Forums here and found that code was likely a precursor to a Turbo failure. Got the code eight times and visited Cummins. The code was not detectable by their system as it wasn't a "solid trouble" by based on the SacnGuage, they proceeded thru the diagnostic process and determined the Turbo required replacement. Great news for me as the five year warranty was to expire in 35 days. My learning's - the SG will detect and record short duration codes that will not be recorded in the LBCU. That means you will detect in some cases upcoming problems before they appear in the LBCU. Well worth the $160.!!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Just bought scangauge-d from advanced auto. Paid 127.00 plus tax and free shipping. Now watching mail for new toy!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
I didn't see anyone mention SilverLeaf's VMSpc or their other products. Any comments?
I have the Silverleaf 330 and like it a lot, easy to use. Mine runs through the backup camera to save on room for all the other stuff
New Product Announcement! | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
BUT
I think if I had it to do over, this is the way I would go using a small PC
VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Is that supposed to be a feature of the ScanGuage D? What other system would have provided that specific info?
If the OBD doesn't provide that kind of intel, then a ScanGage isn't going to display it. Sorry for your troubles, but seat-of-the-pants driving might have picked up on stumbling, smoke, etc. As comfortable as our coaches are, though, I can understand missing those signs.