RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Anyone use DEF from Walmart or Pumped

So I was at Walmart and noticed the Walmart brand DEF priced much lower then the Blue Def I normally buy and also I liked the container it was in and thought it might make dispensing easier.

My engine manual says to use DEF that is certified by the American Petroleum Institute AND meets ISO 22241-1. The Walmart brand is certified API but nowhere on the container does it meet ISO. This is a no brainer for me as I'm not going to put unapproved DEF in my rig. I read an interesting article that says if it is labeled DEF then it must meet ISO 22241-1.
But if that were true why on earth wouldn't Walmart label as such?

Which brings me to my next question. Is the DEF that you pump from the truck stops ISO approved?

FLavionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I use only the Walmart brand and haven't had a single DEF problem in 6 years.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #3

Have read on this forum to check container, if buying Walmart stuff, to make sure lid is sealed....seems some have used the product, refilled with water, and got their money back saying they'd overbought....
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Have read on this forum to check container, if buying Walmart stuff, to make sure lid is sealed....seems some have used the product, refilled with water, and got their money back saying they'd overbought....
WOW!
That is low. It is incomprehensible that someone would stoop that low and possibly damaging someone else's very expensive rig to save 8 Bucks
Old 03-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Pilot / Flying J claim they have quarterly ISO 22241-1 inpections on their DEF inventory.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #6

Smile

To answer the original question, by law all products labeled as def must meet ISO 22241-1 standards so the Walmart product will be OK. so you just need to check the pull dates and the box for signs of tampering and you should be good to go.
2002guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I've used the WalMart brand DEF for four years and thousands of miles with no problem. I have read that it is ISO approved and their containers are much easier to pour than the Blue DEF. I did find one container that the seal was broken on and did not buy that one. If I'm low on DEF and at a truck stop with the pump I'll fill there and also have had no problems.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

Here you go..... paragraph 4.

https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...-exhaust-fluid

ISO 22241. Is the international standard for DEF purity and indirectly the manufacturing process. API certifies the manufacturing process to give you ISO 22241 DEF.

Tomato or tomaahtoe.....

As a dealer service advisor told me about 3 months ago.... (sotto voce) ..... "DEF is DEF. Get it at WallyWorld. Ours it too expensive!"
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Two things I hear constantly on this forum that I don't agree with and mind you I'm not trying to start an argument.
When someone says
"I've been doing it this way for so long and haven't had a problem yet." How does this person know that the problem may be just around the corner? This does not give me justification that its OK then.
OR
"As a dealer service advisor told me about 3 months ago.... (sotto voce) ..... "DEF is DEF. Get it at WallyWorld. Ours it too expensive!"

What makes a service adviser an expert on DEF?

I agree Walmart DEF is probably just fine, But I go back to my original question.
If it is ISO why do they choose not to label it as such? Seems like it would help sales.

Could be they would rather sell the more expensive Blue DEF? They do offer both.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

DEF is fertilizer and RO permeate, nothing more or less

You can make your own if you choose if you know how

All the various brands and bulk all come from a very few places, one being in OK at a fertilizer plant
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I go about 1,500 miles on 5 gal of DEF (2 Walmart containers). I find it easier to use them then the pumps at Flying J/ Pilot, even though I have fillers on both sides. I always carry 2 containers; so I have enough extra to get almost half way across the country!

Also carrying a container home and back to Walmart would just be too much work for a thief; so I am not worried about getting water there.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #12

I think that Old Crows link to the article by API spells it out that an API approval means ISO approval...Thanks Old Crow
Old 03-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #13

Used DEF from Walmart for 5 years no issues and WAY... cheaper
blang311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #14

I usually fuel up at Flying J using my Good Sam discount card. Since they have DEF at the pump I just top off there so I don’t have to worry about luging around a container and spilling while trying to top off. It’s only pennies compared to what I pay for fuel.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote