Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Hi,

I went to Just One Bite's website to look at the difference between the green and brown bait bars. I'm eager to be sure that if a mouse should die inside my RV while it's in storage, it doesn't bleed out all over the carpet!

So here's my confusion:

Just One Bite EX (the green stuff) has an active ingredient of Bromethalin... which is a neurotoxin that should kill without causing bleeding.

Just One Bite II (the brown stuff) has an active ingredient of Bromadialone... which is a "Super Warfarin" blood thinner that kills by causing hemorrhaging (i.e. lots of uncontrolled bleeding).

Are you sure it was the green stuff that caused the bleeding? It seems like the ingredient list indicates that it should be the opposite.

Please help! I appreciate all your input helping me get rid of these bloody mice ... WITHOUT causing a bloody mess!

Thanks!
Hello, John. Just me, but if you are putting your coach in storage, why not just use mouse traps with peanut butter throughout the inside, and even in the compartments? That way, you will definitely know where the dead ones are, instead of trying to follow the smell of dead, poisoned mice hidden somewhere else. Maybe the poison would be better used in the storage area outside?

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello, John. Just me, but if you are putting your coach in storage, why not just use mouse traps with peanut butter throughout the inside, and even in the compartments? That way, you will definitely know where the dead ones are, instead of trying to follow the smell of dead, poisoned mice hidden somewhere else. Maybe the poison would be better used in the storage area outside?
Hi Bruce & Judy,

I would... but I'm going to be away from the RV for about 2-3 months... so I'd need to leave a ton of traps to catch all the mice that have come in in the past (somewhat rural area that apparently doesn't have enough stray cats to catch all the mice, LOL). Which would then just tend to lure them INTO the RV toward the smell of all of that yummy peanut butter! Plus I'd rather not come back to dead mice that have been sitting in the traps, rotting, for 2+ months!

I was planning to use Ron's (kb9tf) approach (posted earlier) to putting the bait bars outside of the RV... all around it in the storage facility... in order to attract them AWAY from the RV and, hopefully, have them die OUTSIDE somewhere. But on the off chance that one of them takes the bait... and then comes into the RV to nest (which, of course, I can't actually stop!)... I'd rather not have them die in a pool of their own blood somewhere on the carpet.

I know there's no way to absolutely guarantee that mice can't come into the RV and die... but I'm hoping that Ron's approach of keeping them well-fed (and POISONED) far enough away from the RV will lure them into dying somewhere else.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Makes sense, my only advice that has worked wonders for us is to get some fine steel wool, and play like you are a mouse trying to gain access into the coach. Shove the steel wool into every nook and cranny, remembering the little ba$t@rds can fit into a crack the size of a dime! I found several openings around conduits in the electrical compartment, the converter/charger compartment, and the wet bay. Since then, I have yet to see any signs of the critters inside. I have been using the Fresh Cab bags in the compartments, too. They smell better than anything else, but it may just be that I have blocked all access. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 AM   #32

Putting that brown bar bait outside worked wonders for me. I never even saw a trace of a mouse again inside. You usually see a dropping if they have been inside. After I put that outside by my tires we saw a few laying dead beside the motor home and then never saw any more after that. The brown is all we have used for years until the green stuff came out and then you couldn't find the brown everywhere like you could before. My buddy said he hasn't had a mouse in his farm house since he put that outside in those pvc pipes. Hopefully I won't have a problem with them any more since we just went full time about two weeks ago. When we put it in storage we tried to make sure there was no trace of food inside. But they probably would like a nice warm dry bed. I wouldn't want to put peanut butter traps inside to lure them in. Feeding them outside seemed like a better plan to me. Worked for us. Our unit was in a large storage building that was open on the inside with ten doors on it so you had your own door. The guy parked next to me asked what those were for and I showed him. He had some out the next time I went there. I never got to talk to him to see if it helped him too. The brown makes them bleed out and dehydrate. They need water really bad after eating that. I figured they ate it and then went looking for a drink and died trying to find water.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9tf View Post
Putting that brown bar bait outside worked wonders for me. I never even saw a trace of a mouse again inside. You usually see a dropping if they have been inside. After I put that outside by my tires we saw a few laying dead beside the motor home and then never saw any more after that. The brown is all we have used for years until the green stuff came out and then you couldn't find the brown everywhere like you could before. My buddy said he hasn't had a mouse in his farm house since he put that outside in those pvc pipes. Hopefully I won't have a problem with them any more since we just went full time about two weeks ago. When we put it in storage we tried to make sure there was no trace of food inside. But they probably would like a nice warm dry bed. I wouldn't want to put peanut butter traps inside to lure them in. Feeding them outside seemed like a better plan to me. Worked for us. Our unit was in a large storage building that was open on the inside with ten doors on it so you had your own door. The guy parked next to me asked what those were for and I showed him. He had some out the next time I went there. I never got to talk to him to see if it helped him too. The brown makes them bleed out and dehydrate. They need water really bad after eating that. I figured they ate it and then went looking for a drink and died trying to find water.
I have never been an advocate for using poison for anything, but it certainly sounds like it works for you, and it is not causing harm to any of the wildlife. This summer the EPA made some drastic changes with companies like D-con that make rodent poisons, if you are interested I am including a link to the article. I think it makes sense not to leave peanut butter in the traps, I would only do that if I had mice inside and wanted to catch them immediately. I still think finding every possible access point that the critters can gain entry into, and blocking them with steel wool or expanding foam is the best solution. Thanks for your info, makes me feel a bit better about poisons.

Canceling Some d-CON Mouse and Rat Control Products | Rodenticides | US EPA
Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Hello, Lisa W! If you have pack rats inside your coach, nothing will work to keep them out except finding the path they are taking to gain entry. I have found that stuffing steel wool into every possible access point works better than any of the poisons or smell-good deterrents. I found most of the entry points in the electrical compartment and battery tray. Any place there is a breach in the compartment for electrical or plumbing conduits is a good starting point to block with steel wool. Good luck!
He's gone now. We took the RV out for a drive, I followed behind and saw the big fellow drop out about 200 feet up our dirt road. We have checked for breaches, and did find the one the pack rat got into. Unfortunately, it is above the gas tank. Noway to get to it unless we drop the tank.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
He's gone now. We took the RV out for a drive, I followed behind and saw the big fellow drop out about 200 feet up our dirt road. We have checked for breaches, and did find the one the pack rat got into. Unfortunately, it is above the gas tank. Noway to get to it unless we drop the tank.
Wow! Glad to hear that he bailed! Looks like you have a 2013 Thor product, I would be giving them a call to complain about such a large opening near the gas tank. Maybe they will have an idea on how to eliminate the opening. Ask them if it is possible for a rat to chew anything near the gas tank, causing a severe risk to your health! Thanks for sharing it with us, good luck with it.