Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #15

What is cab fresh? If it's available at Tractor Supply I might use in basement and inside coach. Can never have enough deterrents for these little buggers.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fresh Cab® #1 Botanical Rodent Repellant, 10 oz. - Tractor Supply Co.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Started using "Fresh Cab" last year when recommended by a store manager at our local Murdoch's Ranch Supply. It is a botanical repellent with balsam fir needle essential oil, which has been proven to repel mice and ground squirrels. Check out their website for more info. I put one bag in each compartment, then tossed 3-4 in the coach. I also shoved steel wool into every nook and cranny, looking for wiring and piping, paying close attention to the electrical compartment (this may have helped the most). I hang a bag near the engine compartment, and remove it when driving. I also put a bag in the glove box compartment in our Jeep, keeps em out of the engine compartment. No more dryer sheets or smelly moth balls for me! No thanks for the poison, it just kills everything that can get to it. You can re-energize the bags annually with essential oils.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
The site states they are good for 100 days. Do they actually work longer? When we park ours for the winter, we cover it so it then becomes a real job to remove and replace items like this. I'd love to be able to say that winter in VT is only 100 days long, and according to the calendar it is, but in reality ..... it just ain't so. I basically button it up for at least 5 months

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #19

Thanks for the tips guys, just saw a mouse in the coach last night. Will get to store today, and go to work getting rid of them.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
The site states they are good for 100 days. Do they actually work longer? When we park ours for the winter, we cover it so it then becomes a real job to remove and replace items like this. I'd love to be able to say that winter in VT is only 100 days long, and according to the calendar it is, but in reality ..... it just ain't so. I basically button it up for at least 5 months
I have to stress the importance of filling in every possible nook and cranny with steel wool, BEFORE picking any of the previously mentioned products to repel the little critters. A mouse can squeeze into a crack the size of a dime, so be creative. If you find a mouse living in your coach, it is best to simply use a mouse trap to catch it. If you are living in the coach, use an electronic mouse trap. If the mouse builds a nest, use caution while removing it to prevent getting the Hanta Virus! Never can be too cautious with that crap. Dryer sheets and moth balls did not work for me. Fresh Cab appears to work, and it smells much better than moth balls! I renew the bags with essential oils every 6 months, and purchase new ones annually. They are too expensive to replace every 100 days. We live in the mountains of Colorado, and our coach is kept on our property, so I let my Jack Russell pups romp thru the coach weekly. I even let them crawl thru the compartments, too. We had a mouse nest in our Jeep engine last winter, so I placed a bag of Fresh Cab in the glove box. Have not had any more critters in there since. Sounds too good to be true, but so far I cannot complain.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just called Tractor Supply here. Fresh Cab is on sale right now but they are currently out of stock. Ordered some and it should be in next week.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello, Gerry. I found openings in the battery compartment, along with the front passenger compartment that houses the Xantrax unit. Steel wool works very well to close the spaces. I replaced several of the round, plastic utility plugs in the sewer compartment, also, since the mice could simply push them open after the locking tabs had broken off.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #23

To answer the original question.

Yes, I have used Mouse Free and it did indeed keep the mice out. Good thing because if there was any evidence of mice in our coach, it would have to be destroyed immediately on orders from DW.
However, the product does in fact attract dirt long after application. I ended up pressure washing the underside of the coach to get rid of the stuff.
We now store in our garage so mice and all other storage related problems are a thing of the past.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #24

We tried cab fresh - didn't work. Within 2 weeks we had the little critters, mice; and bigger critters, pack rats in rig. Leaving their mark right beside the cab fresh.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #25

I believe the primary way they get is is the tires, then axles to get on the coach and from there gain entry. I did buy the Mouse Free spray and will likely use a perimeter spray, i.e., rear axle, front suspension, etc. rather than the entire underside of the coach based on the capacity to attract dirt on the road. That is unless they can jump from the ground to the bottom of the coach in which case I would need to spray more.

Then use cab fresh inside basement and coach. I may also buy some of that "One Bite" and put it in PVC pipes near the tires front and rear.

I do plan to store in an indoor facility this winter, but there is no guaranty that it is mouse free.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #26

Anyone used Mouse Free?

I guess things don't always work as planned. Although I think the mice enjoyed it. I found it in my garage this weekend.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412596822.260065.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	75865. Maybe 20 sheets still in box and still smelled strong of bounce.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
We tried cab fresh - didn't work. Within 2 weeks we had the little critters, mice; and bigger critters, pack rats in rig. Leaving their mark right beside the cab fresh.
Hello, Lisa W! If you have pack rats inside your coach, nothing will work to keep them out except finding the path they are taking to gain entry. I have found that stuffing steel wool into every possible access point works better than any of the poisons or smell-good deterrents. I found most of the entry points in the electrical compartment and battery tray. Any place there is a breach in the compartment for electrical or plumbing conduits is a good starting point to block with steel wool. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9tf View Post
That bar bait is 'Just One Bite'. I see it on Amazon.
Hi,

I went to Just One Bite's website to look at the difference between the green and brown bait bars. I'm eager to be sure that if a mouse should die inside my RV while it's in storage, it doesn't bleed out all over the carpet!

So here's my confusion:

Just One Bite EX (the green stuff) has an active ingredient of Bromethalin... which is a neurotoxin that should kill without causing bleeding.

Just One Bite II (the brown stuff) has an active ingredient of Bromadialone... which is a "Super Warfarin" blood thinner that kills by causing hemorrhaging (i.e. lots of uncontrolled bleeding).

Are you sure it was the green stuff that caused the bleeding? It seems like the ingredient list indicates that it should be the opposite.

Please help! I appreciate all your input helping me get rid of these bloody mice ... WITHOUT causing a bloody mess!

Thanks!