Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Anyone used Mouse Free?

Mouse Free is advertised here on the forum as an underbody coating that helps to protect RVs from mice. Has anyone used it? If so, does it seem to work?
My partner is worried that the lubricating effects of the product will attract dirt and eventually you will end up with a layer of dirt under the carriage. Living on a dirt road as we could even make it worse. Has anyone dealt with that?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

If you are having mouse trouble while in storage, we found a way. We tried all of the things that we saw suggested from the dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint and all. A buddy at work told me what to do. He lives in the country and had a lot of mice get in the house. What he did was put pvc pipes with bar bait in it around the perimeter of his land. End of mice. Feed them before they get to you. We rent a storage building that has ten doors all open on the inside. We cut four pieces of 2" pvc pipe about 2 feet long each. We put pieces of the brown bar bait in the pipes in the center of the pipe. The pipe is to keep dogs and cats out of it. I put one of these by each tire. We have never in the last two years had another mouse in the motor home. We have found a couple dead ones laying in the gravel beside the motor home, but none or any trace of any inside. I told the guy next to me about it and he put some out too. It needs to be the brown kind and not the green stuff. It works great.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9tf View Post
If you are having mouse trouble while in storage, we found a way. We tried all of the things that we saw suggested from the dryer sheets, moth balls, peppermint and all. A buddy at work told me what to do. He lives in the country and had a lot of mice get in the house. What he did was put pvc pipes with bar bait in it around the perimeter of his land. End of mice. Feed them before they get to you. We rent a storage building that has ten doors all open on the inside. We cut four pieces of 2" pvc pipe about 2 feet long each. We put pieces of the brown bar bait in the pipes in the center of the pipe. The pipe is to keep dogs and cats out of it. I put one of these by each tire. We have never in the last two years had another mouse in the motor home. We have found a couple dead ones laying in the gravel beside the motor home, but none or any trace of any inside. I told the guy next to me about it and he put some out too. It needs to be the brown kind and not the green stuff. It works great.
We store outside, don't think this would work. If we stored inside it sounds great.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To KB9TF, Thanks for the tip about the pvc. I think that is a great idea and will do that year round.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Never heard of brown bar bait. Where do you buy
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

We buy all of our stuff at Rural King. Any farm supply store should carry it. I first used the green kind and had it inside. I went to check on MH in storage and found two dead ones in the floor in a bloody mess. That fellow at work told me to be sure and buy the brown stuff. That is all there used to be until the green came out a few years ago. The brown works better in that they dehydrate and die and don't smell. Putting the bait outside keeps them outside. If it is a very dry area give them some water too. My buddy had several acres around his house and has not had any mice in the house for a long time he says. The main ingredient in the brown bar bait is warfarin, the blood thinner I took for a few years. We have had it out in the shed for years.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the brand? We just found two tonight. I am chasing mice here! Thanks dogs, for your help. We have green bait and dryer sheets now.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #8

I just looked at the package a few days ago and didn't pay attention to the brand. I will try to get to the Rural King today and see what it is. We just went full time about a week ago so hopefully won't have to deal with that anymore. Our first motor home we bought used had dryer sheets all over in it and because it was closed up most of the time in storage it smelled terrible until we got it out and aired out. We tossed those. We tried all of the suggestions we saw here and still had mice. The bar bait outside was the only cure. Just be sure if a dog or cat can get to it you put it in something they can't get to the stuff. We have had this motor home a year and a half and used the outside bar bait and never had a mouse inside.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

That bar bait is 'Just One Bite'. I see it on Amazon.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
This sounds like the answer but ...... does it work outside and does it take care of chipmunks also? We do cover our MH but it is certainly still outside.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #11

It would probably take out dogs and cats if they got into it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The brown-bar-bait-in-PVC option sounds pretty interesting. But if used outside & around the RV while in storage, what keeps the mice from coming inside and dying?

Also... still interested in the original poster's questions about whether anyone has used (or has experience) with the Mouse Free product. Looks interesting, but I have some of the same concerns about the residue being an attractant for dirt longterm.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #13

Can't answer your question, however I did just order 2 gallons of Mouse Free and plan to use it this winter.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #14

I've had pretty good luck with "Cab Fresh". It's like a truckers potpourri. Truck stops and Tractor Supply. I'm gonna try the PVC trick at the deer lease.