Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
I appreciate your concern and thank you very much for the information. However I am not sure where you got your information on the Endurance tires. I have done research and below is an excerpt of that research.

ENDURANCE RSA Tires (756158674) by Goodyear®. 275/70R22.5, Speed Index 75 mph, Max Load 6844 lbs, Tire Weight 107 lbs. Season: All Season. Type: Commercial (HD). The Goodyear Endurance RSA tire delivers the toughness fleets need for regional and urban applications. It incorporates state-of-the-art IntelliMax rib technology and an advanced tread compound to offer superb traction, responsive handling, and quick braking while driving on wet or snow-covered roads. The Endurance RSA offers excellent grip and all-season performance for your peace of mind and pure driving enjoyment in even the toughest weather conditions.
[fleets need for regional and urban applications] This should have told you that they are not recommended for highway usage, along with the 75 mph rating. That looks like an ad from Goodyear.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #16

Ok... apparently you guys don’t recommend the GY Endurance tire. Supposed to get them put on tomorrow morning but may change my mind. What tire would you recommend for the front and why?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #17

Quote:
I appreciate your concern and thank you very much for the information. However I am not sure where you got your information on the Endurance tires. I have done research and below is an excerpt of that research.

ENDURANCE RSA Tires (756158674) by Goodyear®. 275/70R22.5, Speed Index 75 mph, Max Load 6844 lbs, Tire Weight 107 lbs. Season: All Season. Type: Commercial (HD). The Goodyear Endurance RSA tire delivers the toughness fleets need for regional and urban applications. It incorporates state-of-the-art IntelliMax rib technology and an advanced tread compound to offer superb traction, responsive handling, and quick braking while driving on wet or snow-covered roads. The Endurance RSA offers excellent grip and all-season performance for your peace of mind and pure driving enjoyment in even the toughest weather conditions.
I'm sorry, MO Fred. I really shouldn't be trying to push my opinions or what I'd do on somebody else. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Goodyear tire for RV use. That's just me. Goodyear makes some good tires and is a U.S. based company but by principle, I no longer buy top-tier tires because of the premium prices.

What the operative words in the description you posted is "regional and urban applications." That doesn't mean that it can't be used on a motorhome and will probably be just fine. However, again, they are not designed for extended highway usage or for prolonged highway speeds. I don't want to scare you into thinking that they will in fact run hot and fail if used for hours on end at highway speeds. They probably won't.

But again, the controversy over the G159 kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The G159 is infamous for multiple failures on motorhomes over a decade ago. They also were designed for "regional and urban applications" and were installed as OEM tires from the factory on many motorhomes back in the day (read the link in post #3 by LJowdy).

The reason they failed was the excessive heat generated by prolonged highway speeds. I have no idea why Goodyear thinks a tire designed for "regional and urban applications" would be good to use on a motorhome. Do they not know how a motorome is used???

A motorhome is typically driven for long distances at prolonged and extended highway speeds. It isn't being used like a delivery truck around town, or an ambulance/aid car, or a school bus, etc.

Now will you have problems or experience failures with the Endurance RSA? Most likely not. But for me, I'd want a steer or all position tire used like OTR semis might have the need for as our usage, I think, is more similar to theirs rather than for urban usage such as UPS delivery trucks as an example.

So no, once again, I don't want to scare you into thinking that the Endurance RSA isn't a good tire ...it is an excellent tire just not one designed to be used for extended periods of time at highway speeds. It will probably be just fine for you to use on your motorhome. So I apologize. If you really want Goodyear tires, then you should buy Goodyear tires.

Personally, if I was in your shoes and needed that size for a motorhome application, I'd either choose Toyo or Hankook. I believe that Sumitomo also has a tire in that size ...another very good brand for an RV.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I'm sorry, MO Fred. I really shouldn't be trying to push my opinions or what I'd do on somebody else. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Goodyear tire for RV use. That's just me. Goodyear makes some good tires and is a U.S. based company but by principle, I no longer buy top-tier tires because of the premium prices.

What the operative words in the description you posted is "regional and urban applications." That doesn't mean that it can't be used on a motorhome and will probably be just fine. However, again, they are not designed for extended highway usage or for prolonged highway speeds. I don't want to scare you into thinking that they will in fact run hot and fail if used for hours on end at highway speeds. They probably won't.

But again, the controversy over the G159 kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The G159 is infamous for multiple failures on motorhomes over a decade ago. They also were designed for "regional and urban applications" and were installed as OEM tires from the factory on many motorhomes back in the day (read the link in post #3 by LJowdy).

The reason they failed was the excessive heat generated by prolonged highway speeds. I have no idea why Goodyear thinks a tire designed for "regional and urban applications" would be good to use on a motorhome. Do they not know how a motorome is used???

A motorhome is typically driven for long distances at prolonged and extended highway speeds. It isn't being used like a delivery truck around town, or an ambulance/aid car, or a school bus, etc.

Now will you have problems or experience failures with the Endurance RSA? Most likely not. But for me, I'd want a steer or all position tire used like OTR semis might have the need for as our usage, I think, is more similar to theirs rather than for urban usage such as UPS delivery trucks as an example.

So no, once again, I don't want to scare you into thinking that the Endurance RSA isn't a good tire ...it is an excellent tire just not one designed to be used for extended periods of time at highway speeds. It will probably be just fine for you to use on your motorhome. So I apologize. If you really want Goodyear tires, then you should buy Goodyear tires.

Personally, if I was in your shoes and needed that size for a motorhome application, I'd either choose Toyo or Hankook. I believe that Sumitomo also has a tire in that size ...another very good brand for an RV.
Ok.... I just canceled out the Goodyear tires and ordered the Sumitomo 275/70R/22.5, ST727 tires. They are load range H and nearly $200 less I a tire. I am hoping that they perform well.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok.... I just canceled out the Goodyear tires and ordered the Sumitomo 275/70R/22.5, ST727 tires. They are load range H and nearly $200 less I a tire. I am hoping that they perform well.
My hunch is that you'll be satisfied. Or I'm hoping for the best in your situation. The ST727 is a very good highway all-position tire and as you found out, is much more affordable than the top-tier brands.

There have been quite a few threads on them here on the forum and most have been very pleased ...there are more but I'll just link a couple:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/are-...es-155716.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/275-...ws-237609.html

There is one post in that first thread where the OP contacts Sumitomo to find out if they are appropriate for a steer tire on motorhome and this is what they said:

Quote:
Received this from Sumitomo:
I’d like to assure you that the Sumitomo ST727 275/70r22.5 tire has been engineered and developed for use on North American highways. It’s true, the tread design is not specifically designed for RV use like other manufacturers. But rest assured that the casing integrity of this tire meets or exceeds the standards required of it for extended normal highway use up to 75 MPH. I believe you will see in comparing our load carrying capacities, tread depth and speed rating is comparable to other manufacturers tires in this size.
Sumitomo has a long standing quality reputation for technology; using the single ply of steel in the body, multiple layers of steel belt in tread, and a tread design that will resist irregular wear and give good fuel efficiency and stability. The ST727 is a proven performer.

Thank you so much for your interest in Sumitomo Tires. For additional information, please visit our website at sumitomotires.com
Good luck with them and safe travels!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #20

You won't be sorry on that move. They are very good tires, not what I have but I'd use them long before the RSAs. I have steer tires on all 4 corners and am very happy with the noise level. I don't drive my coach in icy conditions so I don't worry about the traction using steer tires. I do drive the speed limit however and a 75 mph speed rated tire just does make it.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Old 05-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
You won't be sorry on that move. They are very good tires, not what I have but I'd use them long before the RSAs. I have steer tires on all 4 corners and am very happy with the noise level. I don't drive my coach in icy conditions so I don't worry about the traction using steer tires. I do drive the speed limit however and a 75 mph speed rated tire just won't cut it.
Good to hear you're pleased with Sumitomo! I'm going to consider them for my next set although I'm leaning towards Toyo because I've had such good experiences with them in the past.

The 75 MPH speed rating is typical limit for just about all truck tires. How many of us go above 75 MPH for extended periods of time in our motorhomes? So I think the Sumitomos will "cut it" just fine for most of us.

However, my point is that even though the Endurance RSA might be rated for 75 MPH (although I thought I read where they were rated 65 MPH), it is not designed to be used for consistent and prolonged use at highway speeds. They probably won't fail when being used on a motorhome but why not get a tire that's specifically built to shed heat better than one that's designed for in-city applications?

All give another to the both of you!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Good to hear you're pleased with Sumitomo! I'm going to consider them for my next set although I'm leaning towards Toyo because I've had such good experiences with them in the past.

The 75 MPH speed rating is typical limit for just about all truck tires. How many of us go above 75 MPH for extended periods of time in our motorhomes? So I think the Sumitomos will "cut it" just fine for most of us.

However, my point is that even though the Endurance RSA might be rated for 75 MPH (although I thought I read where they were rated 65 MPH), it is not designed to be used for consistent and prolonged use at highway speeds. They probably won't fail when being used on a motorhome but why not get a tire that's specifically built to shed heat better than one that's designed for in-city applications?

All give another to the both of you!
I'm Not running Sumitomo tires, but considered them when I was shopping for tires. I'm running Yokohama RY103 tires on my coach. The place in Chicago that is selling the RY103 had them listed a 87 mph speed rated tire, so that is why I made the decision to buy them. I then found out that they are only rated to 75 mph, after the fact. They are still very good tires and am NOT sorry I bought them. I've got about 7000 miles on them now. They did require a few heat cycles to improve on the handling I think, or so it seems.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #23

Quote:
I'm Not running Sumitomo tires, but considered them when I was shopping for tires. I'm running Yokohama RY103 tires on my coach. The place in Chicago that is selling the RY103 had them listed a 87 mph speed rated tire, so that is why I made the decision to buy them. I then found out that they are only rated to 75 mph, after the fact. They are still very good tires and am NOT sorry I bought them. I've got about 7000 miles on them now. They did require a few heat cycles to improve on the handling I think, or so it seems.
Oh, dang, I mis-read your post. Sorry about that.

I had no idea that Yokohama RY103s were rated at 87 MPH. I'd never go that fast for prolonged periods myself but nice to know that they have that kind of speed rating. That seems unusual to me. I'll definitely look into those the next go around.

As I mentioned in another post, my favorites not necessarily in order of preference are Toyo, Yokohama, Sumitomo, and Hankook.

...and I'll still give you a for what sounds like an excellent choice!
Old 05-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Oh, dang, I mis-read your post. Sorry about that.

I had no idea that Yokohama RY103s were rated at 87 MPH. I'd never go that fast for prolonged periods myself but nice to know that they have that kind of speed rating. That seems unusual to me. I'll definitely look into those the next go around.

As I mentioned in another post, my favorites not necessarily in order of preference are Toyo, Yokohama, Sumitomo, and Hankook.

...and I'll still give you a for what sounds like an excellent choice!
They are NOT rated 87 mph, the Chicago firm had them listed wrong. According to Yokohamas web site they are only rated to 75 mph. I had already purchased them when I found out, but still like them. I'd never drive that fast either for prolonged times, but do run 75 mph for extended amount of time, and that worries me sometimes.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Old 05-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #25

Quote:
They are NOT rated 87 mph, the Chicago firm had them listed wrong. According to Yokohamas web site they are only rated to 75 mph. I had already purchased them when I found out, but still like them. I'd never drive that fast either for prolonged times, but do run 75 mph for extended amount of time, and that worries me sometimes.
Oh, jeez. I'm getting old and that in addition to attempting to do too many things at once while online, I'm really screwing up. I mis-read your comments again!!

Okay, it all makes sense now. Yes, 75 MPH is the typical speed rating for OTR truck tires.

We're all good now and I'll shut up and go out into the middle of the pasture and chill out for awhile. I'm doing no good here, obviously.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #26

Quote:
I have the Sumitomo ST727 12r22.5 on all 8 rims of my 45' Country Coach. They're 2 years old with about 14k miles. I'm taking them off of the steer axle because the edges are wearing bad (may be due to a bad alignment) and their max load is only 7390 LBS; my front axle is rated at 18,000 LBS. I don't know how different the 275/70r is from the 12r, but the 12r is very tall and skinny. With 110 PSI, they look under-inflated.
backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
I have the Sumitomo ST727 12r22.5 on all 8 rims of my 45' Country Coach. They're 2 years old with about 14k miles. I'm taking them off of the steer axle because the edges are wearing bad (may be due to a bad alignment) and their max load is only 7390 LBS; my front axle is rated at 18,000 LBS. I don't know how different the 275/70r is from the 12r, but the 12r is very tall and skinny. With 110 PSI, they look under-inflated.
Man... I can’t catch a break on this. Just when I decide on a tire a bad review pops up. Scheduled to have them mounted this morning.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Where you going to find ANY tire that is rated for that weight? NOT going to happen. Most all tires in a particular size will be rated the same. Even Michelins are only rated for 7390 lbs in that size.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold

Tags
tires