Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj77 View Post
Apparently I have water/condensation in the gas tank as when I get higher than 40 mph it loses power. I can overcome some by shifting down. Is a Workhorse 8.1 Fleetwood. Is there a drain plug on the gas tank? If not is siphon a good option? Any rec on additive to overcome? Thanks for your help.
Laj77
The cheapest and easiest thing to try first is simple-change the fuel filter. If that does not correct the problem, then have a qualified mech. test your fuel pressure at the engine rail. Should be at least 45 psi at idle.

There is no drain in the tank.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #16

I have a gas v10 engine. I started the generator and in shuts down after 10 minutes. So I disconnected the fuel line to the carb and pumped some gas into a glass container. once settled down there was water in bottom. Next step I bought 11 ft of neopreme hose 3/8". Inserted into tank drew out fuel and water was there too. What I really want to know, has anyone had fuel removed, what process was done and what was the cost. I have a full tank 75 gallons now. Has anyone added a fuel bowl to capture water or would it be good to have one.
VickersC
07 Dolphin, 2012 Honda CR-V
Fl

Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Racor makes a large and small bowl water separating fuel filter. They have drains in the bowls.

The thing to keep in mind here is that automotive gasoline has 10% Ethanol in it. When you have gas and water separated in a tank all the gas is bad. So take you 75 gallons gas in your tank. 10% is 7.5 gallons, Ethanol absorbs 100% of it's volume of water. That means you now have 7.5 gallons of water in your gasoline that is not separated (you can not see). When the water is content is above 100% is when phase separation stars to occur (water you can see).

The last thing is you can not fix gasoline with any additives, or anything for that mater. Things will still run on this gas (with separated water removed) but the corrosive properties and other damage it can cause far out ways draining and replacing the gas.

Food for thought.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #18

Addressing the water in fuel issue first. To get rid of the water in your fuel, you must add a liquid that will make the water miscible (become as one - but not in the Biblical sense) in gasoline. The best product to use is anhydrous iso propyl (not methanol as most people seem to believe). Most alcohols are absorbic, but to differing degrees.

Adding 15% by volume of anhydrous (dry) methanol to a typical non-oxygenated gasoline will provide a water tolerance ( the amount of water that can be added before phase separation occurs - read "free water in tank") to around 0.16% at 15C, but at 0C the tolerance would be close to 0%, ie the water/methanol would be a separate phase without the addition of water. Adding more that 15% of methanol can adversely affect driveability on engines without management systems designed for oxygenated fuels. Adding about 3% by volume of anhydrous iso propyl alcohol will provide a water tolerance of about 0.35% at 15C and about 0.2% at 0C, thus it's ability as a miscibility agent or cosolvent is superior on a volume basis, and far less temperature sensitive than methanol. Ethanol is between the two, with a 15% blend tolerating about 1% water at 15C. The best additives (and hardest to find) are the isomeric propyl and butyl alcohols, and above them, the tolerance decreases as the alcohols become less water miscible.

Methanol and ethanol (moonshine) are both absorbic, and will suck water out of the air into the alcohol. As the temperature goes up and down, phase separation occurs and you get free water in your tank. It will rust out your tank most rickatytic tic. Do not leave ethanol blended fuels in your tank over thirty days without adding a fuel stabilizer or you will regret your lack of action. Seafoam is the best I have found.

By the way, HEET is mostly methanol. Methanol is super corrosive, so plan on burning out that load of fuel in a day or so. Methanol burns with no detectable flame, so treat it with respect.

Your engine sounds like it may have a dirty MAP. Buy some MAP spray (use NOTHING else) and spray the map screen very well. You will be amazed how well your engine will run.

They quit putting drain plugs in gas tanks in the 50's. They are illegal in many states. The government thinks we are too stupid to drain our tanks without burning ourselves up.

Jim

Tags
water, gas