Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
This is a good manual on Air Brakes, Chapter 4 covers spring brakes.
http://www.mpi.mb.ca/PDFs/AirBrakeMa...alComplete.pdf

An air brake system test should be done before each trip to ensure the system will operate correctly.

1.Chock the wheels.
2. Start the engine and run until air pressure cutout is reached, the dryer will purge. (about 120 PSI).
3. Shut off the engine.
4. Release the parking brake by pushing in the yellow button, do NOT apply the service brake.
5. The air pressure will drop, then stabilize, after that the system should not lose more than 2 PSI per minute.
6. Apply the brake pedal firmly (still with the parking brake OFF).
7. After the initial pressure drop, the system should not lose any more than 3 PSI per minute.
8. With the engine off and parking brake off, rapidly pump (fan) the brake pedal to bleed down the air supply. Watch for the warning light and buzzer at about 60 PSI and then the yellow button (parking brake) should pop out at about 30-45 PSI.
9. Restart the engine and build up air pressure. While building up pressure, check how long it takes for pressure to go from 85 to 100 PSI at about 1200 RPM. It should be less than 45 seconds.
10. Set parking brake, Remove chocks, put vehicle in gear against the parking brake, slightly increase rpm, it should not move.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #16

Apply EMERGENCY brake "at speed" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
I'd like to hear experiences or opinion as to what happens if you apply the Emergency / Park Brake while traveling "at speed" (45, 65 MPH range). Does the brake lock the rear wheels (dangerous !!!). If on cruise control, does CC disengage?
My 09 Monaco Camelot manual says (sic) it will come to a quick but non-skidding stop. I will trust that this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Your coach does not have an 'emergency brake' It has a parking brake whose sole design purpose is to keep and parked coach stationary without driver involvement.

The OP has an 04 Monaco. Mine is an 09. My knob says: Emergency and Park Brake Attachment 67859
I would guess it is dual purpose no matter the label.
But doesnt the DOT require all vehicles to have an emergency brake?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In an emergency such as the unlikely event you lose your normal brakes you should hold the release for the parking brake then apply the parking brake. This gives you control over braking. That is better than the possibility of a lock up.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Pre-Trip Inspection | Brake Check | Commercial Driver's License

Always amazes me the lack of knowledge that surfaces on the subject of air brakes. They are different, they are yours to use and be responsible for the proper checks and operations.

We always have weight police on these forums, but seldom air brake police...except the Canadian Provinces that wisely require airbrake endorsements. AND now a few states.

IT'S IMPORTANT STUFF...hope it gets lots of reads. and yes a rolling pull is a good idea just so you realize that only rear brakes are applied and stopping will take a LOT longer at any speed.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
In an emergency such as the unlikely event you lose your normal brakes you should hold the release for the parking brake then apply the parking brake. This gives you control over braking. That is better than the possibility of a lock up.

An excellent guide for rigs with hydraulic breaks.
With air brakes, all we have is this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405374618.055587.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	618.7 KB
ID:	67864

Old 07-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Pre-Trip Inspection | Brake Check | Commercial Driver's License

Always amazes me the lack of knowledge that surfaces on the subject of air brakes. They are different, they are yours to use and be responsible for the proper checks and operations.

We always have weight police on these forums, but seldom air brake police...except the Canadian Provinces that wisely require airbrake endorsements. AND now a few states.

IT'S IMPORTANT STUFF...hope it gets lots of reads. and yes a rolling pull is a good idea just so you realize that only rear brakes are applied and stopping will take a LOT longer at any speed.
X2

I took my PA class B driving test last week. Studied the CDL book. Went great! Discussed air brakes et al with the tester. I knew enough!

I highly suggest everyone read the CDL book. It explains everything discussed in this thread.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
"SeeTheUSA" posed the question of why I was asking. Someone else mentioned "driver incapacitated". That indeed is what I had in mind when I posed the question.

On a rain-slick road, it may be that the rear wheels would lock. My best guess is that on dry pavement, my rig would stop reasonably quickly.

So if I have the where-with-all as I grab my chest during my heart attack (perish the thought!!), I guess I'd attempt to apply the Emerg/Park brake ..... and hope that DW could otherwise bring the rig to a safe stop.

I'm still wondering: Would the cruise-control continue to power the engine?
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
"SeeTheUSA" posed the question of why I was asking. Someone else mentioned "driver incapacitated". That indeed is what I had in mind when I posed the question.

On a rain-slick road, it may be that the rear wheels would lock. My best guess is that on dry pavement, my rig would stop reasonably quickly.

So if I have the where-with-all as I grab my chest during my heart attack (perish the thought!!), I guess I'd attempt to apply the Emerg/Park brake ..... and hope that DW could otherwise bring the rig to a safe stop.

I'm still wondering: Would the cruise-control continue to power the engine?

My Monaco Owners Manual states to not use cruise control on wet or slippery surfaces. This is common for all cruise control safety instructions.

If you become disabled behind the wheel, I suppose you have no choice but to engage the E-brake which applies the rear (drive axel) brakes to bring the rig to a fairly straight line stop, because the traction/braking force is in the rear.

I suggest that you and your wife will be safer to "let things happen" at that point, rather than having your wife leave her seat and be subject to more harm than a strapped-in condition may provide.

Perhaps others will pipe in on this.

Can your wife drive the MH? Perhaps safer that way.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I am not sure I want to stop any faster than a two stage exhaust brake and a lot of pressure on the brake pedal, it scares me everytime I hit the high button, mine will stand 43; of motorhome on it's front bumper. I am not sure it is suppose to do it that fast but it does and I have been in a few situations I really needed it but pulling the yellow button has never entered my mind. Good question!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #24

A semi related question. My new to me Country Coach has the warning lights that come on for low air pressure but no buzzer. Are some coaches not equipped with audible warning? Has mine simply failed or been unhooked? How many others have no buzzer. I get home Wednesday and have a driving test scheduled Thursday am and need to figure out whether to cancel because of this. Thanks.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I think all MH have Low Air Warning, mine shows a banner on the computer display and beeps until the pressure is above 65 lbs.

Tags
brake