Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #29

I also used some Dicor 501LSW to go over the top of some cracks on the skylight and around one ladder arm. Maybe I should have just used EternaBond around the entire skylight. The Dicor on the skylight is not flattening like I thought, yet anyways.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
I replaced the plumbing cap today, I did take as much of the old Butyl tape off as I could, cleaned with Acetone as best I could, seems that rubber coating (on top of EPDM roof) just doesn't want to clean up with Acetone well.

I did put new Dicor Butyl 1/8" 3/4" tape and used the old screws (seems they never got tight, but once set can't budge the vent cap - used a driver to start each screw then by hand, don't think they went into the same holes, didn't even try to align with old holes - butyl tape is pretty sticky to it seems). Perhaps I used to much Dicor 501LSW but there was some peeling of that rubber coating around the old Dicor.

I still need to get a screw to secure the cap top to the plumbing vent base, not sure what size screw yet.

It's my first Dicor job, hope I did it right.

Looks like it will be problem free for years to come - good job.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #31

I thought my plumbing pipe was too long above the roof when I saw a few videos/pictures on replacing the plumbing vent. Ventline send me the installation info and it turns out mine is right. Also shows the recommended screw. I have attached it here for others.

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/07/...049-vb0156-00/

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 08-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #32

So I'm back to the Fantastic vent roof repairs.

I plan on removing as much of the old Dicor as I can, replacing some rusty screws with new SS ones. Then clean and prep the area (using EternaBond's cleaner and prep - 2 products), apply new Dicor and waiting 24 hours then applying the EternaBond 4" Tape around each vent (rear first, sides and then front).

I stripped away some of the loose coating that had been previously put on top of the EPDM roof. Not sure how much of the old Dicor I should try to remove (see last picture below). I know I need to clean it good.

I was cleaning off the old Dicor today and see the hinge for the vent. It looks like there may be a gasket or some type of seal under that hinge plate, perhaps that is included with the vent.

Should I take the hinge part off, and apply new Dicor and the Eternabond tape then the hinge back on top of this?

Future plans (hopefully 3-5 years), we will probably have the roof replaced.

Old Dicor / Old Coating

Old 08-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Apply New Dicor or use EternaBond 4" around Vents and Prep Question

I am guessing there is butyl tape under the hinge as it is usually applied first then dicor over top. When I was removing old caulk I tried to get as much as I could off right at the joint and removed the larger bumps around it. Then clean it well with the cleaner.
You are doing it right by getting a good dicor joint down first then the Eternabond. It will last a long time like that.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #34

that hinge plate is on the front (on the front side of coach).

So should I remove that hinge plate, clean and prep that and put down some EternaBond tape on that 6-7" spot (no Dicor), then some butyl tape then the hinge plate?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The service department at my TT mfg, OutdoorsRV, does not recommend Eternabond tape anywhere on the roof except for emergency repairs. They feel it will not be a good permanent seal like the Dicor is and will eventually allow water in under it. It will not void the warranty but not considered as good as Dicor. I have used the tape on a previous TT so I know how to put it down and where it does not go down well like bumps and curves. My almost 5 year old EDPM roof is starting to need a little reseal around the vents and will soon need it full length where roof meets side. I have a plastic walpaper seam roller. Would it be a mistake to use the Eternabond around the skylights and vents. I already have it. Wondering why they would caution against it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #36

from my forum reading, it's more the opposite. Some feel it's to permanent for their needs (around vents).

After cleaning the old Dicor off (as much as I can) and some of the loose coating that was used in the past around the vents, I'm going to clean and prep, put down some new Dicor, wait 24 hours and then apply the EternaBond Tape (rear, sides, then front). I've read a few posts where they don't see the point of using new Dicor if you are using EternaBond tape. Many others put down the new Dicor, wait 24 hours and then tape.

Best way to remove Dicor?

Fine for me, this Coach's roof is 22 years old.

More reading for you:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/what-...ith-98134.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oof-96201.html
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cts-54546.html

Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have to agree on the Eternabond. Wonder why they don't just use it a roof. The EDPM roof and the Eternabond will last longer than I plan on keeping the TT.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
This guy seem to have some good info.

pickinon5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, eternabond, plumbing vent, vent, ventline 2049