Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #1

Approx. Fuel usage Cat 400 at idle

Does anyone have a ball park estimate as to how much fuel a 400 HP diesel
would use at idle?

Thanks

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Dick,
I would suggest calling the CAT support line (877-777-3126) with your question. They will also most likely caution you to minimize idle time and advise to use high idle for any period more than just a few minutes.

Another good source of CAT related advice is the FMCA CAT chapter website www.CATRV.org.

SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Hi Dick,
I would suggest calling the CAT support line (877-777-3126) with your question. They will also most likely caution you to minimize idle time and advise to use high idle for any period more than just a few minutes.

Another good source of CAT related advice is the FMCA CAT chapter website www.CATRV.org.
Thanks for the quick reply. I had not thought about the idle time. I will
check out Cat for the info.

Thanks again

Dick
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #4

Might be off the topic. I know it's not the OP's question or intent here but I find nothing more annoying than someone starts their DP in the CG, be4 they leave, to warm up the engine for 5 minutes... in the middle of summer...

I start my engine and leave slowly out of the CG and then (if I have to) I will let the engine warm up. Same thing on arrival, I let the engine run for a minute, at the arrival gate, for cool down, if necessary, be4 going in.

These engines are noisy !
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
It takes me appx 4 min to get the air bags and brakes up before leaving - not sure how to speed that up. I'll try to fast idle with the cruise setting next time out in the spring.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The instructions for my diesel say it needs 4-5 minutes warmup and a cool down to cool the turbo down so the oil will not coke in the turbo and turbo oil lines. These high compression motors need to be warmed up for about 5 minutes to thin that oil out and allow components in the motor such as the connecting rods and pistons to warm up to their correct clearances. As said I also need a few minutes to get the air tanks and the air suspension in the correct position and do a MH/toad walk around check. As long as the warmup/cool down occurs a decent hours (after 8am and before 8pm) then I can't understand why it will bother anyone since there are so many diesel RVs in a CG. This is just a fact of life. That is like sitting in a truck stop and getting upset at a truck running his diesel.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
This is just a fact of life. That is like sitting in a truck stop and getting upset at a truck running his diesel.
Are you comparing a truck stop to a motorhome resort??

I have owned 3 DPs and never nedded the engine running to bring slides in or jacks up. I move my coach out of the CG be4 I attach the Jeep (as the rules stipulate in most CGs) and I do this out of respect for other campers.

I know you have to run the engine idle for 4-5 minutes be4 getting on the highway but I don't think driving the coach out of CG at 4 miles per hour would cause any harm.

If you just don't agree with this simple suggestion then just keep doing it!
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is what it is

My slides, jacks, and air bags all require the engine to be running. Atempting to move the coach with the air bags dumped would make a much worse noise.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Bigd2, since it seems your question is not yet answered. I had a Freightliner, with a 500HP Detroit, it would consume about 1 gal./hour at idle. K
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

400 cat Idle

I had a 425 cat in my semi, it would take 1 gallon per hour. To Idle in winter all nite I would set Idle at 1000. 730,000 miles with no damage to engine.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
The instructions for my diesel say it needs 4-5 minutes warmup and a cool down to cool the turbo down so the oil will not coke in the turbo and turbo oil lines. These high compression motors need to be warmed up for about 5 minutes to thin that oil out and allow components in the motor such as the connecting rods and pistons to warm up to their correct clearances. As said I also need a few minutes to get the air tanks and the air suspension in the correct position and do a MH/toad walk around check. As long as the warmup/cool down occurs a decent hours (after 8am and before 8pm) then I can't understand why it will bother anyone since there are so many diesel RVs in a CG. This is just a fact of life. That is like sitting in a truck stop and getting upset at a truck running his diesel.
Cummins, on the other hand says not to idle the engine excessively. just idling off an off ramp is enough cool down for the turbo. On start up all you need to do is be sure you have oil pressure and drive conservatively till it warms up. No long idle needed there either, usually just getting out of the park is enough.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins, on the other hand says not to idle the engine excessively. just idling off an off ramp is enough cool down for the turbo. On start up all you need to do is be sure you have oil pressure and drive conservatively till it warms up. No long idle needed there either, usually just getting out of the park is enough.
Exactly what Cummins manual after Cummins manual and Cummins shop after Cummins shop says.... Particularly on the much misinformed "cool down" needs. YMMV but for the ISM (and other models) that's what its maker consistently says.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #13

I dump my suspension before I level up for easier access. My coach will all but sit completely flat on the ground. It takes about 3-4 minutes to bring the suspension up to the point where I can move it..believe me I've tried. That being said, I try to have "all systems go" before I start the engine, so that air is my only hold up. I pull out and try to idle out of the park with as little disturbance as possible.

I have never heard of leaving the park before hooking up. That is why I get a pull-thru site. I have only been to (2) KOA's and Fort Wilderness( which has a designated place to hook up and unhook--and no pull thru's that I'm aware of) I can pull the Jeep up behind the MH shut the engine off and hook everything up without either engine running. What is the reasoning behind that??
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #14

Todays electronic engines are n ot like the old manual ones.. The same goes for the oil.. Any big HP motor all burn about the same as far as idle goes.. CAT, Cummins, Detroit. Makes little difference. Most engines need to be idled @ 1000rpm or more to make sure the oil gets up to the overhead. (My Cummins ISX ran best & smoothest at 900rpm so that is where I set it when idleing. Fuel usage is around 1 Gal. to 1.5 Gal per hour. (If it is extreamly cold or hot & the eng. needs to be @ extreame high idle to get the job done then 1.5 Gal. per hr.)

Pre heating & cool down is only needed when the motor has been working hard like on the highway or in the morning before getting on the highway. Getting off the highway and putting around is fine for a "cool-down" or a "heat-up". (If it's zero then sure.. idle it up and don't move till the temp. guage starts moving off the 100 degree mark is a good rule of thumb. Not many drivers do it but if the truck is yours it sure will benifit you in the long run.)

I have been around trucks and diesels for 30 years. All types of motors.. Hope this answeres your questions? If you have more ask away!

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Long Horn, DRW, longbed, 4x4, 4:10rear, pullrite 25.5K hitch.
Shopping for that just right 5th wheel..
-Gonzo- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuel