Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

Aqua-hot?

First time with this system on our DP. Aside from 1 part that failed (within 1st week, brand new unit) which dealer tech came to site, spend 5hrs diagnosing with aqua hot and revgroup and found the problem. Aqua hot overnited the part and all good.
So far been very reliable with hot water. Did find out by calling aqua hot that the "electric" side is only good for maintaining a comfortable temp, when outside is 50 and below (thank goodness for electic fireplace) below 50 have to use "diesel" side to boost inside temp up.
Electric puts out only 8000btu, diesel does 50,000. Huge difference.
Anyone have any good or bad to add.
DonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #2

I’ve had an issue with my aquahot shutting down over night.

Had two shops say it’s tripping a low voltage circuit but the coach is always plugged into shore power.

Ideas?
Old 10-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

A note about 120V resistance electric heaters is that they are all 1500 to 1600 watts, and that equals to about 5000 btu's. Doesn't make any difference if it's heating air or water, the Aqua Hot on electric won't heat any more than the 120V, 1500 watt fireplace heater will heat. The two of them running together will provide about 10,000 btu's.
Our electric Aqua Hot will provide two showers on the electric setting, but it won't heat the coach in October and provide two hot showers. You'll need to shut off the coach heat for 1/2 hour or bump up the Aqua Hot to diesel where you'll get around 56,000 btu's of heat for your needs. If that isn't enough heat you need to seriously consider heading south.

GEM1N1, are you resetting the Aqua Hot when it clicks off or are you taking it to a shop? Low voltage from the charger could cause it to trip, or something else starting up that runs on the batteries could have a big start-up draw of current. Could also be the Aqua Hot unit itself tripping too soon.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post
First time with this system on our DP. Aside from 1 part that failed (within 1st week, brand new unit) which dealer tech came to site, spend 5hrs diagnosing with aqua hot and revgroup and found the problem. Aqua hot overnited the part and all good.
So far been very reliable with hot water. Did find out by calling aqua hot that the "electric" side is only good for maintaining a comfortable temp, when outside is 50 and below (thank goodness for electic fireplace) below 50 have to use "diesel" side to boost inside temp up.
Electric puts out only 8000btu, diesel does 50,000. Huge difference.
No, they have given you good advice.

Only thing I could add, if you don't mind having 'Navy' showers, I do that all the time without starting the diesel burner.
Saying that, don't go too long between firing up the diesel burner. They need to be ran, just like your generator!
Old 10-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post

Had two shops say it’s tripping a low voltage circuit but the coach is always plugged into shore power.

Ideas?
Another thought is that the battery charger settings in the firefly system may be a bit on the low side causing the Aqua Hot to trip off.

Seems to me that trying to keep with all the electronics so everything works is taking a little of the fun out of camping these days.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
First time with this system on our DP.

Hi DonB2,

Here's a website that gives access to a wide variety (Owner's, Service, Installation, Troubleshooting, etc.) for all models of the Aqua-Hot: Aqua-Hot Manuals

There seems to be a generally accepted consensus that the annual service is highly recommended. Various YouTube videos if you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post

Ideas?

Could be your battery management system is letting your chassis batteries get too low before charging.
2aktravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. The aqua hot tech from the dealer warned me about DIY fixes or having your brother-in-law the "HVAC" guy work on it.....its a $6-8,000 option that if they screw it up, guess what....you're out 6-8 grand
DonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You do not list your coach but if you have a NEWMAR this link may help you has Aqua Hot info.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The aqua hot tech from the dealer warned me about DIY fixes or having your brother-in-law the "HVAC" guy work on it.....its a $6-8,000 option that if they screw it up, guess what....you're out 6-8 grand
Its very rewarding to be reading and contributing to ( Roger Burks )
Forum.
He also sells parts at a discount. And will rebuild your burner overnight.
I keep mine on 24/7 year round.
It and the electric operate on a thermostat.
It provides the brain's for us.
He has guided me DIY for the past 12 years of continuous ussage and I have never been to a Aqua hot Dealer.
With yours being new and under warranty
Your smart to follow through with the dealer.
But get yourself educated and prepared when the unit is out of warranty.

In my opinion
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Na.... If you are at all mechanicaly inclined, and pay attention to details, servicing this unit is easy!
If you decide to service yourself, be very gentle tightening the swing bolts that hold the burner unit in place !!
Old 10-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hi DonB2,

No doubt that you don't want to screw it up. It is an expensive piece of equipment.

Certainly, if you're not comfortable doing the annual service, find a qualified tech to do it for you. Just be sure to get the annual service done.

On the other hand, there are many who have found that it's not too difficult to perform and enjoy doing it themselves. No expensive special tools and just basic mechanical skills plus the replacement parts. You might feel more comfortable doing it yourself after watching a qualified tech perform the first annual service on yours. Just ask him if he wouldn't mind letting your watch and answer your questions.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #13

Changing the fuel nozzle and checking the igniter plus the fuel filter at some frequency. the fuel filter interval can be extended based on you use pattern, how many gallons of fuel.
Those are all easily done by someone comfortable changing oil in a car. The big screw up in hydronic heating is leaving the coils full of water and freezing nothing else
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
In 14 years I served my AHot 3 times as most of the time it's on electric only. It's a good idea to run it on diesel briefly but with ULSF diesel I only do that every other month. Yes, if you freeze the domestic water coils you have messed up big time $$$...leave it turned on while in storage or winterize with RV antifreeze as you cannot get all the water out of the coils with air.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote