Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Aqua-hot heat, pros-cons.

What are the pros and cons of a aqua-hot heat system
in class A; say a 98 Safari.

One RV tech said that it can be very costly to repair.
Not sure how system works.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #2

Commercial Member

There is a very good description of how the system works on the Aqua-Hot website, here: Aqua-Hot Heating Systems Inc. Click on Interactive Product Demo.

- Roger Berke -
http://www.Forum.RVHYD.com

Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick w View Post
What are the pros and cons of a aqua-hot heat system in class A; say a 98 Safari.

One RV tech said that it can be very costly to repair.
Not sure how system works.
Much like a hot water system in a house, boiler heats water/antifreeze mix, pumps it through hoses to radiators with blower fans behind them. Usually very quiet and even heat. Also heats the water and engine if plumbed that way.
Can be expensive to repair.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

If they are maintained according to recommendations there is usually very little need to spend money on them. They are tough, durable, efficient and great source of cheap heat. It is also a plus, imho, to use fuel out of the main tank so you do not have to worry as much about keeping fuel in it. We love ours, our second coach with the aqua hot, and have had no problems. We DO perform the yearly maintenance as scheduled. We like the idea of not running out of propane on cold nights, one fuel, warm, moist heat that is quiet and no gas in the coach to cause a leak (our coach is total electric). If you allow them to freeze ordo not maintain them, they can be very expensive to repair. All just my opinion and experience.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
If they are maintained according to recommendations there is usually very little need to spend money on them. They are tough, durable, efficient and great source of cheap heat. It is also a plus, imho, to use fuel out of the main tank so you do not have to worry as much about keeping fuel in it. We love ours, our second coach with the aqua hot, and have had no problems. We DO perform the yearly maintenance as scheduled. We like the idea of not running out of propane on cold nights, one fuel, warm, moist heat that is quiet and no gas in the coach to cause a leak (our coach is total electric). If you allow them to freeze ordo not maintain them, they can be very expensive to repair. All just my opinion and experience.
I second this 100%. Had a problem last week and it turned out to be a very loose fuel filter that was installed by my dealer. which let air into the mix. Put on a new filter and this time made sure it was tight.

I have a friend in Florida who had worked in sales for LazyDays, which is a very large MH dealer. He once told me when I was looking for a new coach that to make sure it had an Hydro Hot (Now called Aqua Hot). He related a story of how they were forced to wholesale several units that did not have the system due to low demand. I just went thru the process of buying a new coach and during my search, which took several months, the subject of AquaHot was always being discussed by the dealers and private parties as a plus. If a coach has it that fact is always right out front in the advertising. The type of heat produced is not that dry heat you get from propane. The yearly maintenance is important, and if you are handy you can do it yourself. It involves a new fuel filter, a fuel nozzle and cleaning out the burner. You should not let them sit for long periods of time and should give them a short workout similar to what you do for your generator.

Good luck in your search

Dick
Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I agree with posts 4 & 5. With mine the only con I have is diesel exhaust into neighbors site.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I recall it was about a $10,000 option on a new coach.

1995 CC Magna + JGC
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I recall it was about a $10,000 option on a new coach.
Yes, and you will very much enjoy it while you have it and it does make the coach easier to sell or trade.

If you have the washer you will love it and you will always have hot water. My DW turns the shower into a sauna.

Later

Dick
Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The only disadvantage is when you are running hot water, the heater stops pumping warm air. Once the demand for water stops, the heat starts back.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We have it too and love it. We do alot of local camping boondocking in the winter and I love it. Wouldn't but another with out it.
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #11

all pro's no con's. we love ours .would not purchase a rig without it
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #12

Had it in a 03 Itasca Sunrise. Was nice. Until I mysteriouosly started losing coolant from the radiator. It got hot, no coolant in radiator. Couldn't find a leak, refilled it and started off again. It soon got hot, no coolant in radiator. Couldn't figure it out, refilled it and took off again. Got to a rest area before it got hot again, got out to check the coolant, saw water leaking from the area of my hot water heater. AHA!! Luckily no serious damage, and the hoses were leaking where they connect to the hot water heater, and could be shortened enough to reconnect. It was very expensive to replace the whole length of both hoses, so I didn't do it. I sold the rig before anything else happened.

Happy Trails, Forrest
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'm insanely jealous of everyone who has it. We caravaned with a couple that have it and what a nice feature! Great for boondocking too. From what I've heard you just have to be very diligent with yearly maintenance. If we ever upgrade to another rig it'll be on the list.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The only disadvantage is when you are running hot water, the heater stops pumping warm air. Once the demand for water stops, the heat starts back.
Excuse me, what are you talking about, is it AquaHot? Doesn't make sense. The domestic hot water has nothing to do with the space heating system, they are separate systems within the same enclosure. There is an endless supply of domestic hot water as there is for space heating even when used at the same time. At least when heating with diesel.

Jim E