Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
aqua hot, help

Just purchased a 1997 Monaco Dynasty with Aqua hot heat. Previous owner told me the fluid used in the system is a 50 50 mix of antifreeze and diesel fuel. I have been reading some of the threads on this site and am now wondering if this is the proper mix. Also from what he said the system has to be topped up quite often but I don't see any evidence of leakage HELP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeautie View Post
Just purchased a 1997 Monaco Dynasty with Aqua hot heat. Previous owner told me the fluid used in the system is a 50 50 mix of antifreeze and diesel fuel. I have been reading some of the threads on this site and am now wondering if this is the proper mix. Also from what he said the system has to be topped up quite often but I don't see any evidence of leakage HELP
Welcome, I have an agua hot system also. I don't believe that fluid is correct. Unfortunately, I am away from our MH and don't have my manual in front of me. Google Agua hot systems. Many designated service dealers and repair shops will be displayed all over the US. Give them a call they will help you trouble shot and direct you to a manual. RV Library or close to that probably has the PDF that you can download. I have only had the system for six months, monitoring the glycol level, never had to top it off. Best of luck I am sure other post will be mort concentrated and informative. :

Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Never heard that one!

Go to Home Depot, Lowes, whatever and you can buy a special glycol mix for boilers. I'm assuming any contact you have with the folks at Aqua Hot will confirm this is what you should be using.

I've never had to top mine off either, but maybe the design has changed? On the other hand, both diesel fuel and water will evaporate pretty quickly in the warm environment within the Aqua Hot bay, perhaps faster than it can leak out. You may want to track down a qualified Aqua Hot service rep and have the entire system checked over.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
The mixture is wrong!! You must use a special boiler anti freeze referred to as GRAS (Generally Referred As Safe). This is needed because the system works through a heat exchange system. Should the GRAS leak into your water supply it will not harm you. I get mine at a RV store, you may need to look around go to the stores tha cater to the bigger Class A MH it is about $24.00 a gallon. I replaced mine recently because of a leak, since then I have not had to fill it anymore, very expensive repair (9k). I really like how it works and would not go back to propane heat!!! Good luck
Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeautie View Post
Go here and sign up on the forum. Roger Berke's Aqua Hot Forum

You're already getting incorrect and/or partial information. Post your question on the forum and Roger will give you the correct information. You'll need to determine the correct model number of your unit. Some use glycol antifreeze and some use "boiler" fluid.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #6

Commercial Member

You should have model 431 (920-431) in your coach.

Use 'standard' ethylene glycol coolant in your Aqua-Hot - Prestone or equal. Keep it simple and use the same coolant that is in your engine and generator. Either purchase ready to use coolant or dilute coolant with distilled water. 50% coolant / 50% distilled water.

Your Aqua-Hot DOES NOT use the special Camco boiler coolant.

New one for me. Never heard of anyone suggesting 50% mix with diesel fuel.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Go here and sign up on the forum. Roger Berke's Aqua Hot Forum

You're already getting incorrect and/or partial information. Post your question on the forum and Roger will give you the correct information. You'll need to determine the correct model number of your unit. Some use glycol antifreeze and some use "boiler" fluid.

FWIW
I questioned the previous owner when he said diesel and antifreeze and he repeated the procedure. I do have the manuals and will do what it recommends, just have not had time to do the reading. Seemed weird to use deisel, I just don't know where he would have got that info. thank's for the info.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Berke View Post

Use 'standard' ethylene glycol coolant in your Aqua-Hot - Prestone or equal. Keep it simple and use the same coolant that is in your engine and generator. Either purchase ready to use coolant or dilute coolant with distilled water. 50% coolant / 50% distilled water.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Hilarious! The power of the comma ...

I believe the information the previous owner got, and passed on, was correct, IF PROPERLY PUNCTUATED. Your unit uses a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water (for coolant), and diesel fuel (for fuel). But separately, not mixed together!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #9

Commercial Member

You will find the manuals for your model on the Aqua-Hot website, here: Aqua-Hot - Manuals

Use the owners manual for the 431/12 and the parts manual for the 431/12.

The service manual AHE-100-02S (which is almost identical to your model) has been rewritten recently and is EXCELLENT.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You will find the manuals for your model on the Aqua-Hot website, here: Aqua-Hot - Manuals

Use the owners manual for the 431/12 and the parts manual for the 431/12.

The service manual AHE-100-02S (which is almost identical to your model) has been rewritten recently and is EXCELLENT.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
I guess the next question is did this do any damage?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Being a steamfitter, plumber for 40 + years I have installed a few commercial boilers in my time, never hearing of this diesel mix, thought it was something to do with the rv world and had to question him twice when he said he used this mix. That led me to this site to make sure. He must of been told by someone, don't know who. I'LL CHANGE IT OUT ASAP.Thank's
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #12

Maybe you can use Ethylene glycoll but I use straight
Propylene glycol cut with 50% RO water. Rather be safe .
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #13

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Maybe you can use Ethylene glycol but I use straight
Propylene glycol cut with 50% RO water. Rather be safe .
Perry

The propylene glycol boiler coolant (Camco or equal) only needs to be used in those Aqua-Hot models that have the water heating loop that is immersed in the boiler tank and surrounded by the coolant. The Camco is non-toxic in the unlikely event that the coolant would leak into the water loop.

According to Aqua-Hot the Camco coolant needs to be used heaters as follows:
  • Aqua-Hot Serial #s 03-725 to 03-733; 03-751; 03-761 and from 03-774 onů
  • Hydro-Hot Serial #s 03-586 to 03-590; 03-618; 03-619 and from 03-653 onů
Advantages of using Camco coolant:
  • GRAS (generally recognized as safe) (non-toxic)
Advantages of using ethylene glycol coolant
  • Much less expensive and much easier to purchase
  • Transfers heat better
  • One type of coolant (use same coolant in engine and generator)
Not every Aqua-Hot uses the Camco coolant. Lots and lots of wrong information out there.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #14

Yes. but you can use it in all of them. I have a 5 gallon pail of pure PROP Might as well use it. Works good with a refractory. And I think you have the heat transfer backwards.
Check this out.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_904.html

RE-READ Crabby Mikes comment. I think he's nailed it on the Deisel.