Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

I have a question about RV water heaters. I just purchased a 1996 Newmar DP, haven't gotten it yet, so I assume it has a 6 gallon water heater. As I do love my showers and really don't want to have to do a "navy" shower I was wondering if that was adequate hot water for an average shower or not. I was considering having a tankless water heater installed for the shower as I know in many other parts of the world that is actually what is in all homes and is quite a good system. I don't know what the aqua hot is that you are referring to, could someone enlighten me?
paula55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #16

How do YOU define a "shower"???
6 gal hot = about 12 gal warm and at about 2GPM at the shower head you got 6 minutes of water run time to do your thing....

And then about 30mins or more in order to do it again...

I think the "average" S&B shower in the USA is in the 25-35 gals range.... As a country we are heavy water users....
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua-Hot recently introduced its new 375-LP that can run on propane.
JTBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Advantages of Diesel over propane:

1)Diesel from the coach fuel tank allows for MANY more hours of heat than a typical on-board supply of propane

2) Propane systems can create dangerous situations and are prohibited in some driving and storage circumstances

3) Diesel provides more heat by volume than propane. Diesel fuel offers about 140,000 BTU per gallon, compared to 91,000 BTU for propane

4) However, I just paid $2.07 per gallon for propane in Texas. That math doesn't work in favor of diesel. If Diesel hits $5 plus per gallon, this becomes a strong consideration especially for full timers.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #19

No soot with propane. Probably no maintenance either. No nozels to change, filters to replace. No diesel smell for the neighbors.
Only trouble is you need a big propane tank.

I'll keep my diesel as long as Roger keeps selling us parts.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I love the Aqua Hot when it works, but the number of things that can go wrong are significant. I've had float valve sensor for boiler fluid level go bad, water leaks, fluid pumps fail, and more. The parts are grossly over priced for the quality you are getting. A $130 level sensor should last more than two years. This is great for those selling the parts. I have been able to source most parts that are better and less expensive. Also it is good to see more competition coming into the market, this will make Aqua Hot improve or else.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBond View Post
...I have been able to source most parts that are better and less expensive....
Really? Other than the fuel filter would you care to share sources? Pretty much everything else is proprietary to some degree.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Ottffss,

If you are still watching this thread, I have replaced the plumbing that was plastic to PEX, replaced the float, dr add in valve, etc. I have not had to do much more than that until now. One of the recirc pumps have gone out to a heating zone. Now the research begins for a replacement. Also the boiler fluid can be purchased for about $7.45 / bottle of concentrate. I have purchased it cheaper in quantity. There are other items that I can't think of right now.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBond View Post
Ottffss,

... I have replaced the plumbing that was plastic to PEX, ...
I have replaced most of the plastic to PEX (Quest) fittings. Man are they junk. Teflon tape doesn't work on them, neither does Teflon pipe dope. I just found a new leak in one of the fittings I didn't replace. I'll replace it all now.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If it's in the 50s, or warmer, we can use the electric only whether doing dishes or showering. Once the temps drop into the 40s I'll kick on the diesel burner switch. Typically we'll only hear the burner come on during a period of moderate to high demand.

I'm confused by the comment that the pumps run constantly, and are annoying. The only time we hear anything in the coach is when the heat kicks on and you can hear the fans behind the heat exchangers running, at far fewer decibels than any propane furnace we ever had. You can barely hear the burner kick in from the inside, and then only if nothing else is on/running, like the TV or the clothes dryer. From the outside you can clearly hear it kick on, but again its much quieter than any propane furnace we ever had. Those all seemed to 'roar', both inside and out.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan

I have replaced most of the plastic to PEX (Quest) fittings. Man are they junk. Teflon tape doesn't work on them, neither does Teflon pipe dope. I just found a new leak in one of the fittings I didn't replace. I'll replace it all now.
Are you dissatisfied with the PEX or the original plastic parts. All of the fittings I have used so far have been brass with the PEX tubing, no problems.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #26

JMonroe - We have 5 recirc pumps for the aqua hot. They are not loud. But when we go to bed and we are in a quiet campground they are background noise we do not like. Same as in our close friends Foretravel. Same as in our close friends Scepter. Not loud, but detectable. We solve the issue with feather quilts and sometimes an electric heater. Mostly feather quilts.

The propane central heat on our GMC motor home was not noisy. A very effective and simple heating system. It did make a small amount of noise.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote