Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #1

Aqua Hot won't fire.

I have an Aqua Hot AHE-100-04S. It wouldn't fire this spring when I went to check out the coach. It did fire as recently as January.

It had the "Low Tank Cut Off" light on, so I put boiler fluid in, it took a gallon. The manual says the light should go off when the tank is topped up, but it won't.

I can get all the pumps turning, and the electric heating status light to come on, but no joy.

One thing I noted is that the "Low Temp Cutoff Status" light is on and the manual specifies that this circuit is NOT used on this model.

Any ideas?
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Try depressing the low battery reset button. Let us know the results.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #3

Distaff, that is 100% correct in that the Low Tank Cutoff is NOT used in that model. If you turn on the electric heater do you get hot water from the faucet after some time from the electric heating element?

Does the furnace try to light and by that I mean if you turn on the diesel switch can you hear the blower and fuel pump start up and the red light on the switch comes on then after about a minute does the red light go off and then a little later the blower and pump noise stop?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

RV Wizard, I depressed the reset a couple of times as I was cutting off the batteries to kill all the electrical systems to try and force it to reset. No difference.

Mike, the circuit that is not used is the "Low Temp Cutoff", I assume you miss-typed "Low Tank Cutoff", which is used.

I didn't run the electric long enough to know. What I did after filling it and getting no result was to fire up the Cat and take it for a little spin (I had not driven it in over a month). This heated the fluid in the hoses which were warm to the touch from the outside, I didn't open the boiler to check the temp of the fluid.

I then fired the genset and turned on the electric element and ran water through the system to get the winterizing antifreeze out of the hot pipe. I did not notice a significant change in temp, but my bigger problem was that I didn't have any water left in the fresh tank so I had to call it quits at that point.

At the point I stopped I had all the zones lit on the board if the thermostats were on, all the pumps turning, both the electric and diesel status lights on, plus the "Low Tank Cutoff" and the erroneous "Low Temp Cutoff" lights lit. The low voltage light was never on, even following cutting off the batteries.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #5

Mike - I forgot to answer one of your questions. When I first filled it and turned it on I was getting a sound that could have been the burner trying to start - it was a slow pulsing of a motor or blower coming on and going off in about 2 second intervals. This eventually stopped after I turned off all the power, cut off the batteries, then reconnected them and turned on the diesel inside the coach.

I should also mention that the zone 4 light came on, which is not used on my coach. Zone 4 has not lit since. I also had to replace the control board last year, so it worked from February 2010 until now.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

Paul, I did mean Low Temp Cutoff. Sorry. Do you have the maintenance manual for your model? There is a pretty good troubleshooting section in it. The BIG thing is if there are normal indicator lights on the Control Panel and you turn on the Diesel Switch and the Diesel Burner Motor turns on and runs for three minutes and then turns back off or the Diesel Burner Motor does not turn on at all. You can hear that high pitched whine of the diesel burner motor plus you can put your hand in front of the exhaust pipe and feel the air blowing. This Diesel Blower Motor running for three minutes or not will pretty well break down where the trouble is. If the Diesel Burner Motor turns on and runs for three minutes and shuts off then it is most likely the failure to ignite the fuel which is most likely just a fuel nozzle/filter change. If the Control Panel Lights are normal and the Diesel Burner Motor does not turn on then you have more serious problems.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #7

Commercial Member

Paul

What lights are illuminated on the electronic control board?

- Roger Berke -
Moderator - HydronicRVHeating : Hydronic-RV-Heating
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did you add fluid to the overflow tank or directly into the Aqua hot tank via the top of the AH??? If you only added to the overflow the unit may not have detected the added fluid.
Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
But pay attention to Rodger Burke!!!
Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #10

Then you would have a Low Tank Level light on. I had the silly little plastic float sensor in mine and it broke. I put the all brass ($$$$$) one in but if it never fails again it is worth the money. The problem is that you have to drain out all the antifreeze to do it. I did replace my drain valve with all a ball valve and all brass fittings from Home Depeot. Made it so I could attach a hose extension to the drain so i can save all the anti-freeze and reuse it if I have to drain it again.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #11

Sticks - I added fluid both directly to the boiler via the cap on top of the unit and I added some to the overflow (just beyond the cold fill mark). And thanks - I know to pay attention to Roger.

Roger - With the thermostats off in the coach and the diesel and electric heat off in the coach - I get the low tank and low temp cutoff lights. I am not near the coach as I write so a little of this is from memory. If I turn on the thermostats and the electric and diesel switches I can get all four pump lights and all three zones lit, the electric and diesel status lights lit, and the low temp and low tank lights lit.

I am a little concerned that the low temp light is on and it is not a circuit that is used.

Mike, it may well be that either the float or the switch is bad, but I am still left to wonder why the low temp light is on.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #12

Aqua-Hot's techical support group answered my inquiry. First he responded to what might be wrong if the low tank light is on and it is full:

If the low tank level light is on and the heater is full then you have a bad float switch and will need to replace it

Next I asked about the "Low Temp Cutoff":
Can you shed some light on why the “Low Temp Cutoff” is lit?

His reply:
That is normal on that model heater it only applies to the Hydro Hot , When that light is on then your zone pumps and fans will run if they get a signal from your thermostat

I don't know if I like that. I don't remember seeing that light on before. On the positive side they responded very quickly - nice to see.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure you don't have any leaking hot water faucets. Any dripping hot water faucets or hot water leaks will cause his symptom because of the hot water priority.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #14

If it's like the Hydra-hot, mine did the same thing. Take the cap off and stick your finger down and you will feel the float switch. Wiggle it or pull it up and your good to go.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote