Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Aqua-Hot Yes or No

Still in the research stage of our quest for a diesel coach,and have a question.We are looking at a 2002 Kountry Aire with aqua hot,and really dont plan on any real cold weather camping so is the extra cost and maintance worth the extra heat and hot water? Thanks again for any coments.(This site has been awsome for all the info. we have read,and made us feel more confindent in our search! Thanks to all who help!!!!!!!)
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well, once you have it you won't regret it. There are other advantages other than continuous hot water. In most coaches it supports 3 zones; living area, bedroom and bathroom. Which means each zone can have each heated differently. In addition, the system is plumbed through the engine. Which means it preheats the engine for easier starts. Conversely, when you are driving down the road the engine heats the aqua-hot giving you heat and hot water. It's a nice feature. The system also has a built in electric hot water heater. So when you are plugged in the diesel portion may never run, depending on your needs.

The system runs off of diesel fuel. You probably carry on board over 100 gallons, so you have a nice reserve. Otherwise you have to make sure your propane is full, and the propane holds a lot less.

We would not be without it, but we also frequent Minnesota.

But, it does require some maintenance.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #3

Personally I would not want to live without it. I love the fact that we or everyone can shower as long as you like and never run out of hot water, I don't even have this option at home

I it's totally worth it
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #4

I guess I'm in the minority regarding Aqua-Hot. I absolutely do not like it. The electric heater part will not keep the coach warm in cooler weather and the diesel feature really sucks up the fuel. The unlimited hot water is only if you run the diesel burner. I have it serviced every year and it's working correctly according to the techs.
Doc
09 Camelot
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #5

We love our AquaHot. We have lived full time in our coach for nearly 6 years now and we have been in cold weather from time to time. Nothing man made is truly trouble free but the AquaHot has been close. We keep both the electric element and the diesel burner switched on 24/7/365. The diesel only runs when the electric can't keep up.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
I guess I'm in the minority regarding Aqua-Hot. I absolutely do not like it. The electric heater part will not keep the coach warm in cooler weather and the diesel feature really sucks up the fuel. The unlimited hot water is only if you run the diesel burner. I have it serviced every year and it's working correctly according to the techs.
Doc
09 Camelot
Doc, you are correct that the electric won't keep up on cold day's. However it never was designed to do that. It's just an auxiliary to the burner that works well on cool days only. Also I never found running out of hot water to be an issue with the electric element. So what are the advantages? Well for me less than many since I live in Florida and have only camped cold climates a few times. But I do like the radiator style heat as it is not the dry forced air you get from propane. It is also much quieter when running than gas. In balance I'd get it again but I'm not as elated as many.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #7

You lose quite a bit of basement storage space with Aqua-hot systems, but I think they are a definite plus over gas heat.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

Love the hot water, love the heat, love not having to buy propane in addition to diesel.

Bit more maintenance, but from the perspective of living in the coach it is wonderful.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
You lose quite a bit of basement storage space with Aqua-hot systems, but I think they are a definite plus over gas heat.
Good point, it's a double whammy for me as I have the Hydro plus propane stove so I loose tank storage as well. We could convert to an all-electric coach but the wife love's to cook on propane.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #10

it would be a deal breaker for me. i would not have a rig without it.
beaverfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilrah View Post
Personally I would not want to live without it. I love the fact that we or everyone can shower as long as you like and never run out of hot water, I don't even have this option at home

I it's totally worth it
X2!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #12

Our Dutch Star has the Oasis, which works the same as Aqua Hot, but is different. 2 electric elements.

Check to see which it has. I haven't been able to out work ours on the low setting yet. We haven't been in cold weather with it yet either.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Commercial Member

Quote:
"the diesel feature really sucks up the fuel"
The diesel burner uses 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel per hour when it is running. The diesel burner does not run all of the time.

Coach owners report diesel usage in the 1-2 gallon range per day. Fuel usage is ENTIRELY dependent on how cold it is outside and how warm you want it inside.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetop
Still in the research stage of our quest for a diesel coach,and have a question.We are looking at a 2002 Kountry Aire with aqua hot,and really dont plan on any real cold weather camping so is the extra cost and maintance worth the extra heat and hot water? Thanks again for any coments.(This site has been awsome for all the info. we have read,and made us feel more confindent in our search! Thanks to all who help!!!!!!!)
If it was me ......this would be a "neutral" item. If. I really liked the Kountry Aire and the important things like drivetrain, transmission, chassis, tires, batteries, service records, generator, etc. etc. we're "right" and it also had an agua hot ....why the heck not? On the other hand, if it didn't....so what....when it gets too cold for our electric fireplace we just head further south!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote