Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

AquaHot - How cold is too cold?

Circumstance requires that I travel to Saskatchewan in the next few days. The temperature is forecast to be -12C highs and -23C overnight lows (10F to - 10F).

I have a Monaco Dynasty with AquaHot heating and I wondering just how uncomfortable I will be if I elect to stay in my coach? I will probably have 15 amp electricity available to keep batteries charged and to run the fans.

What is the coldest temperature you have braved while camping?
DynastyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyJim View Post
Circumstance requires that I travel to Saskatchewan in the next few days. The temperature is forecast to be -12C highs and -23C overnight lows (10F to - 10F). I have a Monaco Dynasty with AquaHot heating and I wondering just how uncomfortable I will be if I elect to stay in my coach? I will probably have 15 amp electricity available to keep batteries charged and to run the fans. What is the coldest temperature you have braved while camping?
Jim,

You will be fine. My '03 Signature is a close cousin to your Dynasty. We have been in overnight temps down to zero F this winter with day time warm up into the teens. The AH is up to the job. I did have a problem with fuel gelling but a double treatment took care of it.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Thanks Steve, your temps are similar to what I would be heading into. I should have mentioned the coach is winterized and I'll leave it that way, just need a place to sleep.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #4

If your rig is winterized, so is the Aquahot. Possibly an issue for staying warm at night?
Just a thought
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If your rig is winterized, so is the Aquahot. Possibly an issue for staying warm at night? Just a thought
The AH with the fresh water loop full of antifreeze can still be used for interior heat. The boiler fluid is just some form of antifreeze and is not affected by winterizing.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
23 degrees in Flagstaff one night, turned on all zones to not freeze and had to get up in the middle of the night and shut it off, 79 degrees. Don't know if all have holding tank heat but my aquahot does.
AF4J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #7

Steve is correct, the heating loops are filled with "boiler type" antifreeze and the domestic loop, being winterized, is full of "RV & Marine" antifreeze (I hope) so I think it will heat, just not sure how much. I did fire up the AH earlier in the year just to exercise it and it worked fine but it was not very cold outside. Other than the domestic loop expanding on heating and contracting on cooling which may require an open hot water tap somewhere I think I should be ok.

I may even be able to flush the toilet if I keep the pump off and manually fill the bowl with anti-freeze. Expensive but desperate measures in desperate times.. :-)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyJim View Post
Steve is correct, the heating loops are filled with "boiler type" antifreeze and the domestic loop, being winterized, is full of "RV & Marine" antifreeze (I hope) so I think it will heat, just not sure how much. I did fire up the AH earlier in the year just to exercise it and it worked fine but it was not very cold outside. Other than the domestic loop expanding on heating and contracting on cooling which may require an open hot water tap somewhere I think I should be ok. I may even be able to flush the toilet if I keep the pump off and manually fill the bowl with anti-freeze. Expensive but desperate measures in desperate times.. :-)
Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You will have to turn the burner on, the electrical element will not keep you warm...or much water warm...when that cold. But once the burner is on, it will be toasty.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We've used our Dynasty to -20F without discomfort as previously stated you'll need to use the diesel burner. We used the generator as well so if you have power so much the better.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #11

We use ours in all kinds of crazy cold, and we get real cold here just as they do in Sask. That is why we bought one with Aquahot, and it is lovely and warm. Burns quite a lot of diesel, but keeps you warm.

We have done it with water and with antifreeze in the pipes, but generally we like to take showers, so we run the antifreeze out.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
... Burns quite a lot of diesel...
I guess that depends on what you call "a lot." I called AH when we first got ours, the tech said it should burn .4 gph. To me, half a gallon an hour is not bad.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I guess that depends on what you call "a lot." I called AH when we first got ours, the tech said it should burn .4 gph. To me, half a gallon an hour is not bad.
Also, that is diesel run time. I have discovered that in temps down to around 18-20 degrees the burner will run about 20-25% of the time. Of course, as temp go down, the thermostat will call for heat more often and BTUs get pulled out of the boiler fluid which will cause the burner to fire.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Also, that is diesel run time. I have discovered that in temps down to around 18-20 degrees the burner will run about 20-25% of the time. Of course, as temp go down, the thermostat will call for heat more often and BTUs get pulled out of the boiler fluid which will cause the burner to fire.
Yep, that's true. We've "camped" in the warmer months and have never turned the burner on...electric element did it all.