Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

AquaHot Leaking

I have a very new AquaHot that has only been run using the burner a few hours. I am getting some drip spots underneath the AquaHot. I guess the only two things that can drip out of it are antifreeze and diesel fuel. Anyone else had this problem. Thanks. My first post.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #2

BG-
As to your question, you can tell diesel by the smell. If it doesn't stink of diesel, its boiler fluid. The AHot doesn't use standard anti-freeze, it uses a food safe type (called GRAS or Generally Recognized as Safe) at a concentration that will convey heat pretty well. If you are leaking boiler fluid, the unit may not have been installed correctly (which I suspect as its basically new per your post). The fluid expands as it heats, the radiator cap allows accumulation of a few pounds pressure in the tank (haven't read the cap, but guessing its low pressure in single digits), and that slight pressure probably found a leak that isn't there w/out the pressure.

If it was professionally sold & installed, warranty service should apply. If you bought it yourself or installed it, you may have some "discussion" w/the selling or installing party about who pays for service. If bought & installed by you, the only warranty that might apply is if you find its a tank or other internal leak. There are fittings on top; other fitting locations depend on the model#.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike
BG-
As to your question, you can tell diesel by the smell. If it doesn't stink of diesel, its boiler fluid. The AHot doesn't use standard anti-freeze, it uses a food safe type (called GRAS or Generally Recognized as Safe) at a concentration that will convey heat pretty well. If you are leaking boiler fluid, the unit may not have been installed correctly (which I suspect as its basically new per your post). The fluid expands as it heats, the radiator cap allows accumulation of a few pounds pressure in the tank (haven't read the cap, but guessing its low pressure in single digits), and that slight pressure probably found a leak that isn't there w/out the pressure.

If it was professionally sold & installed, warranty service should apply. If you bought it yourself or installed it, you may have some "discussion" w/the selling or installing party about who pays for service. If bought & installed by you, the only warranty that might apply is if you find its a tank or other internal leak. There are fittings on top; other fitting locations depend on the model#.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Mike. The unit is under warranty. It doesn't seem to be too easy to get the cover off the unit to see where it is leaking. It doesn't leak when using the electric hot water and that is all I need right now.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #4

What's it smell like.Diesel or antifreeze? Take a taste off the end of your finger and if its real sweat tasting, its Glycol(antifreeze).
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Check the hoses, make sure they are all secure. I had a propylene glycol leak...loose hose clamp.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The radiator cap on my expansion tank is rated at 13#. I had mine leak and had to replace it a while back. So that's a possibility.
ON EDIT: It could also be the expansion tank is overfull and that will drip from the overflow hose when the solution is heated.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a fuel leak while under warranty and your report that there is no leak while on electric makes me suspicious of a fuel leak.

You do have to remove some screws to get access to the working parts, but I'd recommend that you leave that to a service tech, especially as its still under warranty.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
If this is under warranty, I'd recommend you take it in quick

As you probably know, this is not a $500 furnace, it's a $7k plus boiler and you don't want to risk having to replace it on your dime.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #9

I've had a leak from my emergency valve (they are plastic and essentially will breakdown over time), from my rad cap, and from the heater hose that brings engine coolant to the boiler (preheats the engine and heats the coach when the engine is running).

So there are at least 4 possible leaks, water, boiler coolant, engine coolant, and diesel. The first three are inconvenient and possibly expensive, the fourth can cause a fire that will kill you. You need to figure out what the fluid is.

Water is clear, boiler coolant is red/pink, engine coolant depends on the type but it is usually green or purple, and diesel is brownish. Easy to tell if it is diesel by the smell. Since engine coolant is toxic best not to taste it.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #10

Ive gone into battle many times with my AH. Coolant leaks and fuel pump leaks. Mine is an older unit (1999) so I am guessing it was just time.
Something I have found consistant with when my unit was leaking fuel, I would always notice it was smoking out of the tailpipe first, then see the fuel dribbling on the ground.
Fuel leaks in my case were the end cap leaking on the fuel pump or the nozzle spraying is an odd manor causing issues.

Coolant leaks were harder to fix because I had to heat the unit almost all the way up before any fittings would leak. Let it cool, drain it, repair it, refill it, bleed it, repeat...
The electric rod will heat the tank a little hotter than the burner will (not faster, hotter) so like JMonroe said, bet it is a fuel leak.
Windecker