RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

Aquahot Shutting Down after 60 minutes

We are wintering in Northern VA, and have experienced temps down to 0 degrees F. as of last night. Yesterday i found that my Aquahot wa shutting off after an hour or so. Even thought the switch was still in to "on" position, the light would be out and the system off. Turning the switch off and then turning it back on would reactivate the system for another hour.
Any ideas of what might be the problem.The system has had major maintenance twice in the last three years, including a complete new computer board about 10 months ago.

I will be trying to schedule some professional maintenance in a few days but i have at least one more night of really cold weather to get through. And if there is a solution that is readily addressed i will tackle it.

Guardsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Which switch are you talking about? Those temps require the burner, not the electric alone...turn them both on.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

Aquahot Shutting Down

I should have specified that switch in question is the diesel switch.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

I would see what the error light on the board is flashing.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
It looks like you will have to get by with 2 hour sleeps. I've had my share of issues with a hydro-hot. Changing the diesel filter is where I would start. Good luck.
Happytrails3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails3 View Post
It looks like you will have to get by with 2 hour sleeps. I've had my share of issues with a hydro-hot. Changing the diesel filter is where I would start. Good luck.
I would start there as well.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #7

Your next door neighbor has planted a bug in your system so that if you want to gas them out, they want you to freeze...
Old 01-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Diesel fuel may gelling. Might be the problem at zero degrees.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Diesel fuel may gelling. Might be the problem at zero degrees.

I had a problem a couple of years ago with bio diesel in low temps. It appears that the diesel was jelling in the fuel filter and starving the burner. I replaced the filter and added a double dose of anti jell additive to the fuel tank. I had parked with a full tank but the last fill up was at a station with 20% bio.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #10

As noted above it you have a tank of fuel that isn't treated for winter either at the pump or by you then the filter and maybe the nozzle. Since it runs for a time the filter and fuel treatment might work.

Is the electric element working? If not then you have other issues.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Had the exact same problem. Run fine on the diesel burner after the switch was turned on for the first cycle, then when heat was called for again the switch light would go out and no diesel burner firing up. Flip switch on and off and burner would work great till satisfied then not start again. I replaced the silver control box mounted on the side of the Wabasto and all is well now... New control boxes are available from "Heat My RV"

https://heatmyrv.com/

Stay warm
Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #12

Aquahot Shutting Down

Thanks All for the thoughtful responses, I suspect it is the fuel filter possibly plugging with gelled fuel. We will see sixty degrees here next week and I plan to top off my tank with the addition of an anti gel additive.

My control box and mother board were replaced less than 10 months ago, but i won't rule out that as possible issue if the above doesn't resolve the problem.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #13

Aquahot Shutting Down after 60 minutes

Have done more research, suspect that the problem is in the optical sensor that reads whether the burner is lit. My unit needs service and is putting out smoke. I suspect that the sensor is dirty and providing intermittent guidance to AQ's brain. The system will occasionally cycle normally for a few hours, but then return to the described malfunction.

Unfortunately in the CC configuration the task of pulling out the unit and servicing it is beyond my ability to endure be contorted long enough to remove it. i trouble shot the failure of the electrical heating element recently, found that the high temp cutoff sensor had failed. it was much easier to access and replace but it was a real stretch to kneel and lean in to access it.

Has anyone had experience with an obscured optical sensor giving these kind of malfunctions?

I am attempting to schedule an appointment with RV Service in Ashland VA, but since CW bought the local RV dealership they have outsourced most maintenance to them and are hard to get into. Great folks though. Will update this post when i have a solution.

Cheers,
Old 02-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up

Guardsman I hope your weather has warmed up some. That said we're is SoCal and use the hydro hot every morning lately to supplement an electrical heater. Just winter. In your last post you said your burner was making smoke. White smoke is caused by air in the fuel. Mine was smoking and operating intermittently. I traced the problem to loose clamps on undersized barb adapters on the rubber fuel line to the burner. I ended up buying the right sized adapters (5/16") but am pretty sure that tightening the screw clamps would have cured the problem. Tiffin in their wisdom used 1/4" barb adapters. It's a very easy fix if it works.

Happytrails3 is offline   Reply With Quote