Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
AquaHot woes

Hello

I just bought a 2000 Monaco Executive 40 This is my first RV ever. As I expected, there were a few things that didn't work on a 16 year old RV.
I have managed to work thru most of them and had others repaired but there is still 1 thing pending. I have an AquaHot heating/water system and when hooked in to shore power (I haven't tried it on Generator/engine) I get REALLY hot water in the kitchen sink and both bathroom sinks.. but NOT the shower. The RV repair place I took it to fixed a lot of things but they said my water tank needed to be replaced. They said the hot water I had gotten before was just what was left over from running the engine??!!?? How can that be??? The darn thing was parked over a 3 day weekend.. surely the water would not stay THAT hot for THAT long if the Aqua Hot system was not working??
Could anybody help or suggest a repair shop in Sacramento that might know more about Aqua-Hot????

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
rigosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Spk64's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Floyds Knobs, In.
Posts: 1,762
Does the shower start out hot? Or is just never hot?
If never hot, I am guessing mixer valve at the shower.

If it starts out hot and then goes cold then could be a stir pump in the aqua hot not keeping the water mixed.


Steve
__________________

__________________
Steve
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7
I would think the water for the sinks as well as the shower would come from the same source. Do you have a manifold system for the hot water supply that is either shut off or connected to the cold side of the manifold?
After driving and letting our RV sit overnight the water is still very hot the next day.

Mark
__________________
MarkTGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,393
AquaHot woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigosmom View Post
Hello

I just bought a 2000 Monaco Executive 40 This is my first RV ever. As I expected, there were a few things that didn't work on a 16 year old RV.
I have managed to work thru most of them and had others repaired but there is still 1 thing pending. I have an AquaHot heating/water system and when hooked in to shore power (I haven't tried it on Generator/engine) I get REALLY hot water in the kitchen sink and both bathroom sinks.. but NOT the shower. The RV repair place I took it to fixed a lot of things but they said my water tank needed to be replaced. They said the hot water I had gotten before was just what was left over from running the engine??!!?? How can that be??? The darn thing was parked over a 3 day weekend.. surely the water would not stay THAT hot for THAT long if the Aqua Hot system was not working??
Could anybody help or suggest a repair shop in Sacramento that might know more about Aqua-Hot????

Thanks!

You should have 2 AquaHot specific switches. One is for the 120VAC heating element which is enough to maintain the temp in the coolant tank and for small hot water demands. The other, usually a large rocker type switch, controls the diesel burner. The burner is to get the coolant up to temp quickly if the unit has been off or when you have a larger need for hot water, as for a shower. I keep both my switches on 24/7/365. We have been full time for 9 years and the only time the switches are off is in specific situations.
1. Service the unit next day.
2. Travel day. Turn both off & engine heat will keep coolant heated.
3. When on 30amp shore power the electric element is turned off.

Make sure the diesel burner is firing. Turn off the electric switch & turn on a couple of hot water sources. Go stand out side next to the AH exhaust pipe. You will hear the AH blower turn on and shortly the burner will fire. There should only be a short puff of smoke and a slight Oder of diesel. It will burn for a few minutes and then you will here the burner shut down. The blower will continue to run for about 3 minutes and then shut off. If yours doesn't approximate this sequence of events you will need AH service.

There is a stir pump that should be turning on to help keep the coolant circulated. There is also a mixing or tempering value in the AH box that need attention for time to time.

Make sure you have coolant showing in the coolant overflow bottle. I'm guessing it's in the front passenger side compartment with the fuel tank and LP tank. It's mounted on the front bulkhead.

Don't know about the Sacramento area. I'm sure if you go up into Or around Coburg where Monaco use to be, there will be some experienced techs. You could also call AquaHot & ask for authorized service reps in your area.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
One of the BEST Aqua-Hot tech's in the country is located in Sacramento. His name is Roger Berke. He also owns a Hydronic heating Discussion forum which you should join. Here is the LINK.

Unfortunately I don't think he actually does any work on the AH units any longer but he does sell parts and repairs.

Contact him to see if he can help you or he maybe able to suggest a knowledgeable person in the area that will work on your AH.

You can contact him HERE.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
slemnah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 811
I don't believe this is an Aquahot problem. I believe he may have a Moen mixer valve for the shower. It can clog and stick and you can get either hot water or cold water but no mix. The solution if it is the Moen valve is to remove it (not that easy) and then drop it in the floor. That is directly from Moen. Then reinstall it. The other thing I have done is remove the escutcheon (cover) plate and knob and bank on the valve with a hammer. Has worked a couple of times. Call Moen and they will help you out.
Steve
__________________
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
The water in the shower is never hot
__________________
rigosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Spk64's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Floyds Knobs, In.
Posts: 1,762
Yep sounds more like mixer on shower valve.
__________________
Steve
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,757
Service Help
__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You should have 2 AquaHot specific switches. One is for the 120VAC heating element which is enough to maintain the temp in the coolant tank and for small hot water demands. The other, usually a large rocker type switch, controls the diesel burner. The burner is to get the coolant up to temp quickly if the unit has been off or when you have a larger need for hot water, as for a shower. I keep both my switches on 24/7/365. We have been full time for 9 years and the only time the switches are off is in specific situations.
1. Service the unit next day.
2. Travel day. Turn both off & engine heat will keep coolant heated.
3. When on 30amp shore power the electric element is turned off.

Make sure the diesel burner is firing. Turn off the electric switch & turn on a couple of hot water sources. Go stand out side next to the AH exhaust pipe. You will hear the AH blower turn on and shortly the burner will fire. There should only be a short puff of smoke and a slight Oder of diesel. It will burn for a few minutes and then you will here the burner shut down. The blower will continue to run for about 3 minutes and then shut off. If yours doesn't approximate this sequence of events you will need AH service.

There is a stir pump that should be turning on to help keep the coolant circulated. There is also a mixing or tempering value in the AH box that need attention for time to time.

Make sure you have coolant showing in the coolant overflow bottle. I'm guessing it's in the front passenger side compartment with the fuel tank and LP tank. It's mounted on the front bulkhead.

Don't know about the Sacramento area. I'm sure if you go up into Or around Coburg where Monaco use to be, there will be some experienced techs. You could also call AquaHot & ask for authorized service reps in your area.
Thank-you for all the information and suggestions. We are going to Lake Shasta for the 4th and I will try to find the 2nd rocker switch! We took the Motor home to put fuel and propane in it, and a rudimentary search did not find it, but we'll keep looking!
__________________
rigosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:37 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
One of the BEST Aqua-Hot tech's in the country is located in Sacramento. His name is Roger Berke. He also owns a Hydronic heating Discussion forum which you should join. Here is the LINK.

Unfortunately I don't think he actually does any work on the AH units any longer but he does sell parts and repairs.

Contact him to see if he can help you or he maybe able to suggest a knowledgeable person in the area that will work on your AH.

You can contact him HERE.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
If the search for the extra rocker switch mentioned in another post is illusive, then I will try and reach this gentleman! Thanks so much!

Lucy
__________________
rigosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
dmurdock's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Cedar Park, Tx.
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigosmom View Post
Hello

I just bought a 2000 Monaco Executive 40 This is my first RV ever. As I expected, there were a few things that didn't work on a 16 year old RV.
I have managed to work thru most of them and had others repaired but there is still 1 thing pending. I have an AquaHot heating/water system and when hooked in to shore power (I haven't tried it on Generator/engine) I get REALLY hot water in the kitchen sink and both bathroom sinks.. but NOT the shower. The RV repair place I took it to fixed a lot of things but they said my water tank needed to be replaced. They said the hot water I had gotten before was just what was left over from running the engine??!!?? How can that be??? The darn thing was parked over a 3 day weekend.. surely the water would not stay THAT hot for THAT long if the Aqua Hot system was not working??
Could anybody help or suggest a repair shop in Sacramento that might know more about Aqua-Hot????

Thanks!
Nothing in this description says aquahot problem... As has been said sounds like a problem at the mixer valve.
__________________
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigosmom View Post
If the search for the extra rocker switch mentioned in another post is illusive, then I will try and reach this gentleman! Thanks so much!

Lucy

Roger won't know the location of the switch because it's specific to the coach builder. On Monaco's of your vintage, it may be along the top edge of the counter at the galley sink. The diesel rocker switch has a light but many times the bulb is burned out. Doesn't affect operation however.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8
AquaHot Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Roger won't know the location of the switch because it's specific to the coach builder. On Monaco's of your vintage, it may be along the top edge of the counter at the galley sink. The diesel rocker switch has a light but many times the bulb is burned out. Doesn't affect operation however.
Steve - Understand! I have been lucky to be able to download a 2001 Monaco Executive Manual - can't seem to find a 2000 edition
__________________

__________________
rigosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
aquahot bench Monaco Owner's Forum 12 06-08-2008 07:10 AM
Adding an AquaHot heat exchanger glennb100 Monaco Owner's Forum 2 05-21-2008 03:04 PM
HydroHot/AquaHot Exhaust - Watch the heat! Almost Fire JavaJelly MH-General Discussions & Problems 13 11-18-2007 08:57 AM
Aquahot Vs. Gas Heat IronRick Monaco Owner's Forum 5 02-03-2007 09:33 AM
Aquahot Help hogbreth MH-General Discussions & Problems 6 01-09-2007 03:34 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.