Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #15

Thanks Craig.

I'll take your advice and get the air bags installed into the front coil springs. At least for the Chevy P30 chassis, the bottom hole is way too small and there is no way the bladder can be folded through it into the coils. I'll have to pay to have the coils removed and bladders inserted through the top.

Thanks again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #16

You insert thru the hole I did on my P-30

Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #17

Whem2fish, I'm puzzled as to how I can fold the bladder small enough. What year is your P30?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #18

I have the small hole maybe 1 1/2 inch get all the air out I used my knees roll up like a burrito then I used soap as lube with some work it will go maybe someone will find a vedio
Old 08-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, I am not professing to be THE authority, just a very experienced operator of large buses with both types of suspensions over the past 34 years. each individual has their own nuances and opinions. Mine are not necessarily always fitting for everyone, but have fit my situation very well. It is my opinion that this site is for us to share our experiences in a fashion which allows others to takes what they want and use it as they see fit. My money is on the air suspension every time. Enjoy the ride and enjoy the RV life...
runaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Your welcome Dave.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #21

People-the airbag system was for the chassis being a multi use chassis-meaning it needed to be adjustable for various loads.I have a damon 3130 about 34 feet long and just put the henderson ss265 springs in-probably could have gone with the ss260 but not enough is not enough-the ride is the same-the coach sits level-yes its a little high off the bump stops-but mine were kinda crushed from bottoming out.I had replaced the airbags 5 years ago with the firestone bags-a mouse decided to make his home in one-lol.I now wish i had just done this before-about 3 hours labor on my part for the springs-it really isnt as intimidating as some people make it sound-and dont try to save money by putting in more bags.Weigh your coach at any truck stop scale-weigh just the front end.get the right spring-better off a little stiff then soft as springs do sag over time.We arent talking rocket science here-my coach sits level side to side now and front to back.This is how it should be.took me longer to replace the bags because of digging out the old ones.If you remove the spring to change the bag just throw the old springs and bags away and get the hendersons-it will be the last time you deal with springs and no more airing up the bags and your alignment will allways be the same.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
try this before pulling the spring out. jack the front end up and let the front tires hang. the springs should open up enough to work the bladder in between the coils. You'll probably need to grease the bladders with some silicone spray. Once the bladder is in, air the bladder up just enough to get get it to "stand up" and work it around to where you want the filler valve at.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
Thanks Craig.

I'll take your advice and get the air bags installed into the front coil springs. At least for the Chevy P30 chassis, the bottom hole is way too small and there is no way the bladder can be folded through it into the coils. I'll have to pay to have the coils removed and bladders inserted through the top.

Thanks again.
I have installed dozens and dozens of airbags in the front springs of chevy motorhomes. Your coach will accept the spring through the hole. It is not a fun job and is tough on a 65 year old mech. If you are looking at the hole and it is about the size of a silver dollar, the bag will go in. If you are looking at the hole and it is the size of a dime, you are seeing the bottom rubber pad that protects the airbag from wearing against the suspension.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #24

Well, I went ahead and had the front coil springs replaced. There is no way I could insert the air bags inside the coils. Boil the bags, try to push out all the air, roll them up - fugettaboutit! I had my local big rig shop weigh the rig, order quality springs, and replace them.

I looked for someone to insert the bags for me. They all said that the only way is to remove the coils and insert the bags through the top of the spring. After paying that much labor, I may as well replace the flimsy GM coils with quality.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #25

I assure you that as much of a pain as they are they will fit through the bottom hole.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #26

Agree
Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Agree

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #28

I'm having air springs installed in my Outlaw but for the main purpose of supporting the tail end when the garage is filled with Harleys. While there's no official increase in GVWR, some on here have enjoyed the benefit of an UNofficial boost.