Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #15

Now if we can just get them to learn the difference between flat and level.

Where we are now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1205.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	91985

2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Existing CG's, not so much. If they can they are, as funds permit, upgrading to 50A & fhu's if they didn't have those before. But as for making the sites larger, existing CG's are pretty much stuck w/what they have. New CG's (aka "resorts" ) are designing sites for the largest of RV's.

Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Now if we can just get them to learn the difference between flat and level.
Oh, SO true. "Level" seems to be a matter of interpretation & it's not a RV-r's interpretation.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
State and Federal parks may be tight but there are many private RV parks that you can fit in. Almost all will charge you the full max rate however.
"a full max rate" I've not heard that term before. I thought that CG charge the same fee for any size rig.
1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #18
I had a 40' 5th wheel for many years and never had an issue.
RBabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
Master of Disaster

We've not run into a real issues, but I'm also comfortable maneuvering the coach in fairly tight quarters; others that aren't might struggle more.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
I think the answer is "It depends...". While our Trek is only 29 ft. long, our length with car trailer is 52 ft. We very rarely have any issues finding a site, but sometimes want to use a campground near an autocross or car club convention. In that case, the measurement tool in Google Earth can be used to determine site lengths in advance. Otherwise, when traveling, we tend to call in early afternoon to verify site length.

A good example is Wine Country RV Park This is a small, landlocked, park in the city and there is no room to expand. It was where we needed to stay so we had to maneuver past lots of trailer tongues and parked cars. There is only one pull-through section in the center and we were told the positioning of a Prevost conversion coach there brought the entire campground out to watch...
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by brandonklink View Post
I've had a 40,45,43' coach. I have learned to lie a little when booking camp grounds. I tell them it's a 40' and have never had a problem been doing it for 5 years.

2014 forest river Charleston.
This is so interesting! I have a 40' RV that really measures 41'7", and I lie too, except the other way! I tell them it's 45' because around me, the private campgrounds all tell me "Sure, we can fit you!!" and then when I arrive I discover that my front end or back end has to stick out in the road enough that I worry the whole time I'm there that someone's going to clip it.

To the OP... Our good friends upgraded from a 39' to a 43' and it has affected their choices in where to go. We (and they) nearly always make reservations ahead of time, and while officially there are many sites that are long enough, we've experienced situations where tree branches overhang on parts of it that make a 60' site only acceptable for a 35' RV. I have also found some sites with perfectly clear overheads and shiny new concrete, but that were impossible to level with our 40' that would have been a piece of cake with our 35'. Last summer we stayed at Table Rock Lake Marina in one such site, and I had to send my wife out to purchase additional 2"x10" boards so that I could level, and even still, my rear wheels were way off the ground. I didn't like that one bit (rear wheels have the brakes!) but there were no other options.

As much as I'd love to upgrade to a 45' RV, I think coaches in the 38-40' range are the "sweet spot" for most RV parks that we have visited. If you like State Parks, then 35' may be the best size to meet most of their site limitations.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote