Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #1

Are CG adjusting to the larger MH?

In our search to move up to a longer MH and with the understanding that rigs over 40' (like 42" specifically) and larger have a harder time finding accommodating CG WITHOUT making reservation in advance.

My reason for asking is that's the way we travel. Example: We decided to go to Yellowstone on Thursday afternoon and drove off our driveway the next morning. We were on the road for three week - including a holiday weekend (never had a problem finding CG for our 38').

So, I was wondering: I've noticed that all (most) new CG are creating more "larger spaces." From your experience (those with the larger rigs), are you experiencing existing CG expanding their offerings for larger rigs?

Our major travel area is the southwestern states, but I'd be interested in any national trends.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I believe you would be able to find accommodations with the loooooonger RV. Call some of the CGs you think you might want to stay at and ask them what is the maximum length they accept. Sanford PS let us all know your research results.

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Not up in my neck of the woods. Private campgrounds are ok but most of the provincial parks if they have 30 amp electricity you are lucky.
As for longer spots, our local government seems to be pretty reluctant to spend any real money on the existing campgrounds. They maintain them ok but they are running on a very thin budget which doesn't seem to include any redevelopment for bigger rigs, full hookups or what have you. What there is is what there is and I have little expectation that the situation is going to change anytime soon.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:32 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just went from a 40' to a 45' and haven't even had a chance to go out. But we haven't seen anything that would accommodate our 40' that wouldn't also take a 45' over the years although there was one KOA on the OR coast that the spot we had would NOT have sufficed (at almost $100 a night doe to the KOA motto (Keep On Adding)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #5

We have yet to run into a problem fitting. Leveling is another story, our front wheels are off the ground right now.

But we always find a place by calling ahead, while in route. The curse of got to get there for work. We're in rural MO right now and still found a place.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #6

I've had a 40,45,43' coach. I have learned to lie a little when booking camp grounds. I tell them it's a 40' and have never had a problem been doing it for 5 years.

2014 forest river Charleston.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

I have been coast to coast and never planned ahead more than a few hours. We are in a 45ft motor home and only been unable to find a campground that was unable to handle our coach a couple of times. I don't like to plan ahead because I may find a new place I want to spend more time. America is truly beautiful so enjoy and don't sweat the small things along the way 😎 stop and smell the 🌷🌷🌷🌼🌺🌷. Happy Travels !!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

We travel from WI to UT and then to AZ for the winter. We are 43' long and pull a 30' trailer for a 75' overall length. Sometimes we make a reservation a day or two ahead if we are sure we will get there. However, most of the time we call ahead 3-4 hours before arrival. We have always found a park that could handle us, even though their stated max is 60'. The resort that we use in Moab has 80' spaces. Another one in Burlington, CO is building a new park and making them 80' for the many larger RVs on the road. I wouldn't give a second thought to something only 45' long unless you want to stay in State or National parks. They are slow to get longer accommodations.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

I guess a lot depends on your definition of "campground" the campgrounds we go to our 34 footer barely fits and I mean I have to due some pruning to fit. Anything longer and you'd never make it. Now if your talking places that have full hookups I don't think you'd have too much trouble.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is very hard to adjust for larger rigs at most campgrounds (one I'm at just now is .. Well, not exactly an exception but if you want to park an 80 foot (Illegal on the road) RV here,, We got the sites for it). That said.. SOME parks are making some adjustments where they can.. Problem is the "Where they can" part.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #11

State and Federal parks may be tight but there are many private RV parks that you can fit in. Almost all will charge you the full max rate however.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
[/U][/I].

My reason for asking is that's the way we travel. Example: We decided to go to Yellowstone on Thursday afternoon and drove off our driveway the next morning. We were on the road for three week - including a holiday weekend (never had a problem finding CG for our 38').

You were lucky to get into Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone without a reservation, since that's the only campground in Yellowstone that will accommodate a 38' RV. They book that up for the summer a year in advance. We got one night there, but I really didn't like it -- way to close to neighbors, IMO.

Other than California, we have no problem finding campgrounds, including 'most' State Parks.

There is always boo docking, too!

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
You were lucky to get into Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone without a reservation, since that's the only campground in Yellowstone that will accommodate a 38' RV. They book that up for the summer a year in advance. We got one night there, but I really didn't like it -- way to close to neighbors, IMO.

Other than California, we have no problem finding campgrounds, including 'most' State Parks.

There is always boo docking, too!

Cheers!

Bridge Bay has plenty of sites that a 40+ will fit. It's dry camping and quite hours are 8-8.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
The only place in the entire country we have ever had a problem was the coast of CA while school was out for the summer. Those RV Parks were booked a year in advance. Outside of that, not a problem outside of old State and National Parks across the country.

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote