Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #127

I have a 2007 National Dolphin 34 lx

228 Wheel Base
22.5 Wheels
v10 3 Valve Ford Engine
Front Sway bar
Rear Track Bar

It is bigger than a car but like others have said you drive slower, give more space to stop and calculate your parking. Wind is Wind!

Overall not a bad drive and safe.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phnguyk View Post
analytical - of a proposition that is necessarily true independent of fact or experience; "`all spinsters are unmarried' is an analytic proposition"

That's my problem, no real world experience, "particle board"=bad, well not in all situations, "158 wheelbase"=bad, fatigue, poor handling. Did they drive it, NO, it's all information you can find yourself without paying someone, better yet go try it. It would be like paying a mechanic to look over a coach, instead he just looks at data and says "oh no not this one" or "yes this one is perfect". Some people read their ratings and stop looking because they take it as fact without any REAL WORLD experience and can't afford the more expensive coaches. Our coach is supposedly horrible according to them, 40,000 miles and it's not the tiring, horrible handling, death trap they ASSUME it is.
Wow. That's all I can say, after that reply. I'm glad you're happy with your coach.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by phnguyk View Post
To the OP, what this person has typed is as much a LIE as what you have asked. This person in my opinion is being very ignorant and ultimately hurting the industry. In no way is a "gas" motorhome any more dangerous than an expensive diesel pusher. That is what weight limits are for, to follow, you can easily overload a diesel just as you could a gas RV. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but flat out lies should not be told. I travel with my wife and 2 children ages five and seven, they have both been traveling since 9-12 months old. In no way are they in any more danger in our GAS class A than in an expensive diesel, or driving in our SUV.
You got upset when I said the word "gas". Like I said class A is a configuration . With out you cherry picking every word, I was using the gas as a general , not that a MH is unsafe cause its gas. My point goes to overall weight compared to a heaver rig, like a DP which could be unsafe as well depending on build and design. You try to say you have never felt a little unsafe on the road depending conditions and it's you that have told an untruth.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #130

Any vehicle is only as safe as the person driving it.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #131

Exclamation Escape means

I haven't read through to whole thread......so someone else may have already addressed the fact that your normal entry door could get jammed or you may have tipped over on your side thus blocking your normal exit path. You need to think about your other avenues of escape.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You got upset when I said the word "gas". Like I said class A is a configuration . With out you cherry picking every word, I was using the gas as a general , not that a MH is unsafe cause its gas. My point goes to overall weight compared to a heaver rig, like a DP which could be unsafe as well depending on build and design. You try to say you have never felt a little unsafe on the road depending conditions and it's you that have told an untruth.

I quoted your words, you said GAS class A motorhomes on their lighter chassis with the box on top, are unsafe, according to you. How could you say you weren't specifically calling GAS CLASS A's unsafe. You were not using gas as a general. Now you're being UNTRUTHFUL.

And never have I or any of my family members felt unsafe behind the wheel of our coach. NEVER. If I did I would not drive it. Maybe you need to learn to drive, short of meteors falling from the sky there is no reason to be scared or feel unsafe, that's what brakes are for, you pull over. As long as you're in control you should never feel scared/unsafe. I have been cut off, had people swerve, stopped short for idiots pulling out in front of me, but NEVER have I felt unsafe. Not even a LITTLE. If anything I feel much safer being able to see my surroundings so much better than in a car. I guess I'm just a better driver than you.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Wow. That's all I can say, after that reply. I'm glad you're happy with your coach.

Well I'm glad you own a Newmar, awesome coaches, but some can't afford them. I own a Hurricane, entry level. If I had listened to RVCG without test driving one or asking owners out on the road, I would never have bought ours let alone be on the road at all considering they rate the way they do, I would never have been able to afford an RV. RVCG do not give real world experience. They claim to survey people who own the units, but yet Thor is leading the pack for a few years now. No it's not a Newmar, Tiffin, but it gets the job done, and done well.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #134

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFLY2
I haven't read through to whole thread......so someone else may have already addressed the fact that your normal entry door could get jammed or you may have tipped over on your side thus blocking your normal exit path. You need to think about your other avenues of escape.
As I said before - anything can happen - but suspect if we were to tip over the windshield would pop out. If not - it's coming out one way or the other. Or any other window - I have several to choose from that even I can fit through. Even my driver side window is big enough.

I still wonder if we are trying to convince the OP to stay away from Class As because they are unsafe while we enjoy them, or what exactly all this back and forth and arguing is all about. Some of this thread is pretty petty bickering. JMHO -- YMMV
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #135

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=SocioSam;1610664]We are planning to purchase an RV in the next 3 months. We have been looking at various models, talking to friends who RV, and reading blogs.
One article recommended against Class A calling them dangerous because 1) they are top heavy and tend to rollover, 2) the have no front end protection because motor is under it, 3) no air bags, 4) harder to drive especially when windy.
/QUOTE]

Can you site and quote your source?
Old 06-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Hi folks. Your friendly neighborhood moderator here.

Let's tone it down and move on please, and refrain from personal comments.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #137

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with 95% of what has been written.
No moving vehicle is 100% safe (nor stationary for that matter either.) We can do things to make it less safe like overloading or going too fast for the conditions or not paying good attention and adjusting for road, traffic and weather conditions. Securing potential flying objects will help protect them and us.
But one thing that makes for more danger was alluded to in the posts about statistics and seat belts. It mentioned the report of people being killed in the back versus the front. More people are killed in the front because more people ride there. Often there is only the driver and the co-pilot in the vehicle. Of people killed in the back, only two, it was said, were wearing their seat belt, the rest were not.
This brings me to the point. One thing we can all do to minimize our risk is conscientiously wear our seat belt. Ideally and legally we should do this all the time the vehical is moving.
I will admit, however, I have a bladder that sends me to the bathroom while DH continues driving. Also from time to time it falls on me to replenish our beverages (later makes more bathroom trips.) Those are the most dangerous times regardless of which class A you have and the only thing I am aware of that would make it more dangerous than some types of RVs where you don't have that possibilty. I have even heard of people driving down the road while a passenger was cooking!!!
I try to minimize out-of-seat-belt time and then only when conditions are "looking safe". But every one should be aware that even a relatively small accident could prove fatal if someone is moving about in the coach. They themself become a flying object and may hit whatever is in their path at the speed that the vehicle was traveling. This happened to an acquaintance of mine in what would have been a very minor accident. Fortunately, the outcome was not fatal but there were significant facial lacerations and lots of blood.
Irene
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
I've read thru this from the start and watched the topic change to a sort of "he said she said" thing. Way too much quibbling, IMHO.

Simply being alive makes accidents possible. All things are potentially dangerous - you just gotta make a decision regarding risk/reward. I choose the level of risk in my life (I won't bungee jump or rock climb). Operating a 37,000 pound DP that's easier to drive than a luxury SUV is a risk I'm extremely happy to take. And it's a lot safer than the "squash cars" that most people drive!

At the end of the day, all these "stats"; the "gas vs DP" argument; and the "whatever" - though interesting and perhaps even helpful - are ultimately irrelevant. The only control you'll ever truly have is over yourself. So, just make your own decision based on what's important to you - and stick to it. Then go have fun!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
Yes a class A motor home is dangerous. But not enough to cause me to abandon RVing, just dangerous enough to respect it. I built a crystal radio in cub scouts, I didn't think it was dangerous, but I fell out of a 3rd story window trying to string the antenna.
Racing motorcycles was dangerous, but lots of fun, same with old English sports cars, sail boats & 60mph bass boats. Let danger temper your choices,not dictate them & enjoy life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Art - I assume the 60 mph bass boat was slowed down by the weight of fish. :
LOL!!!

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
I agree with 95% of what has been written.
No moving vehicle is 100% safe (nor stationary for that matter either.) We can do things to make it less safe like overloading or going too fast for the conditions or not paying good attention and adjusting for road, traffic and weather conditions. Securing potential flying objects will help protect them and us.
But one thing that makes for more danger was alluded to in the posts about statistics and seat belts. It mentioned the report of people being killed in the back versus the front. More people are killed in the front because more people ride there. Often there is only the driver and the co-pilot in the vehicle. Of people killed in the back, only two, it was said, were wearing their seat belt, the rest were not.
This brings me to the point. One thing we can all do to minimize our risk is conscientiously wear our seat belt. Ideally and legally we should do this all the time the vehical is moving.
I will admit, however, I have a bladder that sends me to the bathroom while DH continues driving. Also from time to time it falls on me to replenish our beverages (later makes more bathroom trips.) Those are the most dangerous times regardless of which class A you have and the only thing I am aware of that would make it more dangerous than some types of RVs where you don't have that possibilty. I have even heard of people driving down the road while a passenger was cooking!!!
I try to minimize out-of-seat-belt time and then only when conditions are "looking safe". But every one should be aware that even a relatively small accident could prove fatal if someone is moving about in the coach. They themself become a flying object and may hit whatever is in their path at the speed that the vehicle was traveling. This happened to an acquaintance of mine in what would have been a very minor accident. Fortunately, the outcome was not fatal but there were significant facial lacerations and lots of blood.
Irene
I like the seat belt thoughts, however I am not aware of any " law" that requires them in a MH. My guess is, like school buses there is no requirement. Many older units do not have them ether. If anyone is aware of the requirement to wear belts , I would like to know ?