Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #43

Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Go for the "A" if that's what you like - the same basic chassis style used in a bus or UPS/FedEx/Bread truck - just take it slow and easy, these do not have sports car performance/handling but with defensive driving they have manageable safety levels. Thinking ahead helps a lot.
There are differences that a green horn may not realize between most class A coaches.....till he gets behind the wheel. Geed example when years ago I was looking for my first coach. I drove the Discovery, which had a great price point, but little power with a cummins class B engine. The big difference was when I got into the cockpit of the Momaco Windsor it was like a different world , just the steering, handling, road feel and stability ( all safety related) sold me on the spot, even before I got out of the dealers gate.

darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #44
All I can say is there is a lot of danger (class As) out there inclueding me

ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #45
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
We are planning to purchase an RV in the next 3 months. We have been looking at various models, talking to friends who RV, and reading blogs.

One article recommended against Class A calling them dangerous because 1) they are top heavy and tend to rollover, 2) the have no front end protection because motor is under it, 3) no air bags, 4) harder to drive especially when windy.

But we like the layout of Class A.

Can you help us out? Thanks for any suggestions.
1, (maybe, if you're a terrible driver),..2 and 3, (if you plan on crashing),..
4, (far better than a class C).

I've only found mine to be DANGEROUS to my wallet, (and my life savings).
'96 Safari, 134k miles, (103k mine)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by mel stuplich

Ah come on.... You mean ya never whacked your head or shoulder on a slide out. Never had something that shifted underway fall out of bay onto your foot? Danger around every corner! But just think how much easier it is to get around without carrying all the money.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #47
If you drive a MH like a car then it and you can be dangerous. They are condos on wheels and should be driven slower and more methodical and with much more respect for braking distances, turning radius, and height constraints.

Regarding tipping over. That was a concern of mine until I saw what all goes into a chassis and where the likely center of gravity is. It is much lower than we think. Now, if you choose to take turns as fast and tight as you would in a corvette, then you are probably going to end up on your side.

It is true about comfort. I can drive for hours without hardly any fatigue and there is almost no chance of me falling asleep. I'm too scared to fall asleep. Just kidding.

Good luck.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #48

I'm gently reminded by my DW when I make a turn a little too fast for her comfort that I'm "turning like a car" I hate it when that happens. Another one of her favorites phrases is "white line gone"
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #49
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

I'm sure there's very few people that plan on crashing and accidents happen - that's why they are called 'accidents' and bad drivers might have more accidents but good drivers sometimes have them too.

I like to think that I drive defensively and as safely as possible but I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep the mh under control if I was to get a blowout at 60MPH on the interstate or if another vehicle suddenly swerved into my lane (in case you never calculated, at 60 mph, you travel 88 feet per second, oncoming traffic at 60 mph approaches you at 176 ft per second so if a vehicle 50 ft away in the opposite direction swerves in your lane, you have less than 1/4 of a second to notice it, react and stop or get out of it's way - if you have air brakes, 1/4 second is less than the lag time in the air system so even if you re-acted immediately (very unlikely) and your mh could stop instantly from 60 mph (obviously that's not the case when any vehicle), you would still hit the other vehicle at full speed because of the lag time in air brake system.

As mentioned in a prior response I do drive a class A (and I travel in airplanes and walk across the street and we have electricity and gas in our house and do all sorts of other things that could potentially kill me) but I do so knowing that there is some risk driving a motor home. If I'm ever in an accident and I hit a smaller, lighter vehicle, I'll probably be okay but if I hit something solid (e.g. overpass) or lose control, go off the road and rollover, it's very likely the accident will kill me and my family. In a collision with a solid object or rollover, I'd be much safer even the worst built of sub-compacts (or in our Chrysler Sebring convertible which is also not a particularly safe vehicle as the roll over protection requirements isn't all that strict either). The excuse that there's no place for airbags in a motor home is just silly - our minivan has 8 airbags, I'm sure they can find lots of places to put airbags in a class A - that said, airbags won't help that much if the rest of the vehicle crushes itself like a pop can. And if the lack of any sort of structural integrity wasn't enough, there are tons of objects inside a mh that will probably come loose in an accident: stand alone chairs would fly, the CRT TV above your head would probably fly, the coffee maker that's being held by two bolts in the cabinets will probably fly - it doesn't sound like much but have someone throw a coffee maker or a toaster at your head and it will hurt. At 30-40MPH the same coffee maker or toaster will probably kill you.

A large, heavy motor home might feel safer on the road but it's a false security and in a single vehicle accident, you're probably much more likely to get killed.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #50
Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like an article from RV Consumers Group, written by someone who DOES NOT RV. Why anyone pays any attention to him is beyond me, let alone PAY for his 'interpretations'!

Please do note that there is a difference between a gas Class A and a diesel pusher Class A, and it is not just the price. So do your homework as you are looking at them so you understand the pros and cons of each type.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #51
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
A large, heavy motor home might feel safer on the road but it's a false security and in a single vehicle accident, you're probably much more likely to get killed.
No point in quoting your entire post, but I pretty much agree with all your points. IMO... For some reason as consumers we continue to demand greater safety and innovation in our cars..,yet in our MH's people seem more concerned with granite countertops than safety features.

In fact, a recent post on this Forum was someone asking how to disable his DRL's....great... why not disable the ABS, the air-brake alarms, the jack's down alarm, the CO2/ Fire / alarms while we're at it? Is it any wonder the Manufacturers see little economic or business incentives in safety features

I'll keep driving my Class A, but I am under no illusions that there is "anything" safe about it's design or ability to protect me when things go sideways!
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #52
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Roll over. I am convinced if I have a blow out on the front that is going to put me in a ditch and I will roll over.
A few years ago I was driving a Kentucky road, Narrow with a deep ditch and NO Shoulder.. I drifted into the ditch... Kept her upright though... (I will admit that it was a change underwear and bleach the seat situation) But I kept it upright.

Now I will also admit the folks who built this house on wheels did a da** Good Job of building the suspension. Took me a month to hose out all the grass though. (That's Kentucky Blue, not the smoking kind).

Recommendation There some videos on the web, subject line of the thread is "Watching these videos may save your life" Subject line tells the truth.

Now, that's not what I had to do.. (Since I did not blow a tire) but.... I did have do do some very quick thinking.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #53

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Well, I personally disagree with all that!

Most of the weight is down low, i.e. diesel engine, transmission, chassis, generator, etc.

As for front-end protection, I guess it depends on what you hit! You are sitting up so high that if you hit a normal-sized truck or car the main impact will be below you. Also, the seats are several feet back from the front windshield.

It's true that our older model does not have driver or passenger air bags. I'm not sure about late model coaches.

My MH is as easy to drive as my little Nissan Frontier pickup, and a LOT more comfortable! Of course, you have to get accustomed to the large size but that was not a problem for me, and I had never driven a large vehicle like that before! We took a trip out west last spring, traveling over 7000 miles through some really windy conditions, and I had no problems with stability!

I can only speak for myself and my motorhome. I realize the comfort and stability can vary widely depending on the model. Just do a LOT of research before you decide what to buy. It will definitely pay off in the end!

We pulled a 5er for 10 years before getting the Class A. We were very apprehensive about making the change, but now we love it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
I have a class A 36 ft and love it. You drive a little slower (60 mph) with the CRV in tow. You leave a little more room to stop but other than it beats our 5th wheel by a mile.
2011 Serrano 31X, 2006 CR-V
Denniscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #54
blow outs

Blew left front tire day before Easter this year, 65 MPH downhill on a curve in west Texas...exciting, scared the dog to death....spent six hours waiting for a tow truck and had to get towed to Ozona TX....it ripped out tons of wiring and had to wait till Tuesday to get a tire....the whole thing was something I do not wish to repeat....the tire was I thought the best tire I had a nice Michelin...both fronts are now new....

OH I had GoodSam insurance which paid for the tow which I know was not cheap!
pvoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #55

Ya, there are a lot of us who see all this from a different perspective. It's the trucker in us, how many are willing to admit that,....? I am.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #56

Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Same here. You should also drive out the East entrance to Yellowstone for a thrill! Curvy road, almost no shoulder nor guardrails and it's very close to straight down in the river.
I and a few friends tried entering east portal in Late June once
.Three feet of snow, and the ranger said we could not go without M&S tires! We eventually went anyway, no heat, no wipers, no top up , and very narrow 24 inch tires....Guess?? Yes , my ride was a 1913 Marmon. Was a sight to behold arriving Hotel as huge snow balls ! One to remember.