Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
We are planning to purchase an RV in the next 3 months. We have been looking at various models, talking to friends who RV, and reading blogs.

One article recommended against Class A calling them dangerous because 1) they are top heavy and tend to rollover, 2) the have no front end protection because motor is under it, 3) no air bags, 4) harder to drive especially when windy.

But we like the layout of Class A.

Can you help us out? Thanks for any suggestions.
Where was that article? I suppose any mode of transportation is dangerous, let's see....Planes can fall from the sky, crash or explode...Trains can derail and crash....Bicycles can tip over and you fall and crack your skull... Gosh now that I think about it...Walking!! My 85 year old mother was walking with me out of a movie theater, tripped and fell hitting a hallway corner and broke her collar bone...clearly she is "top heavy and tend to rollover" ..."no front end protection"..... but it wasn't windy in there so handling wasn't the issue!

Seriously, any mode of transportation has it's risk. Matter of fact living causes death! Like the prior poster said....Get a motorhome and get camping!!

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Look, if you take the proper precautions, slow down in high winds for example, or not travel in high winds, then Class A travel is no more, and in some cases safer than other RVs. TT are notorious for problems in wind, especially if proper hitching precautions are not taken. Any articulating vehicle (18 wheelers, 5ers) can have problems with jack knifing in slippery conditions or if brakes are not adjusted properly so that trailer brakes start skidding more than tow vehicle brakes. This is especially true in conditions where the brakes are set for fully loaded, and the trailer is not loaded.

Just go out and enjoy your MH. I know I enjoy ours and feel very safe doing so.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #59

This COULD be the article:

RV Crash Deaths Under Investigation | www.kirotv.com
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #60

IMO, all of these posts point to these conclusions:
1.) Don't believe everything you read.
2.) If you want positive opinions about class A coaches, ask class A owners, (for negative feed back, you came to the wrong place).
3.) Life is dangerous.
4.) Buy whatever RV you like and can afford!
5.) ENJOY!........ (don't worry be happy).
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was at the dealership, Our customers had three serious wrecks. Of course we had dozens of cut too sharp when leaving the gas pumps and scraping the rear baggage doors. (By far the most common accident.) One guy was going up I-575 and two cars hit water on the road and hydroplaned. They came across the median and one hit the drivers side and one hit the passengers side. They totaled the motorhome. (A Allegro Bus) He did not have a scratch. Both car drivers were carried to the hospital in ambulances. The second one was a customer headed to Miami. He was on the Fla. Turnpike when suddenly a car changed lanes in front of him and caught the bumper of his motorhome. He pushed the car sideways down the tollway until he got the motorhome and car stopped. The guy in the car was taken to the hospital with serious injuries. He was unhurt. (he was driving a Tiffin Zephyr. ) The third guy was driving a 1992 Pace Arrow. He was the only "at fault" driver. He was tailgating a 18 wheeler. The truck slammed on brakes and he hit him in the rear. He was unhurt. We had to replace the front cap and repair the dash. I have never had a customer hurt in a motorhome wreck. (I am sure there have been some.) Do we really want to involve the Government in our lives because there might be a slight risk? Not me!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Air bags are not required by Federal law on any Type A MH.
But Seat Belts are.

I think in all my years as a police dispatcher and over a decade after crusing the net for news I have heard of exactly ONE accident where someone can honestly say "Saved by the bag" I have heard of hundreds where either the driver (or passanger) was Saved by the belt, or would have been had they used one.. Including at least one accident (A fatal by the way) where had the at-fault driver used his belt there would not have been an accident!!!! (Provable).

I have heard of dozens where the accident, seat belt only, would have been a walk-away but the people in the car were injured by the bag going off in their face, WITNESSED one with my own eyes. (Almost had to testify, but as the ticket was a Civil, and the defendant was a no-show he was responsible by default so I got paid and went home). I have also heard of exactly ONE accident where air bags deployed without injury.

I do not believe in air bags, I don't want them and I think THEY are dangerous.. So that makes a class A (Which does not have 'em) Safer in my book.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #63

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another issue... The one on the cab-over design where you are right up front where the action is should you crash.

Well, if you and a semi go head to head.. I don't think cab over or engine up front is going to matter much. Been nice knowing you.

But in a crash with a car.. Said car will be... Well.. "underfoot" on many class A's. In short, he's gonna hit that engine you are sitting on top of.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler
) Do we really want to involve the Government in our lives because there might be a slight risk? Not me!
I wonder WHY vehicle accidents are no longer the leading cause of death in America (smoking now holds this dubious claim to fame)? I am old enough to remember when seat-belts were first introduced and everyone managed to cram them under the seat because they were uncomfortable to sit on! Eventually the government was forced to make their use compulsory. Naturally the civil libertarians went ballistic. However, over time government regulations and safety testing took hold and today not only do we drive much safer and better engineered cars....(which by the way save lives every year)....but we, as consumers, are also demand increasing levels of vehicle safety every year as we take our families onto the highway.

So.......in answer to your question. If the only way to improve safety and design engineering in vehicles is to get the Government involved....looks like the the average American consumer (in spite of civil liberties advocates) have voted overwhelmingly in the affirmative....just as they continue to support "government initiatives" on smoking restrictions and bans on tobacco. Help me out....didn't Big Tobacco and their lobbyists claim for years that smoking was harmless and only a slight risk to public health?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #65

RV drivers are generally the safest drivers on the road, leaving extra room, yada yada.

Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is used to influence opinion.
When there are statistics on class As that warrant attention, I will listen.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is used to influence opinion.
When there are statistics on class As that warrant attention, I will listen.
Here are some stats...do you have a number in mind (deaths) that is acceptable vrs unacceptable and "when" you feel motorhomes manufacturers should start taking safety more seriously?

Summary - From the years of 2000-2007, 843 individuals died in motorhome crashes in the U.S. This averages to about 105 people per year. This compares to the national total of 305,948 during the same period, for an annual average of 38,944 fatalities per year. While the total number of deaths each year was quite low, the overall rate of fatalities for crash victims per mile driven in motorhomes was slightly higher than the national average fatality rate for the years 2000-2006 at 1.63 vs. 1.48. Chart 1 below shows the comparison of fatalities per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Traveled for motorhomes vs. the national average for all vehicles. The statistically safest category for motor vehicles per mile driven is passenger cars, which averaged about 1 fatality per 100 Million Miles.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #67

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smoking and alcohol have been high on the hit list for a long time, Not even enemy action can kill Americans faster than alcohol (Our losses in the 1st gulf war, when adjusted for the number who would have been killed in drunken incidents had they not been in a country where booze is prohibited, turned out to be negative and that is just among those stationed there, Figure how many were killed by booze here in the US during that same time and... SIT DOWN FIRST!.)

I said this up thread but it bears repeating... Here I am in a ride that has a base sticker price (rounded) of 100 Thousand, I once found myself parked next to one that cost easily five times that (And did not even have a slide out, I'm in the slide out as I type on this one).

How much more careful am I going to be than the dude driving the under 1,000 dollar beater ride?

A well maintained RV is no more dangerous than any other ride on the road.. A $100 beater with no brakes... IS.

True story: Kid driving on a suspended/revoked license with no brakes blew through a red light and T-Boned a pick up killing the driver of the pick up.. Oh, He's sorry he killed the man (He is sitting in prison as he wrote his apology).

There is a whole lot more to that story.. I was only an observer and that long after the fact, but there is a lot more to that.

As I look around this camp ground,, I do not see a vehicle that even comes close to that idiot's car in the Unsafe department.. not a one. Less it's.. No I wont even make the joke cause it's not even close.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #68

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
If the only way to improve safety and design engineering in vehicles is to get the Government involved....looks like the the average American consumer (in spite of civil liberties advocates) have voted overwhelmingly in the affirmative....
As discussed so far, Motorhome/Rv accidents are are infrequent, injuries to occupants overall are reported to be less than the general motoring public.
Getting more regulation and licensing, other than providing increased taxes and fees, will likely accomplish little in improved safety. Several states have non-CDL license requirements for larger RV's and most of the comments from affected drivers are not very positive. Knowledge and uniformity among of the examiners and an actual benefit from that requirement seems to be lacking.
More emphasis/training is needed on operation, maneuvering, using Air Brakes and break-down procedures but should be applicable specifically to motorhomes and not a watered down CDL. This seems beyond the capabilities of our legislators.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan

As discussed so far, Motorhome/Rv accidents are are infrequent, injuries to occupants overall are reported to be less than the general motoring public..
.??????????! Do you have any statistics to support this claim. My research indicates the opposite....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234

Chart 1 below shows the comparison of fatalities per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Traveled for motorhomes vs. the national average for all vehicles. The statistically safest category for motor vehicles per mile driven is passenger cars, which averaged about 1 fatality per 100 Million Miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan

More emphasis/training is needed on operation, maneuvering, using Air Brakes and break-down procedures but should be applicable specifically to motorhomes and not a watered down CDL. This seems beyond the capabilities of our legislators.
Good points.... but again it seems to shift the responsibility away from the manufacturers and place all the responsibility on the operator. My point is that the manufacturers need to start shouldering more responsibility for innovative & responsible construction design and engineering relative to producing a safer vehicle. If they are unwilling or unprepared to commit the necessary resources to get the job done then perhaps regulators need to step-in and regulate.

Our 04 Rexhall does not have a shoulder harness for the passenger....this is unacceptable to me as the design of an anchor point for a seat-belt shoulder harness is/was not something particularly innovative in 2004. However, since motorhomes are not held to even the most basic safety design features of the cheapest passenger car....no shoulder harness no foul!

[QUOTE="Hooligan"]

"This seems beyond the capabilities of our legislators."

This position is " circuitous".....akin to the argument that we have laws against stealing ....yet people still steal...therefore the laws don't work .....so we shouldn't have laws against stealing.....completes the circle.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #70

Ok, funny story. Short one. I had never drove our class A. (Super scary) one day hubby and me decided I needed to give it a try. You know...emergency or what not may come. So I leave the gas station and hit the interstate. ( he told me before hand his concerns I would go too slow, maybe I was scared) so I hit the one ramp and I am up to 60 mph in no time. I felt very comfortable behind the wheel. (Surprisingly) my point is.. I would rather drive a class A than tow a trailer of any kind ( which I've done before). I just "felt" safer.