Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #71

A class A is not a Ferrari, so don't rive it like one. Well maintained and driven for what they are they are probably no more unsafe than a 5th wheel or TT.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding the Motorhome fatality statistics presented above-

I Googled the entire first sentence and was lead here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...ecd0aa86ee133b

If you read to the bottom of the thread - and that's what it is - a thread in rvforum - albeit a good stab at it - it is not what I would call an "official report" - and you will find that the summary was revised.

Revised Summary
The revised FARS analysis shows that a total of 212 individuals perished in motorhome accidents in the years 2000-2007 for an average of just over 26 fatalities per year. This represents an average rate of fatality of 0.44 per 100 Million Vehicle Miles vs. 1.48 for all vehicles in the United States, or roughly one third the average rate of all motor vehicles. (See Chart "Fatality Mileage Normalization Chart")

Unless there is another source - using the same words and data - it appears that the revised conclusion is the opposite of the initial summary posted above. There were 26 Motorhome fatalities, not 105 per average year between 2000 - 2007, and roughly 1/3 that of all motor vehicles.

I am not suggesting 26 is ok - but it is better than 105. I looked this up because I had never heard such precise Motorhome stats and was curious. I do not believe this to a definitive study by any means. Just looking for answers like everyone else. I do however feel like the later summary is more realistic. 100 million Motorhome miles - I'm lucky if I log 3,000 a year now. Many more in the near future - all safe and trouble free if I have any say in it. Of course we are all at the mercy of others.

Be careful out there.
Steve and Annie

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
I had to laugh. I've been riding motorcycles for almost 50 years. For the most part, 10 to 20k miles @ year. Thats 500,000 miles and I'm still here. Are motorcycles dangerous? No they are not if you use some sense. No difference in a MH. Am I concerned or scared in my 10 ton Class A, pulling a 2 ton trailer, hardly
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
Ok, funny story. Short one. I had never drove our class A. (Super scary) one day hubby and me decided I needed to give it a try. You know...emergency or what not may come. So I leave the gas station and hit the interstate. ( he told me before hand his concerns I would go too slow, maybe I was scared) so I hit the one ramp and I am up to 60 mph in no time. I felt very comfortable behind the wheel. (Surprisingly) my point is.. I would rather drive a class A than tow a trailer of any kind ( which I've done before). I just "felt" safer.
Highway driving in my Safari DP is like sitting at home in my living room recliner compared to driving my '75 21' Minnie Winnie....(that class C was SCARY)! .......(can you say "white knuckle")? lol
Winnebago placed far to much behind the rear axle.... (the spare tire, the couch, a closet, the steel fresh water tank, both LP tanks, the gas tank and the generator).
Mel
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1
Apologies ....I stand corrected as the study I quoted did revise it's findings and while it may be true that more research is warranted this is one study that took a stab at researching RV safety and......

Conclusion:
It is difficult to come to any supportable conclusions about accident causation, however, what it is clear that motorhomes are statistically very safe relative to the overall vehicular population. What limited fatal crashes do occur appear to be largely caused by striking other vehicles and fixed objects near the roadway and the resulting fatalities seem to most often occur in the front seat. Given that there were only 26 reported deaths of individuals in the rear area and only 2 of those were belted, one can draw their own conclusion about the merits of using a belt. This author draws solace in the fact that not a single child in a child safety seat perished during the study period.

I will continue to review the information and attempt to draw out any possible nuance in the information that the readers here might find useful, but I am comfortable myself in the knowledge that the activity is statistically quite safe. I am also pleased to conclude that some exaggerated media claims of motorhomes being "death traps" that I have read are simply and astoundingly false.

Hate to let facts get in the way if a good argument....but when you're wrong!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #76

Did the study state MH deaths per class? May dilute the rate on class A even further, if available

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #77

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Revised Summary
The revised FARS analysis shows roughly one third the average rate of all motor vehicles.
Be careful out there.
Steve and Annie
... Thanks ::
FARS is the Fatality Analysis Reporting System of the National Highway Transportation System (NHTSA)

Additional info from the same report: An analysis of the NHTSA statistics

Re: RV Crash Analysis-safety statistics January 2009 (Motorhomes)
Summary:
The revised FARS analysis shows that a total of 212 individuals perished in motorhome accidents in the years 2000-2007 for an average of just over 26 fatalities per year. This represents an average rate of fatality of 0.44 per 100 Million Vehicle Miles vs. 1.48 for all vehicles in the United States, or roughly one third the average rate of all motor vehicles.
Observations:
1) The "Initial Harmful Event" which is the event deemed to have caused the crash, was overwhelmingly due to striking another vehicle in "your" roadway (45%). That can mean a vehicle traveling the same direction of a divided highway, or a vehicle traveling in either direction of an undivided road. Vehicle Roll-over, Striking a Guard Rail, and Striking a Tree, each represented approximately 9% of total crashes respectively.
2) The majority of fatalities occurred in the front seats of the motorhome, with 80% being either the driver or passenger. Of the 26 rear compartment fatalities, only 2 persons died while using a restraint (seat belt). No children using child safety seats died during the analysis period. (See Chart "Fatalities by Seating Position and Restraint Usage.
3) Alcohol did not appear to be a significant contributor to motorhome fatalities. (Less than 1% reported drinking as a factor)
4) The majority of fatalities occurred on rural interstates and/or major rural highways (54%).
Conclusion:
It is difficult to come to any supportable conclusions about accident causation, however, what it is clear that motorhomes are statistically very safe relative to the overall vehicular population. What limited fatal crashes do occur appear to be largely caused by striking other vehicles and fixed objects near the roadway and the resulting fatalities seem to most often occur in the front seat. Given that there were only 26 reported deaths of individuals in the rear area and only 2 of those were belted, one can draw their own conclusion about the merits of using a belt. This author draws solace in the fact that not a single child in a child safety seat perished during the study period.
As usual, statistics can adjusted to fit the situation..- These results agree more closely with the opinions of experienced motorhome operators as expressed on the forum.

Again: Memo to self: Learn to type faster.......
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #78

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding seat belts and child seats.. I will tell of two accidents.... My daughter's baby sitter had a split lip, I ask her about it,, Well, she'd just come from an accident, Her 3 friends all laughed at her as she buckled her seat belt.

She attended 3 funerals shortly after..... theirs.

The other one was an accident investigated by the Michigan State Police, in the crash were several adults (none belted, all dead) and one blood covered baby screaming his head off (Very obviously alive) Well medics got him out of the car, and his child seat, (Which was properly mounted) cleaned the blood off and looked for his wounds..

They did not find any.. Far as I know he's still alive.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #79

Entegra Owners Club
Most dangerous thing about a Class A

They are addictive! You just can't stop with owning one. Soon it's another, then another. Before long you are reading about them and then going to RV shows. Later you spend all your money on them, then you borrow money from strangers to feed your addiction. You sleep with them, you eat in them, you spend all your free time in them.

Class A's are very dangerous......
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jack - couple of things -

1. No matter the results, these things could be made safer. I have read that consumers wouldn't pay for the safety NASCAR drivers have. Well, I would think there would be something between what we have and the race cars we could afford.

2. I do feel safe in the Motorhome and I think part of that is from sitting up high. Surveying the road is a big plus.

3. The mirrors and review camera (don't have side view) are real driving tools. On my driver side - I can even see things in the mirror reflected in FBP.

I know those are defensive driving items - but I think they have a "safety value".

Not sure if you have looked into it or not - but maybe you can add a harness to the passenger seat. You may not have a "post" to attach it to but maybe something can be done. That's one thing I believe in - seat belts!

As for being wrong - it wasn't your work and at least the results moved in the right direction.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

Highway driving in my Safari DP is like sitting at home in my living room recliner compared to driving my '75 21' Minnie Winnie....(that class C was SCARY)! .......(can you say "white knuckle")? lol
Winnebago placed far to much behind the rear axle.... (the spare tire, the couch, a closet, the steel fresh water tank, both LP tanks, the gas tank and the generator).
Mel
That's what I'm saying! I felt more comfortable driving a 35 foot DP, then I do driving my jeep wrangler. ( which I was towing behind it) lol. I was surprised how well a big class (scary A) drove. It was like a pillow. I will defiantly drive again. And I am afraid of EVERYTHING. Including the wind.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #82

A road safety expert interviewed on tv stated the best safety device would be a 12" steel spike fixed to the steering wheel , everyone would drive slowly and defensively .
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #83

Freightliner Owners Club
Steve/Jack...Agree there are options. Besides well anchored harness and seats, my big concern is the overhead cabinets, without a way to positively lock those doors, you could survive a collision or even a minor off road excursion and be still be wiped out by various canned goods and an assortment of dinnerware.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan
Steve/Jack...Agree there are options. Besides well anchored harness and seats, my big concern is the overhead cabinets, without a way to positively lock those doors, you could survive a collision or even a minor off road excursion and be still be wiped out by various canned goods and an assortment of dinnerware.
Yep - and I'm not wearing a helmet and that's that. Although I've been accused of wearing a tinfoil hat before.