Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Not All Class A's Are Alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Class A is a configuration, not a specific model or make. I would say there are some ClassAs out here that are dangerous , ones that are gas powered and have lighter chassis for the size of the box that it sits on....that's just for starters. Disregard what you have been told, it's false info. To generalize.
Lots of merit to this. But, can you call ANY dangerous, no matter how tippy or unstable? Really, it comes down to the driver. Unstable rigs when driven slower and more cautiously can be safe, by definition...

Structurally, there are huge differences. Some have no structure around the cockpit, others a scant piece of steel tubing. Some are beefy, with 4" steel pillars on either side, overhead. I was in a shop looking at the chassis of a premium rig; I swear, some bridges are built lighter than that bus!

But, you're pushing ten or more tons down the road and so many other factors come into play. Front engines generally result in less stability, which seems counterintuitive to me. The number of axles and load distribution has a huge effect. Tires are a factor. Not just their age, but load range margins and axle-end load relationships.

Very complicated, and like the man says, it defies generalization.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #100

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If my 38,000lb (could go up to 44,000+10,000 trailer and still be within HR specs) tips over it is because I was driving too fast for a curve/turn or we were in the path of an EF4 tornado. Being up higher allows me to see further down the road and anticipate idiots sooner. Drive as if the idiots around you do not see you and you will be fine. I am amazed that a driver did not notice a 43'L x 13"H vehicle along side of them and tried to change lanes into us. They caught it in time but overcorrected their steering and ended up midway on the (thankfully paved/empty) shoulder.

Playtime III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
A friend of mine hit a pickup, at 50MPH, that ran a stop sign. They had to get the front of the coach replaced but it survived and so did they, just mostly shaken up.

I have driven a class a since '06 and I find that they are only dangerous when car drivers treat you like a car. In my opinion a class a is safer than a 18 wheeler. The other stuff you quoted is horse bunk.

I have the Meridian 40U and it is the best.

Have fun and go class A.

Rick
Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Lots of merit to this. But, can you call ANY dangerous, no matter how tippy or unstable? Really, it comes down to the driver. Unstable rigs when driven slower and more cautiously can be safe, by definition...

Structurally, there are huge differences. Some have no structure around the cockpit, others a scant piece of steel tubing. Some are beefy, with 4" steel pillars on either side, overhead. I was in a shop looking at the chassis of a premium rig; I swear, some bridges are built lighter than that bus!

But, you're pushing ten or more tons down the road and so many other factors come into play. Front engines generally result in less stability, which seems counterintuitive to me. The number of axles and load distribution has a huge effect. Tires are a factor. Not just their age, but load range margins and axle-end load relationships.

Very complicated, and like the man says, it defies generalization.
Yes, driving slow because your vehicle is unstable is an accident waiting to happen. I would have a greater fear of being rear ended than anything else. I could not count the many times I have come upon a under powered MH , weaving side to side , aged driver fighting to stay in his lane.
These rigs need to stay off the big road and except the only way they will get from A toB will be on Blue Highways.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #103

Much older class As were somewhat unstable compared to a truck or a bus of the same era......

Today's coaches are bigger, heavier, and so much more stable......

To say they are unsafe, is an opinion of a misinformed individual.....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreco View Post
Much older class As were somewhat unstable compared to a truck or a bus of the same era......

Today's coaches are bigger, heavier, and so much more stable......

To say they are unsafe, is an opinion of a misinformed individual.....
No one said every MH on the road today is bigger, heavier, etc. A little rearsch will tell the safety story.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Yes, driving slow because your vehicle is unstable is an accident waiting to happen. I would have a greater fear of being rear ended than anything else. I could not count the many times I have come upon a under powered MH , weaving side to side , aged driver fighting to stay in his lane.
These rigs need to stay off the big road and except the only way they will get from A toB will be on Blue Highways.
So if I am not young, and drive a less than 500+ HP rig at 70 Mph I am a road hazard?
That is not a well- thought-out statement.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #106

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
In my 44 years of driving I have never seen someone being rear ended be anything but the fault of the following driver. If someone is in such a hurry to get somewhere that they cannot safely follow a slower driver maybe they should try flying either in their own plane or in a commercial one.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
In my 44 years of driving I have never seen someone being rear ended be anything but the fault of the following driver. If someone is in such a hurry to get somewhere that they cannot safely follow a slower driver maybe they should try flying either in their own plane or in a commercial one.

Well I have seen just about everything out there in my many years on the road. One that comes to mind as of late was a travel trailer rear ended by a medium size truck. This was on I-75 in Ky.s of Lexington. The trailer was pushed flying off the road into the ditch where it nearly exploded, inside out, one pile of trash. The other I recall was a MH ( gas) that veered into the center medium hitting the cement dividers . It traveled about 1/4 mile half on tghe barrier half off, then coming to a complete stop, throwing both driver and passenger forward onto the Highway. I thing there was one fatality.

I used to live in the Smokies, NC side. I-40 going from NC to TN. traveled through what locals called the "gorge" one of the most dangerous stresh of Interstate in the Country.. Many wrecks I saw, mostly big rigs going too fast around curves , but also MHs , some because of going too slow ! On the big roads everywhere the Highway dept. in most states, requires vehicles to go with the flow of traffic Many a vacationer got into trouble, with the wrong MH ? . I say yes, sometimes, not all of coarse.... Ike main thing is try to be as safe as possible everywhere, especially on the big roads..
Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #108
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Not to be contrary here, but there are plenty of exceptions to your statement. In my 42 years of driving (I guess that you are my senior) and 20 years of towing/RVing I have had numerous close calls with unthinking or uncaring drivers diving into my generous braking area, changing what would have been a gradual slowdown into a panic stop. I haven't hit anyone yet, but it would not surprise me if plenty of other careful drivers have.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #109

Okay, okay.
What is too slow?
What is too fast?

I do 62. Easy peasey handling and the best MPG.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by snows View Post
So if I am not young, and drive a less than 500+ HP rig at 70 Mph I am a road hazard?
That is not a well- thought-out statement.
I never said any of what YOU just said. Don't credit me for your own thoughts please!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #111

Smile class A dangerous?

No, not really. If you are a good driver because they are kinda wide and you need to watch that you don't put the rear tire in the ditch due to short turning and some models are "road crazy" and some are not or can be fixed. I had an Oshkosh chassis which was squirrely and I white knuckled a lot (esp when semi's passed me) but the Freightliner chassis is much better. Sorry don't know all the ones that are good but if you know a good front end man with RV experience they should be able to tell you what to look for. Other kinds have their drawbacks. I vote don't say no to a class A if you want one. More importantly will it be gas or diesel?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #112

you can all so say you are driving some thing that is 15 tons small cars 6000 lbs well be a speed bump so the airbags ....if it had them.... would never go off and if you did get in to some thing that could pull the Gs to set them off they would not save you even most big trucks dont have them no class A front cap that can take loads like that but truth be told i feel safer in a class A then a B or C i have all so seen alot of pics of A s rolling over most if not all lived what i would think about more is that a class A is more setup to live in full time any thing else is really more the weekend thing and would not hold up or like it as much put your safety to more in to fire safety