Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn
Get any wheels rolling on the open road and you are no longer "safe". Safe in life would be living in a plastic bubble.

We have had our class A in some pretty good wind storms and came out fine. Just pull over and rest if it is too windy.

On a side note, there are plenty of TT and 5th wheels that tip over too.
I have never seen a Class A with the wind lifting one side of tires off the road or swinging back and forth like a carnival ride. I have pulled off to the side just to get out from behind trailers exhibiting just that. Didn't feel safe behind them, much less passing them.

As others have said - we slow down - get off the road - but most of the time it's defensive driving and a healthy respect for tonnage.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably the article was written by an EXPERT that has never been in an RV, much less a class A.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Who came up with this CRAP? First the floor of the motorhome is higher than the hood of a car. Most of the vehicles on the road are cars. Most likely you will be hit by a car that will go beneath you. Secondly the holding tanks, engine, trans., and storage compartments are low and give a low center of gravity. We have been motorhoming since 1974 and I have never seen a Class A turned over. I saw a lot of truck campers (before the dually trucks) turned over by high winds, but never a Class A. I feel much safer in my Class A than in my Honda Civic. I also was a service manager at a motorhome dealer for 15 years and had several customers in wrecks with no one turning over. (Every wreck but one was caused by the other driver.)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #18

First let me say that I drive a Class A, love it, and intend to keep driving one so don't shoot me for expressing my opinion! But suggesting that Class a motor homes are "safe" if you are a good driver is no different than suggesting a motorcycle is safe if you're careful and drive defensively. I believe the OP is asking about the safeness of the design.
Somehow motor home manufacturers are able to get away with building vehicles without airbags, virtually zero front, side or rear end crash protection and gas coaches that come off the assembly line already at their maximum GVWR. On top of that they then hang a 50 pound TV over your head!
Can they be driven safely? Of course. Are they designed and constructed with even a smidgen of concern about safety? Not a chance.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
But they are bigger and easier to see over the big mac, cellphone or make-up mirror in use by other drivers.....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I must admit that when traveling occasionally it flashes through my mind that we are vulnerable. I would not want to roll over in one or be hit head on, there are no reasonable provisions for child seats etc.

So I drive very carefully, do not get over tired, do not speed, leave lots of room ahead, stop often for exercise and only plan to travel so far in one day because I must concentrate. It is a testimony, however, to the fragile nature of the beast, the big lumbering beast.

But then I am retired and can afford the time and place a value on not being in a hurry.

Now mind you one of the really enjoyable things I do is drive my MH and I drive it like a MH and not like a car.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Mine drives and handles real well. If I bought it on figuring on having a accident I would have bought a Sherman tank. You have to drive defensively and be aware of what other drivers are doing no matter how stupid they are. Jim
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I drive the RV and hubbie sits beside me calmly. As others have said....drive carefully and respectfully and this is a great way of life.....

Do not shy away from this lifestyle because others say it is dangerous....Heck...crossing the street is dangerous!!!!!

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I drove truck for 20 years and I can honestly say I have never seen a MH rolled over. I have seen every other type of vehicle rolled over, even a farm tractor but never a motor home. I have seen them in accidents and fires but never rolled. My wife hated riding in a big truck but loves riding shot gun in our Ambassador. The only time she is nervous is when we cross a long high bridge and she sits higher than the bridge walls.
poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It's true that our older model does not have driver or passenger air bags. I'm not sure about late model coaches.
Air bags are not required by Federal law on any Type A MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
We are planning to purchase an RV in the next 3 months. We have been looking at various models, talking to friends who RV, and reading blogs.

One article recommended against Class A calling them dangerous because 1) they are top heavy and tend to rollover, 2) the have no front end protection because motor is under it, 3) no air bags, 4) harder to drive especially when windy.

But we like the layout of Class A.

Can you help us out? Thanks for any suggestions.
If you get a Class A, drive it like all those things are true and you'll do fine.

We don't drive in high winds or inclement weather. Don't drive too fast. Allow plenty of space to stop. Stop often just to relax.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodles View Post
The only time she is nervous is when we cross a long high bridge and she sits higher than the bridge walls.
Same here. You should also drive out the East entrance to Yellowstone for a thrill! Curvy road, almost no shoulder nor guardrails and it's very close to straight down in the river.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #27

Angle of the steering column, in relation to the drivers seated position, basically makes an air bag useless for a class A driver. Try this at home , seated in your car , seat belt on see if you can touch your head to the steering wheel, or how close you can come . Then belt up in a class A and try the same thing. Passenger side ; co-pilot belted in ; can't touch the dash with her toes let alone her head. In a class A, a shoulder belt worn properly is the only thing you need ; unless your planning to run into the back of a parked semi at 60 mph, and at that air bags in your car wouldn't help either.
As others have said , the rest of the so called safety short comings of the class A MH are pure B........T. I feel much safer, and am more comfortable driving my MH than any of my truck and 5er combinations and they all handled well. Wind give me the MH every time.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Without having a link to the article I can not comment too deeply. Even so...

1. Not all Class As are the same...DUHH! A gas vx diesel clearly have major differences in all facets. I feel significantly more safe in my 43' DSDP than my 39' Winnebago when it comes to cross winds and passing trucks.

2. Tipping any Class A is not as easy as it sounds. Generally, a fully loaded Class A's center of gravity will be lower than most trucks. Of course stupid driving habits can manage to cause all manner of havoc.

3. A gasser will have a little more "protection" up front than a DP but not much.

4. Part of the problem, IMHO, is that some states don't require driver education and licensing specific to large RVs. I know, I'm gonna have rocks thrown at me but it is idiotic to expect drivers to go from a Honda Civic to a truck with air brake systems and be safe. Just because a significant number manage to do so without killing themselves or others doesn't make it right.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote