Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Both Cummins and CAT recommend that their engines are better off being left alone rather than having them started and run for short periods of time. The general recommendation is to bring them up to full operating temperature if they are run at all which pretty much means taking them out on the road for 30 minutes or more. Think about how many pieces of farm and construction equipment sit idle for months at a time with no ill effects.

For the past 4 winters mine has stayed off for 4-5 months and has started just fine in March. I add a couple of ounces of algaecide before shutting it down and I always run it for a while after adding it to make sure it has been thoroughly mixed with the fuel.
We go out ten times or more each year so we rarely have the coach sitting more than a few weeks at a time. If we do, I take it for an hour drive around the area after 30 days.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
Most comment say If you like it stick with it. I agree, I got the answer , ask the question wrong. Our V10- Dutch Star is 34 or 36 feet 1 slide, If I move up in size when will I have to go to a Diesel? I know 40 feet with 4 slides and a toad is not going to be good, Were is the limit?
you don't know if you have a 34' or 36' coach??

It's not an IRV2 question..... it's a math question...

a grasshopper will not pull a plow ,no matter what you read here...

its weight divided by torque...and the amount of weight per ft. lb. of torque

lets say you have a GCWR of 36,000 lbs...

in gas the most you will get is 362 ft lbs

so 36,000 divide by 362 =99.44 lbs. per 1 ft lb....

now, go to the smallest diesel in a 36,000 lb chassis

so...36,000 divide by 660 =54.54 lbs per 1 ft lb

so the mathematical answer is...motorhome size being equal..@ 36000 lb gcwr chassis ... the diesel pusher has about 45 % more power...

my self, knowing how to pick the right motorhome for my intended use...
I picked the 26' gas coach... we tow a trailer out to dunes(89 miles from our home) stay one or 2 nights and come home...

so.. gcwr is 23000...divide by 362 (the biggest motor you can get-gass or diesel)=63 ft lbs per ft.

now that is both at the bottom of the diesel and the only power in gas...

jmho..if you have the doe... get the diesel as it has more torque to do the job..

not to say that a gas motor won't pull a 38' motorhome.... but that a diesel
bottom line motor will have a better lbs. per ft lbs of torque rating...

I never go over 32' on gas motorhomes because it seems that they start creeping out to the cost diesel

I bought a new 34' foot excursion for 127k... even though I only kept it for a short time , it had a great resale..134k from a dealer

the diesel will take off slower..and go up the hills slower but do it more with ease and just cruise right along

and that's with the smallest power...

but if you want the best...$$$$$ talks...if you say, "I want the best MH money can buy.... you will not see a gas coach in the line up...

if you say whats the best new coach for less than 70k and pull my trailer up the hill...look what I bought...

does my wife like it more than the diesel pusher we had
Old 05-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
We own a, 2001 Newmar Dutch Star V 10 Ford Gas It's is a great Machine it works well nothing is a problem it's easy to maintain, The Newmar quality is better than any vehicle I have ever owned. So Why would I trade? Here"s the question ! are diesel that much better? We tow a jeep Wrangler Dutch Star gets about 9.5 gas miles per gallon with or without toad.
just a question a bout your post, what is the secret to your magnificent MPG

that is about double what I got not towing.. my 2001 I was happy with 7 mpg not towing... but that was flat road and no towing, and a tail wind..

can I ask "how do you figure?"
Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
you don't know if you have a 34' or 36' coach??

its weight divided by torque...and the amount of weight per ft. lb. of torque

lets say you have a GCWR of 36,000 lbs...

in gas the most you will get is 362 ft lbs
I believe the current V-10 has 460 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #47

Quote:

diesel will take off slower..and go up the hills slower but do it more with ease and just cruise right along

but if you want the best...$$$$$ talks...if you say, "I want the best MH money can buy.... you will not see a gas coach in the line up...

if you say whats the best new coach for less than 70k and pull my trailer up the hill...look what I bought...
Just because your small class A gas went up a hill faster then your excursion doesn't mean diesels goes up hills and starts off slower vs gas. As you mentioned above its about power to weigh ratio and not if its gas or diesel.

My gas RV was slower off the line and going up hills vs my X inlaws diesel coach, both pulling similar weight vehicles.

To some the best money can buy is a gas coach, which is what I went with last time. It depends on budget and use...

For me it's not new for $70K, it's new or used for $70K or whatever ones budget is... thus for me I am looking at used stuff
Old 05-28-2016, 05:19 AM   #48

Quote:

that is about double what I got not towing.. my 2001 I was happy with 7 mpg not towing... but that was flat road and no towing, and a tail wind..

I just take it easy I traveled from KCMO to Padre Island about 1100 miles never went over 60 mph and I checked this 9miles per gallon several times that was the best, sure I GOT 7.5 AROUND Dallas were I had to hang with the traffic at 70 mph or at a dead crawl because of road work and traffic back up for 2 miles. Slow and steady 60 mph get that gas mileage let's say it"s 9 MPG
Old 05-28-2016, 05:35 AM   #49

Quote:

This machine is like a lot of big block trucks I've owned Dodges and Chevy they get 12 miles to the gallon loaded to to the max or not, as far as not knowing if it's 34 or 36 feet , There's a ID plate right behind the driver's seat with that info on it. So if it ever became an issue I guess I could check that, but it never has. I notice that's important to a lot of folks.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #50

Are diesels Better

The OP asked, "Are diesels better?"

The answer is, "Yes."
Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #51

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

The answer is, "Yes."
Would you say that they were better for a person with a low maintenance budget that is only going to drive it 2K miles a year?
I think the answer isn't as simple as a yes or no and will require some food for thought for the OP and what he has been getting here, so far.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
The answer is definitely yes.
But if the question is whether it's better for an individual, that maybe a different answer.
If you want a 40'+, well no question. They don't make anything but diesel.
Most under 30' are gas.
So now the question has to be is a diesel better than gas in a 30-39' range.
Now for us a smaller coach just wouldn't get used, so it would be much cheaper to maintain.
As you can see we chose an older dp before a newer gas. We had a smaller gas coach, didn't use it much and didn't like driving it much.
Bought the Windsor to give this travel thing one last chance. That Windsor changed our lives, love, just love driving it, and are now seriously talking about months long extended trips.
So yes the dp cost more, because we use it. A lot.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #53

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
I presently have a Diesel Pusher. Never had any other type of Class A.

As to whether diesel or gas is better, others have said (and I agree) that that decision is relative. Of course, that also depends on who your relatives are!!!
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #54

Quote:

The answer is, "Yes."
My answer is "NO".

Just another perspective.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Would you say that they were better for a person with a low maintenance budget that is only going to drive it 2K miles a year?

That's not what he asked. He simply asked if diesels were "better."

It is a simple question with a simple answer...YES.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #56

Quote:
That's not what he asked. He simply asked if diesels were "better."

It is a simple question with a simple answer...YES.

It's not a simple question with a simple answer.

Your answer is yes, my answer is no.

It depends on the needs of the consumer.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel