Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 06:06 AM   #1

Are diesels Better

We own a, 2001 Newmar Dutch Star V 10 Ford Gas It's is a great Machine it works well nothing is a problem it's easy to maintain, The Newmar quality is better than any vehicle I have ever owned. So Why would I trade? Here"s the question ! are diesel that much better? We tow a jeep Wrangler Dutch Star gets about 9.5 gas miles per gallon with or without toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
We own a, 2001 Newmar Dutch Star V 10 Ford Gas It's is a great Machine it works well nothing is a problem it's easy to maintain, The Newmar quality is better than any vehicle I have ever owned. So Why would I trade? Here"s the question ! are diesel that much better? We tow a jeep Wrangler Dutch Star gets about 9.5 gas miles per gallon with or without toad.
Better is subjective. It sounds like you're happy with what you have, it'd cost a lot to move to a comparable diesel coach and you might not be as happy as you are now.

I get about 7.5 mpg with my diesel, it cost more to do annual maintenance than it does in your gas coach, and repairs are generally more expensive for a diesel than gas.

Having said that, I moved to diesel RVing right after we bought our first travel trailer. We had a Ford F150 and I thought it struggled pulling the trailer. We traded it for a Dodge with Cummins turbo diesel and were much happier. Turns out what I thought was struggling, was just the normal operating characteristic of a gas engine pulling a heavy load.

We never even considered a gas coach and are happy with our choice as you are with yours.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We moved up from a 31' Class C not slides to a ~40' Class A with slides.

The additional room makes the coach more livable.

Since you already have a decent size Class A you won't see the same benefits of an upgrade that we did.

The cost of ownership of a Class A DP will be significantly higher then your Class A gasser. Oil changes are ~+$200. My airfilter costs +~$100. I'll have to replace tires soon, currently running Bridgestone and am totally satisfied but a new set of tires will be +$700 each (quote I got from same dealer as before). The systems on my 2002 Windsor are much more complicated then my 1997 Class C. Lots of circuit boards, relays, solenoids, switches, and miles and miles of wire.

My advice is to weight the pro's and con's and decide if the additional cost of ownership is worth it.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
No.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
For us the answer is definitely yes! We're old folks and wanted something that, with any luck, would outlast us! We love the quietness of the big diesel engine humming 40' behind us.

I could go on and on, but suffice to say that we don't regret the decision!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #7

Seriously though, from the OPs question why would you want to get something new? Sounds like you like it and it runs well. We were not completely happy with our Excursion which is why we moved up to the Discovery. We're very happy with it and are out using it all the time.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

A V-10 , MH that delivers 9.5 mpg . Don't let it out of your sight.
I take it that's your MPG in Kansas , not in Colorado .

For motor homes of a certain size ( read that as weight ) and owners use and expectations. Gas powered is just fine.
As size and weight increase the gas engine reaches the limit of it's reliability; once overworked there will be failures.
JMHO: Once you exceed 30,000 lbs GCW ( Gross Combined Weight ) MH & toad. your much better off with a diesel.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had both and love my DP. The down side is the cost to maintain. I found my gasser to be noisier while driving as engine is under you. Also the ride is smoother with the air ride.
Just my thoughts.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:

Many of these threads on the forums. It usually degenerates into owners defending their choice. It's really about how much weight you need to move in order to RV in the way you wish. Current gas chassis are maxed out at 24-26,000. The lightest diesel start there and go up to around 50,000 pounds.

We are full timers with 9 years on the road in the same coach. We weigh 42,000 pounds so my choice is made. If a gas chassis provides the RV life you lead then it's a fine choice.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #11

RV's are like boots, first you have to pick the size that fits you..
next you pick from the selection as to what you will do with them..

is one better than the other??? no, not unless you try do what it wasn't intended for...

according to this site we could be of a huge help the manafactures buy telling them that they only need to build one size, color, and power..

I change motorhomes as my intended use changes... although I can dance with my work boots, I prefer my cowboy boats..
Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Better is subjective. ...
ABSOLUTELY!

You just can't say with absolute truth one is or is not better for everyone. While we fond a DP was better for us, most of the time folks forget that there are several reasons for choosing between them.

In the end, you want the coach that meets your needs and wants. The biggest advantage of a DP is their more stout chassis that can hold more needs & wants. For folks like us, we wanted a house on wheels. If you want something that carries enough and can get into every park/CG then you might find more options in smaller gassers even though there are some smaller DPs that might work. I could go on and on but most of the readers know what I mean.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:

I'm thinking if you are getting that kind of mileage and are happy with the coach there isn't much for you to gain by going to diesel.

After saying that, I would prefer diesel. As others have already said I think it is a matter of how and where the coach will be used and also the preference of the owner.

Also, as Skip says, when the MH gets larger a diesel becomes more desirable, or necessary. Ever see a gas powered 18 wheeler?

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Many of these threads on the forums. It usually degenerates into owners defending their choice. It's really about how much weight you need to move in order to RV in the way you wish. Current gas chassis are maxed out at 24-26,000. The lightest diesel start there and go up to around 50,000 pounds.

We are full timers with 9 years on the road in the same coach. We weigh 42,000 pounds so my choice is made. If a gas chassis provides the RV life you lead then it's a fine choice.
Not a full timer, but my requirements are the same as Steve's. I must have (and love) my diesel. If your MH satisfies your requiremnts, keep it. Newmar is good equipment.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel