Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Are "discounted" prices negotiable?

Just curious what everyone's experience has been. We all know that MSRP isn't a real number, and it seems like there are "sales" year round with discounted prices. We've had offers of "free" icemakers and things like that, but I'm curious how much wiggle room dealers really have with prices on new coaches.

Anyone have specific experience in negotiating down from the advertised "sale" price? How much?
OldBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #2

We got 35% plus a $500 in-store credit for any accessories we wanted.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Everything is negotiable. It doesn't hurt to try negotiating the price or to throw in accessories for free or at a discount. This is especially true if it's been sitting on the lot long. I'm sure they are paying 'flooring' on the unit, so the longer it sits, the more it costs them. Whenever I purchase a big ticket item I try to negotiate a better price. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy01 View Post
Everything is negotiable. It doesn't hurt to try negotiating the price or to throw in accessories for free or at a discount. This is especially true if it's been sitting on the lot long. I'm sure they are paying 'flooring' on the unit, so the longer it sits, the more it costs them. Whenever I purchase a big ticket item I try to negotiate a better price. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
This. All they can do is say no or counter offer
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy01 View Post
I got the 35% I mentioned above on a unit I special ordered. It was only at dealer's lot for 3 days while they did their PDI.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:50 AM   #6

Dang. I feel bad now. I only got 31% off and not a single dealer gift or coupon.
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We got 45% off when we bought our Challenger 37LX in June. Dealer was jammed up with 2017's during construction to dealership and needed room for 2018's. Right place at the right time , I guess.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The dealer probably pays about 60% of the MSRP, but how much of that he can discount depends on his fixed overhead and the cost of selling each unit (sales commission, prep and PDI, etc.). Some increasingly common ploys are to overstate the MSRP (there is no federally mandated window sticker for an RV) and/or charge extra for things that the manufacturer intended to be included in the MSRP (e.g. dealer prep).

Try to determine the actual MSRP from the factory and then add the delivery charge from factory to dealer. That's the base you are starting from. Then get an "out-the-door" price before sales tax and state title fees. That's the amount of real discount you are getting. 15% is a typical offer and 30% is pretty good negotiating. Once in awhile you can do better.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

It all depends on what you are buying, the discounts vary on the type of RV, and the manufacturer. For most it's around a 20-25% discount and then negotiate from there. Also depending on the time of the year and current stock of what you are looking at the manufacturers will give the dealerships rebates, that you will never know about, to help them move inventory. The bottom line is if the discount is really high then the markup on the MSRP was probably high to begin with. Do your research so you will know when you are getting a good deal based on quality and price, and for everyone that is different. You may find a dealer/manufacturer that doesn't give huge discounts, but in the long run you got a better deal due to quality ect. When comparing discounts, compare apples to apples, and then make your decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
You can expect to get between 26%-30%ish on class A motorhomes and larger discounts from certain manufactures at the end of the model years ..
You can get a lot larger number on 5th wheels/trailer trailers somewhere between 30% to 45% pretty easily just play hardball..
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #11

Following. So I've offered $90000 OTD on a coach that has a MSRP of $133000. It is a new model. Is that unreasonable? Right now, they are at $94000 but I'm already stretching my budget.
baslert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

You may be pushing the limit on how far they discount and still make some profit
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
MSRP on ours (Thor website) was 185k , OTD for 103 k before sales tax.[emoji41]

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #14

There is no substitute for being educated on market prices for the rig you're interested in. This will enable you to recognize the quality of the deal.

And don't concern yourself with statements the dealer has made on price. i.e discounted, below invoice, etc. It's likely just marketing anyway. Make an offer you're comfortable with.

You might include some extra things in your offer you're willing to give up. For example, asking them to switch the wheels to the fancy ones. Then, have a few things things you can add later in the negotiation like a free detail. Or maybe some other type of service.

Good luck on your purchase!
Pirate_Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote