Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"falconman".....Next time it happens, run out and poop on their rim. Tell them that excessive idling aggravates your chronic bowel syndrome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
I, like many of us came from or still belong to the boating community. I have had a large boat in a large marina for the last 15 years. I am always amazed at the lack of consideration of the young kids in the ski boats (I used to be one) with their music blaring and their scantily clad coeds hanging everywhere, with the fellow cruiser owners that have no idea what a huge wake they are throwing, and the go fast cig boats. loud music, loud engines, half naked stripper girls. I still go every chance I get! That is what I signed up for. After all the irritations of a few days on the water, I wonder if they liked the way i cooked their steak. Been rving for a year now and if all I have to worry about is the sweet sound and smell of a diesel engine I will be OK. If that is bothersome and becomes the highlight of my day, I will find something else to do. JD

Old 06-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I want to know why the heck people are up and hitting the road before 8!! They're supposed to be relaxing!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I want to know why the heck people are up and hitting the road before 8!! They're supposed to be relaxing!
Not everyone's retired We got going at 9 Sunday morning (and we were probably the 4th person out) because we had 600 miles to get home to our storage facility and then unload and get home.

Steve
Old 06-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #33

If we have to leave in the early morning we leave the evening before and park for the night in a Walmart leaving early without disturbing anyone.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Have a sign made that says no idling before 8am, stick it out front. The worst that could happen is they move a tad further away. Or a professional looking sign in front stating idling and toad hookup takes place at the exit. .? Asking is a good way to get the word out, for those who are thoughtless.
480w Go Power solar
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too just bought a very noisy Cummings Diesel Pusher. The noise was one of my biggest reason for not having a diesel until recently. I read THE BOOK, no more than 10 min. idling.
So we now do everything possible before we start. I usually hook up the toad at the dump to save time (if no one is behind) and to get away from fellow campers.
But it takes longer to set up and break down versus my gassers due to airing up the suspension, putting in 3 slides, and raising the jacks. I try to wait for the non-Quiet Hours .
But if you got noisy neighbors the night before, I like leaving early!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
I, like many of us came from or still belong to the boating community. I have had a large boat in a large marina for the last 15 years. I am always amazed at the lack of consideration of the young kids in the ski boats (I used to be one) with their music blaring and their scantily clad coeds hanging everywhere, with the fellow cruiser owners that have no idea what a huge wake they are throwing, and the go fast cig boats. loud music, loud engines, half naked stripper girls. JD
I see nothing wrong

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
For the third time this week before 8 am some yahoo in his Class A DP has decided to stop near my spot to hook up his toad. No big deal but leaving the engine running is ridiculous. I own one and understand the air pressure build up and all that, BUT COME ON PEOPLE!
I bought a house with a half acre,....lol... my neighbor gets up every morning and starts his ol dodge diesel..... just lets her run ....gotta warm her up ....winter spring summer and fall
Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I get up at three so I can get down the road...you know... before the old timers doing 40
Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I see nothing wrong

I.m with you. Going shopping for a boat immediately.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
So I guess to some that idling in front of other rigs before 8 am is OK? That pulling forward towards the office or shutting down while you hook up is not a viable option? I guess a little common sense or courtesy may be to much to ask.
Honestly if this is your biggest complaint in life.... I want your life.... I'm sure it doesn't happen daily. As to the poster saying " he remote started his truck and then took a shower" You were looking in his window??? I know of no remote starter that gives you a 45 min idle cycle.
Lighten up people!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I see nothing wrong

At least they have their life jackets.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is something you need to understand.. TIMES CHANGE..

In the old days when I was a straping farm boy if you had a Diesel you had to let 'er warm up a bit and also you could let that thing sit there and idle for hours on end if you wished without damage.. In fact there is a series of books (Matt Helm, Agent for I.C.E.) some of which were made into movies starring Dean Martin (Ok, the movies were a long long way from the books.. Are funny though) In one of the books Matt mentions leaving the diesel boat engine running for a fast exit (Good thing too).

Back then you idled a gasoline engine too long and the thing got all fouled up and ran rough till you "Cleaned it out" (Floored it and ... Well let' just say you did a good Bo & Luke Duke (Dukes of Hazzard TV show) Imatition).

Today.... that has changed.. per Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers (Car Talk) you can idle modern computer controlled Gasoline engines for hours on end if you have to.

But Not so a Diesel.. as they need to run under load or they do not get hot enough.

NOTE: I'm not a Diesel expert.. Fairly good with Gas.. But I cited the source on those last statements.. And they really are experts.

I would not warm it up longer than it takes to air it up.