Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I have had a state patrol here in WA pull me over in my diesel p/u and check the fill area for dyed fuel.
Only once this happened. They also went all over my trailer looking for issues.
They do look.
They will also park where they can see the off road bay to see if anyone uses it for on road purposes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My tractor uses diesel, but the one station around me seems to charge almost as much for "off road diesel" as other places charge for on road! Besides the fill area if filthy dirty. I just go to Wal Mart's Murphy Station and fill up the tanks for the tractor as well as my coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
It is also used by trucks for the generators for refrigeration units and for heavy equip. like backhoes and dozers.
I wish there was a place around here to get it as I have used 1,000's of gallons of taxed diesel for uses never touching a road.
If you keep a detailed record of where you put it you can file for a refund. I not sure about your state tax, but the federal excise tax is totally refundable. I did it for years for some refer trailer units.
If it runs off road it's exempt from federal highway excise tax.

The large number of diesel pick ups on the road today have made the temptation to save $$ on fuel is causing that feds to look for this lost revenue.

As posted, the fuel is the same ULSD you pay tax on, only red dye added

mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i didn't fill up the off road fuel. i am in oregon i wouldn't have the chance to put my hands on the dispenser . i had passed the station a few times and curious about it. today i passed there again so i took a pic... interesting to know. thanks.
you can fill your own diesel in oregon. there is no law against it. gasoline is where you will get your hand slapped.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Farmers here used to be able to use dyed fuel for their pickup trucks, etc if they were being used for farm business. Not sure if that is still the rule.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in Wisconsin all over the road diesel powered vehicles must use clear diesel fuel. Clear diesel fuel is taxed for state & federal highway tax at the terminal when the transport loads. If it is not taxed it is dyed red. Farm trucks operating over the road must use clear diesel. That being said I expect there are farm trucks running with red fuel in their tanks.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
so it's more about tax, not really too much of difference in the characteristics of the fuel self. i suppose?

isn't off-road ultra-low sulfur, too?
Up to last year (early 2015) off road diesel had a sulfur specification of 500ppm, on road ULSD has a sulfur specification of 15 ppm. EPA gave the off road users a 7-8 year transition period. This may be why some of us still thought they were different. Link to one article.

Now they are the same, except taxation, as mentioned.

Hope this adds some clarification.

Take care,
Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Farmers here used to be able to use dyed fuel for their pickup trucks, etc if they were being used for farm business. Not sure if that is still the rule.
You still can in Texas, but you have to have a "Farm Truck" license plate on it and there are restrictions on how you can use the vehicle.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #22

The difference is a little additive called TAXES they put this pretty dye in so that it can be detected. Your engine won't know the difference but those pesky revenuers will sure know.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #23

Several years ago, the State Patrol was stopping every diesel vehicle coming into Quartzite from the north and dipping the tanks looking for red fuel. He said that they do it because they catch people running it. And yes, they catch a few each time. Big fines.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Several years ago, the State Patrol was stopping every diesel vehicle coming into Quartzite from the north and dipping the tanks looking for red fuel. He said that they do it because they catch people running it. And yes, they catch a few each time. Big fines.
Just curious, but how did they do that? Maybe drain some fuel from the water/fuel separator filter? I tried to get a small tube into the tank once to attempt to drain diesel for my tractor. I could not get that tube in there for love or money!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #25

It was a flexible type of rod smaller than a tube he used and worked it around the bends and touched the fuel. I can't remember if it turned a different color for red or if the fuel on the end was tested with a type of paper. He said that farmers in their truck or RV were the most likely to get caught.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #26

Track the usage, and claim a credit based on per gallon usage on form 4136 on your taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
It is also used by trucks for the generators for refrigeration units and for heavy equip. like backhoes and dozers.
I wish there was a place around here to get it as I have used 1,000's of gallons of taxed diesel for uses never touching a road.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #27

I got it from good source. Off roads and heating oil are both dyed for tax purposes. However off road is low sulpher as new tractors and farm equipment have a lot of the same pollution equipment as cars. Heating oil is high sulpher because its cheaper to make and the burner doesn't care. So if you want to cheat ( not recommended) use off road and not heating oil.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
Track the usage, and claim a credit based on per gallon usage on form 4136 on your taxes.

+1 on this.....see post #16....

mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel