Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Several years ago (in Oregon) I had a 70 ga tank in the back of my truck to fuel my tractors. Also drove that truck and 5th wheel to Arizona many times. I have heard the stories of the Arizona state patrol dipping tanks but nobody could ever tell me when or where or supply a credible witness. I have not used the dyed fuel in my truck but I'm thinking that they would play heck checking my tanks without probably cause. I wasn't commercial so DOT does not have the authority to check either. That's a different can of worms. Not saying they haven't but I speak based on a lot of experience including my own children who are in law enforcement, They haven't heard of anyone being checked (legally) either and that covers three states. I have also filled that tank several times in Parker, Az with off road and never a word from the seller. Maybe Washington operates under a different set of laws. Don't know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #30

I drove rig for 43 years before retiring. Yes I have been I have had my fuel checked. There is a difference between Road Fuel and off-road fuel it is the sulfur content. The new vehicles and new engines both on and off road don't like high sulfur fuel as much. Not worth the fine if you get caught. Not worth the wear and tear on your engine either. Wouldn't do it hope you don't.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbus View Post
I wasn't commercial so DOT does not have the authority to check either. That's a different can of worms.
(SNIP)
Maybe Washington operates under a different set of laws. Don't know.
In Washington state, it's a Department of Revenue thing. They have the authority to stop you same as any other LEO.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I drove rig for 43 years before retiring. Yes I have been I have had my fuel checked. There is a difference between Road Fuel and off-road fuel it is the sulfur content. The new vehicles and new engines both on and off road don't like high sulfur fuel as much. Not worth the fine if you get caught. Not worth the wear and tear on your engine either. Wouldn't do it hope you don't.
Apparently you missed my post. Right from the oil company, no difference between off road and taxed as new equipment tractors, combines, etc have pollution equipment that requires the use of low sulpher fuel.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Off road has not had the road tax paid and has a red dye added. If for some reason the DOT checks you tank, they can tell if you have ever had red dye fuel and the fine is pretty hefty.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a good website to look at Locomotive, marine and non-road diesel fuel standards begin at later dates. - Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance
Old 08-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
I cant factually say the Georgia and Florida DOT do and often check for non-taxed fuel. In both commercial AND private vehicles. Big rigs, cars and trucks. I've heard they have a paper wax looking "stick they push down the fill and if it's dyed changes colors....

There's a group in north Florida that's into hot-rod "roll coal" diesel pick ups they've been busted more than a few times...

Thanks for the link palehorse89, that should clear up anyone's doubt about there being any difference between off and on road fuel.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Are highway diesel and off-road diesel different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Apparently you missed my post. Right from the oil company, no difference between off road and taxed as new equipment tractors, combines, etc have pollution equipment that requires the use of low sulpher fuel.

Some of us remember that off road and on road diesels had different specs up to 2014 (my previous post #20).

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect you will find the off-road diesel doesn't have the same additive package as the highway stuff either, but it all came out of the same refinery and it's all ULSD now 92016). It's primarily a tax thing - the federal and state taxes on "highway" motor fuels.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Could be a regional issue. We buy up to 10,000 gallons of off-road diesel at a time for our transfer tank. It's all the same here in Texas. There was a brief time period during the transition, that LSD was available for off-road. However, it was all ULSD long before it was mandated for off-road use in 2010.

We have two statutes that govern the use of OR diesel, IRS and state comptroller. IRS says any vehicle used exclusively off-roads. Texas says any vehicle that was manufactured exclusively for off-roads. Two different standards. We have 1/2 dozen water trucks that are used exclusively OR. Yet they were manufactured to be driven on the highway. They are unregistered and are transported by truck from job to job.

We've been inspected by both on several occasions, on the job sites. We had to succumb to the stricter rules (Texas) and use only taxed diesel in those vehicles. Funny thing. They both (IRS and Texas) claim that they trump the other.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #39

We used to run the off road fuel in our ambulances, as they were exempt. I was questioned by several mechanics about the dyed color in our fuel lines, the just shrugged their shoulders when I pointed out the exempt plates. We had no problems with the motors or injector systems that were related to the use of dyed fuel. JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #40

I'll add one more yea to the fact that today the fuel in on road and off road pumps is exactly the same except for the dye. When my son worked for the Southern States Cooperative, a farm supply store that supplies fuel, fertilizer, seed and feed in the mid-Atlantic states, he used to get me the empty 55 gal drums that they received their red dye in to use as farm trash barrels. Southern States would get fuel and would dye it on premises depending on what tank they were going to sell it out of. Same fuel, just different color and the price was based on whether tax was charged or not---Red, no tax. Not red, the tax had been added to the pump price.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
One of our friends delivers fuel from the refinery for a living. He said he fills from the same filler. When he checks out at shipping he tells them what he is supposed to be hauling. If it is offroad/farm fuel the shipper goes out with the dye packet and puts it in the tank. If it is on road he is simply released.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #42

to answer the question directly, yes they are different, in COLOR only.....
meseahunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel