Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #15

Thank all of you.
@Dave, thanks for sharing your dad's experience... it make a lot of sense to disconnect negative first. i didn't know there is a potential hydrogen gas around after charge... course learned. i will test the current with your method.
@Mr D, is there a way to tell if it's deep cycle type or not? the one on my coach is like this Battery (IN STORE PICKUP ONLY) 908D, made by east penn manufacturing. i know it's not cheap. i checked their website, it appears they are no longer making it. the receipt shows those batteries were installed by an rv shop in phoenix, the tech should have been aware of what type of battery to use... I am puzzled by the fact that why all three are the same type (when i first saw it, my eyebrows were raised as i expected one for starting two as deep cycle)...

the batteries do print at 32f max ca 1700; at 0f, max cca 1400. i didn't see any indication of deep cycle or anything.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
The exception is AGM batteries, CCA does not indicate a starting battery only. A prime example is the ODYSSEY: ODYSSEY Batteries - Marine Specifications But you will pay much higher $ for these very high quality batteries.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
After charging, you will get a meaningful voltage reading after the batteries have "rested" for an hour.
Fully charged batteries will reading 12.6 volts.
They will read high when the charger is running, or shortly after.
Many disconnect switches don't actually disconnect everything.
You can buy a cheap voltmeter at menards that will read voltage as well as a clampon ammeter that will help you track down your draw, if there is one.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
After charging, you will get a meaningful voltage reading after the batteries have "rested" for an hour.
Fully charged batteries will reading 12.6 volts.
They will read high when the charger is running, or shortly after.
Many disconnect switches don't actually disconnect everything.
You can buy a cheap voltmeter at menards that will read voltage as well as a clampon ammeter that will help you track down your draw, if there is one.
i had been using switches but it depleted every week. to rule out inverter or other non-battery issues, i disconnected the cables. now it appears the batteries are dead. the bad thing is these batteries only ran for 22 months from new.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #19

update:
After 7 days I went to my rv storage. with a multimeter, the chassis battery reading was at 12.44v, the other two house batteries: one was 12.00v, another was 11.94v. because the house batteries were disconnected, the batteries were holding pretty well, so nothing wrong with the batteries. When connected, a full charge of house batteries would be depleted within a week, so what was consuming electric while main switch was turned off? Could it be the switch cooked?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
thanks rick. i was using a multimeter to measure the voltages about two minutes after shutting off genny. a minute later i disconnected the positive terminals and measured again, the two were dropped to 13.90v and 13.94 respectively, immw.
The high voltages are called a surface charge. to get an accurate reading you need to load the batterys for about 2 minutes at 10 ampers to eliminate the surface charge then read battery voltage. the 24 hr voltages show fully discharged batterys. The batterys may be discharging if dirty on the tops. if clean, they need replacing
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
update:
After 7 days I went to my rv storage. with a multimeter, the chassis battery reading was at 12.44v, the other two house batteries: one was 12.00v, another was 11.94v. because the house batteries were disconnected, the batteries were holding pretty well, so nothing wrong with the batteries. When connected, a full charge of house batteries would be depleted within a week, so what was consuming electric while main switch was turned off? Could it be the switch cooked?
If I'm reading this correctly, I don't think I would agree that there's nothing wrong with your house batteries. With them disconnected for a week they degraded from a full charge down to 12.0v? I wouldn't think that should happen so quickly at all.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
update:
SDL -

I just went through all your posts and this is what I'm seeing:

Quote:
i have 3 batteries - 1 for chassis and 2 for house. the batteries are identical 908D with 1400 CCA, installed 2 years ago per receipt. since i acquired the coach, i have kept running genny for 30+ minutes each week, then turned off switches. a week later, the chassis battery was always good at 12.5v so engine could start right up, but the house batteries were always depleted, about 2v left. last night i charged those up to full, then disconnect the positive terminals on house batteries, just now i measured them again, here are the numbers:
You have 3 identical 8D batteries rated at 1400 CCA. Those are of course starting batteries, which cannot be run below 12v too many times or left in that state very long before they begin to fail. We don't know how many times in the last 2 years these batteries have been ran dead, close to dead, or how long they may have set that way. I do suspect they are now weak.

Running a generator only 30mins is not going to fully charge them, unless they were about 12.5v to begin with. It also depends on the charger you have. If it is a smart 3-stage charger, in Boost mode it will put out about 14.4v until it reaches 90% charged or 12.5v. Then switches to 13.6v. Here is a link from Progressive Dynamics showing charging times at the 3 voltages smart chargers use. Note: this is a single battery, not 2 huge 8Ds, so charging times will be longer. If you have a single stage charger (13.6v) you can see on the graph how much longer this will take.

Charging Times So this is also part of the problem as I see it.

The Battery Disconnect Switch for the house usually does not cut all power. Most coaches keeps the power on the CO2, Propane, smoke detector, ect. This is not a huge drain, but does take a toll if the batteries are not maintained.

Your last test indicated 12.44v on the chassis which is 80% charged, which is a 20% lose in 1 week. The house batteries were 12.00v and 11.94v, which is 40-50% charged in one week, a huge difference and indicates to me these batteries are at the end of there life, which is being caused by the 3 reasons I've mentioned.

I would suggest you need to do the following.

1. Eventually replace those house batts with 2 8D true deep cycles batteries, which I believe give about 500 AH (Amp-Hours). You DO NOT want batteries rated in CCA, this was your problem to begin with. If you have the room, 4 GC 6v deep cycles would give you 470 AH. Trojans or Interstates would be about $500. And about $400 at Costco or Sam's Club. 8Ds could run $350 - $800 a piece.

Keeping the coach plugged 24/7 would be optimal. Next best is remove batteries during storage and keep on a trickle charger at home. Solar charger would be good if stored outside, in a sunny area of the country and have 50+ watts and a charge controller. Using a generator certainly works, but 30 mins a week is not going to do it.

Here is a very good read and should explain much to you.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #23

Thank you all!!
clyon51 - that is excellent info, I really appreciate your thorough analysis. I really don't know the history of the batteries on the coach, so I am going to get a new set of batteries, just to be prepared; and keep the batteries in float charge after a full charge...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting occurrence. Today after reading this post I went out to the coach (it is in storage) and found my house batteries dead. I pulled a voltage check and found that connected they had 9.3 volts. So I started the engine and jumped the batteries to get enough voltage to start the generator. Ran the genny for about 3 hours, shut it down and cam home for dinner. Went back out and checked the batteries separately, one was at 8.8 and the other 9.3......New batteries for me. These only lasted 3 years and I am less than happy about that. They are series 24 Everstarts from W-Mart. I will be replacing them with series 27's from Costco. I have had the Costco batteries in my houseboat for 5 years and they still test at 12.7 fully charged..
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
We recently purchased four Duracell DC2 6-Volt golf cart batteries from a Sam's Club for about $82 each. They've worked like a champ so far and the Sam's Club price was the best we could find in our area.

JWEibeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries