Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2006, 03:52 AM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
I would never (even with the breaker off) use a jewlers file or anything metal and insert it into a pedestale's power outlet to clean with. Mabe (with the breaker off) a cardboard or plastic fingernail file if you really have to. I also use Dielectric Grease/Lubricant. I place a small amount between my thumb and finger and smear a light coating on the male plug terminals. Then plug and unplug a few times with the power off before turning the pedistal power on. Dielectric Grease is a electrical lubricant/anti-oxydant. Can be purchased at automotive stores or at electrical supply stores.

Monaco Knight PDQ38,2007
RR8R Chassis, ISC330 Cummins
Logthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2006, 04:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club

Your suggestion has my attention.

Do you do this every time you plug in? Would think a coat of grease every month or so would be enough to keep the blades in good shape. I like it!!

Steve & Sherri
2002 Winnebago Journey DL 39QD
Zimectrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Not everytime. But then again if the pedistal outlet looks iffy, I give it a shot. Keeps my plugs in better shape.
Monaco Knight PDQ38,2007
RR8R Chassis, ISC330 Cummins
Logthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
Logthumber, I never thought of the grease on it.
I have used it on low voltage connections before, like Satellite modem connection, but never thought of high voltage.

And yes, a metal file would be cause for a hospital visit if left on.

Since I cleaned all the connections more things work together now than before. Without heating up the breaker.

Now i need to do the same to my waterheater contacts.

It's a joke with my wife, because everytime something doesn't work right i say " it just needs cleaning". And I'm usually right.

Dan I'm good.

Thanks again.
No more RV'ing. Sold it.
lwmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #19
Last year at a private CG in Yakima WA the neutral came loose. Put the MH in series with 240 volts wiped outmost of the elect appliances, even the florescent light ballast and converter invertor. Had checked voltage and poliarity before plugging in all ok. Short time later every thing went to .... Anyway the first trouble in five years. But the surge guard is less expense and saves a big headache than having elect system down the tube. The Park owners response was tough sue me ain't his fault.
doug ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #20
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It only took one time for my to get knocked on my rear end. The hot and neutal were backwards. We had just come back from swimming and my feet were wet. I grabs the screen door and down I went. I reported the problem to the camp office. Their comment, I thought we got all of them fixed. Now I check the pedastal with a digital meter before I plug my cord in.

Earlier this year I check the plug on the pedistal and it check ok. Both polarity and voltage was ok. Then my Surge Guard unit kicked out. Wasn't sure what had happened since this was the first trip with the Surge Guard installed. It seems the camp power was down to about 85-90 volts. To many A/C's I guess.
George & Karen Wharton
2004 Allegro 30DA W-20
2000 Jimmy toad
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #21
We found a reverse polarity at the RV Park at White's City (Carlsbad Caverns)this last Spring. Terrible conditions in the park. Looked like they hadn't done maintainance in years.

Found an open neutral in an RV Park this summer can't remember where. These are the first two problems found in 2 years of testing.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #22
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Only once in the 2 years I have been checking. Found a Hot/Neutral reversed. I have done the needle file trick once. Just make sure the breaker is off and you touch NOTHING else but the file (Do Not ground yourself or complete a circuit in anyway).
High Voltage electronics was my trade.
in a
2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:34 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Only once for me in 30 years.....it was the one I installed in the backyard.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote