Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Smile Are MH Covers Worth The Cost Or Effective?

Are covers worth the money Camping world has a ADCO Class A Designer Tyvek RV Cover 37'1" to 40' on sale for $283.50 is this a good cover.

irocz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
It is a great cover BUT, over the winter it put brush marks in the side of my unit. I had the thing as tight as you could ever get it and parked next to the garage and still the little it moved due to wind it made marks.

George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
jergeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Our used Georgetown came with one. The instructions were to climb onto the roof, haul it up behind you, then drop the font section over the windshield. Next, unfold it over the roof, dropping the sides down as you walked backwards towards the ladder. Finally, holding thee back section over your head, climb back down the ladder.

Since the MH book said "DON'T WALK ON THE ROOF", we never used it in the 4 years we had the rig.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #4

Originally Posted by irocz86 View Post
Are covers worth the money Camping world has a ADCO Class A Designer Tyvek RV Cover 37'1" to 40' on sale for $283.50 is this a good cover.
I used this same cover for 2 years until we bought a place with a garage. It is a good cover. Just make sure to pad any sharp or pointed objects like roof vents, ladder edges etc. I loosened the mirrors and swung them inward to the windshield. Put a little mark on the mounts so you get them back in the same spot.
There are always pros and cons but for me, anything is better than sitting outside in the elements. I paid extra for the extended warranty and sure enough, first year I had holes from the ladder. (Lack of padding on the rungs). Returned to CW for a new replacement. Used it for another year and sold it for half price. Paid for itself in car wash expense.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Covering my MH with a cover does not make much sense to me. It was designed to be outside. This is our third MH, I still have a 5th wheel and use to own a TT. Never covered any of them and have had no problems. Just maintain the roofs by cleaning them off and keep your gutters clean.
2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
We use our ADCO cover every year (3 winters now) it's a pain to get on because it is so heavy and a pain to store. We lay it next the the Georgetown and I push it up to my wife from front to back. She spreads it out and adjusts it after laying the antenna down.

I would prefer another alternative but it is necessary at our place to protect the roof and paint from pitch.
coupevilleDF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Originally Posted by irocz86 View Post
ANY cover is a good cover, IF YOU USE IT. The problem with any of those canvas/plastic/sunbrella(seriously expensive) is, it's a serious pain in the a$$ to put them on and, then take them off. Then, when you're done with a trip, you have to PUT THEM ON AGAIN. Well, there's a couple of reasons why folks use a cover. One is to protect them of course form the elements, i.e. the sun. The second reason is to try and keep them clean after the coach has been cleaned.

Well, there's a problem with that. You see, if you clean your coach, and then go through the hassle of installing that cover, it's now protected, basically from most dirt, debris, leaves, etc. But, realize this. That cover WILL get dirty too. It will collect all the above and, store it.

Now, most humans will not do what's needed to prevent that dirt, that's been collected on that cover, from being deposited in between the cover and the coach, the next time the cover is deployed onto the coach. The only real way that you can accomplish that is to, take that cover and fold it completely in half, from one end to the other, so that you "trap" the existing dirt etc. that's stuck on it. Then you fold it in half again, and again etc. 'till you're at a point that you can handle folding it up to store.

Now, when it comes time to re-deploy that cover back onto the coach, you have to un-fold it, EXACTLY opposite of how you folded in the first place. Can you see what I'm explaining? In this manor, you will not deposit any of the dirt that was collected on top of that cover, in between the cover and the coach.

If you fold or roll that cover in any other manor, you will in fact, ROLL THE DIRT right into it. Then, when you roll it back out and onto the coach, guess what, you're rolling that collected dirt, right onto the coach. So, this is why many folks don't use them. And of course, there's the etching factor to that leads to scratches and etching of the paint due to any movement of that cover if any wind and breezes are present. Your choice. Good luck.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Ultraviolet is very damaging to your RV...if it is sitting idle, particularly in the summer, it's worth it to cover it.

I can't believe there is an motorhome out there that would be damaged by walking on the roof, which is necessary to put a cover on it.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
I used a cover one year on our 98 Pace Arrow Vision. Getting it up there and securing it so as not to move and leave rub marks was a real pain and risky job. In 2003 when we bought a new coach I felt it was worth another $8500 to build an RV port to protect our investment. For the last 12 years, our motor homes have been protected better than any cover could do and all I have to do to put it on is drive into it. If one is willing to spend $75,000 to $500,000 on a motorhome, why not protect that investment with a shelter. My average per year cost is now down to $700 and getting lower each year.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many years ago I bought a cover for a trailer we had.

The first time we put it on my wife, daughter and I did the job.

The next time my daughter disappeared so my wife and I did the job.

The third, and last, time nobody showed up so I did it myself.

It wore some paint off the front of the trailer.

I'm curious how much a cover weighs that is big enough for a 40 foot motorhome.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
Will a good wax job every year protect the paint ? I can't see a lot of people putting the cover on and off each time they use the coach if they don't have a indoor storage area available. It would be dangerous for the older folks to get up on the roof ....
Giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
On previous MH I had one it lasted about 4 years. I purchased a steel carport for the rev just park and forget it.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #13
As I pointed out above, if you are going to invest in a motorhome, and if you have the room, why not build an RV port for it to be sheltered from the sun, rain, hail, birds, leaves, etc?? Most people want and have a garage for their cars, that don't cost anywhere near what they might spend on a motorhome. Why buy a cover and risk falling off the roof with a serious injury or worse?
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
They're better than nothing & will last about 4 years before needing replaced. You can see pics of ours by clicking on the link in my sig & scrolling down to the ADCO cover album.

We put one on our coach before we built the RV port. Kept it clean & the UV off it through the winter storage months for 3 years. It really is a 2-person job to get one on & don't even attempt it if the wind is over 5mph.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote