Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Are roof solar panels a headache or benefit?

Our new diesel pusher is about ready to come out of the paint step and ready for final inspection and installation of 2 rooftop solar panels.

Been doing some research and are now worrying whether the solar panels will be of benefit or more of a headache.

Any recommendations?
dmcquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We only have one solar panel, which has never given any problems, but then again, we don't boondock!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We only have one solar panel, which has never given any problems, but then again, we don't boondock!
Do you have any issues with breakage??
I was told that they break easily if anything hits them.
dmcquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
Our new diesel pusher is about ready to come out of the paint step and ready for final inspection and installation of 2 rooftop solar panels.
Been doing some research and are now worrying whether the solar panels will be of benefit or more of a headache.
Any recommendations?
dmcquinn
The one Siemens 70 watt solar panel for the house batteries on my coach has never been problematic.
However the Solarex 5 watt panel for the chassis batteries failed because of rain water intrusion.
In '06 I replaced it with another 5 watt from Harbor Freight.
I find both to be beneficial.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

I've had solar on two different rigs with no problems and we like to boondock. Currently have 275 watts on the roof in the MH and will add another panel when I replace the 4 12v batteries that came with it. Love the tranquillity that nature provides but still use the generator for microwave or charging on a cloudy day.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have 4 100 watt panels that were a factory option in 2009. They still work just fine or at least the charge controller shows they are.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
Do you have any issues with breakage??
I was told that they break easily if anything hits them.

I've never had any kind of problem. I don't know how susceptible to breakage they are.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

If rocks come from the sky during a storm then they may break but I have never heard of that type of thing happening. I did my own solar installation and have two 160 watt panels up there, one being able to tilt if I want. We very seldom go anywhere with hookups and I really enjoy being able to use my coach the way it should be used and have my batteries completely charged the next day without ever running the generator. Microwave and A/C is the only thing that requires the genny and that is not very often. Make sure you get a good battery monitor if you chose to go this route.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
Community Moderator

i took down the po installed 175w 12v panels and put up 1200w 48v residential panels in this past summer. it had zero issues up to now, and expect nothing other than sufficient electric flow into the controller. obviously no headache but benefit.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #10

I have two 120 watt panels. They have been trouble free, but you do need to get up there and clean them occasionally. Hopefully the charge controller that is being installed has an equalizing function built in. This is very useful in maximizing battery life. To me one of the key benefits of a solar system is keeping the batteries up while in storage. Putting in a good battery monitor is really helpful too. The Trimetric from Bogart Engineering gives you real time info on battery state, power usage, etc.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #11

Depending on what you want the solar panels to do, two panels may or may not be enough. We have 620 watts on the roof now. I am replacing the six wet cell house batteries with Lifeline AGM's which will bump the storage up to 900 amps. My controller can handle 300 more watts, so I might add two more 160 watt panels. I have never heard of solar panels being a problem. You haven't mentioned who is installing the panels, but if it is Tiffin, you can get a lot more for your money from an independent supplier.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My coach originally came with a 85 watt panel to maintain the batteries (which I question whether it would do this). The PO installed 2-125 watt panels so I now have 335 watts total. On a sunny day I can get +15 amps of charging power which in cooler climates is enough to charge the batteries to full charge and allow battery usage at night with minimal use of generator.

When I first got the coach the 2 larger panels were not charging, contacted the manufacturer and even though I was not the original purchaser they replaced, that has been ~6 years ago and they are still working great. I did a test this year on each panel by covering the other 2 to confirm their output.

IMHO I think the panels are worth it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
If rocks come from the sky during a storm then they may break but I have never heard of that type of thing happening.
My solar panel although it was not working nor has worked sense I owned the coach while parked under a Hickory nut tree several nuts hit the roof and the solar panel and it sounded like an explosion!!!! Take my word for it if you park under one of those you might have some busted glass and a not so peaceful sleep!

my .02

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #14

I think that if stuff is falling out of the sky hard enough to break the solar panels the solar panels it selves will be the least of your worries. I have four on top of mine and one broke only because a 14' roller tube from the slide awning was ripped from the coach and thrown on top of the roof knocking a hole in it. They are designed to be outside and weather the elements. Just put them up there and forget about them.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, panel, roof, solar