Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Are Sumitomo's OK as Steer Tires?

Considering replacing all 6 of my 39ft 2005 Providence tires with Sumitomo 275 R70 22.5s; they have a 16 ply Load H tire that is an exact spec match for my existing Goodyears (date code 2004). Does anyone out there have any difficulty with using the Sumitomos as steer tires? Most of the treads I have read on these tires show positive feedback. Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks!
mrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

They will be just fine as steer tires.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sumitomo makes a good tire. If they rate the model you have chosen as a steer or all-position tire, I would not have the slightest qualm about using them on the steer axle.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should be OK, except aren't they truck tires? And if so they will probably ride rougher than ones made for RV usage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

I've been very pleased with my set of sumitomo's, and they're on all positions. No difference in the ride than the bridgestone's I removed from the steer position or the XRV's from the drive position.

Fred
Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Received this from Sumitomo:
I’d like to assure you that the Sumitomo ST727 275/70r22.5 tire has been engineered and developed for use on North American highways. It’s true, the tread design is not specifically designed for RV use like other manufacturers. But rest assured that the casing integrity of this tire meets or exceeds the standards required of it for extended normal highway use up to 75 MPH. I believe you will see in comparing our load carrying capacities, tread depth and speed rating is comparable to other manufacturers tires in this size.
Sumitomo has a long standing quality reputation for technology; using the single ply of steel in the body, multiple layers of steel belt in tread, and a tread design that will resist irregular wear and give good fuel efficiency and stability. The ST727 is a proven performer.

Thank you so much for your interest in Sumitomo Tires. For additional information, please visit our website at sumitomotires.com
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

Interesting that the 727 is available in your size but not mine. The 709 would fit mine but not yours. Wonder why they do that.
I have Yokohama RY023 on my coach and they are like new after 5 years so I don't think you need worry about "foreign" tires.
Here is a good comparison chart http://www.sumitomotire.com/assets/p...hart_pages.pdf
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

sumitomos

I have 6 of them on my 03 39 ft. ts. for 4years and have had no prob.and the coach runs fine pk42.
pk42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires