Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #29

American Coach Owners Club
Our '99 American Dream has 8.3 350 ISC & 6 speed Allison.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Wild Bill Ed Send a message via Yahoo to Wild Bill Ed
The World 3000 Allison is a 6 speed and 2 overdrives for absolute sure! Pull a trailer and you can count it shifting smoooothlly, you have to pay attention. The 3060 is the same. 4060 is 6 speed and 2 overdrives and so is the World 4000 Allison. Go back to the early 90s and all of the MD Allisons are 6 speeds and 2 over drives. The way I count that = eight speeds forward, Why do you all want 6 speeds, seriously? Don't believe me call Allison

ATV, & an Old Town Kevlar Canoe, Solar Promoter, Generator delete, Dry Camper
Wild Bill Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Ed View Post
The World 3000 Allison is a 6 speed and 2 overdrives for absolute sure! Pull a trailer and you can count it shifting smoooothlly, you have to pay attention. The 3060 is the same. 4060 is 6 speed and 2 overdrives and so is the World 4000 Allison. Go back to the early 90s and all of the MD Allisons are 6 speeds and 2 over drives. The way I count that = eight speeds forward, Why do you all want 6 speeds, seriously? Don't believe me call Allison
Wild Bill:

Allison 3000/4000 transmissions are 6-speed with 4th gear direct drive and the 5th and 6th speeds as overdrive. The 5th and 6th ratios are .75 and .65 for the 3000 series with .74 and .64 for the 4000 series.

See the specs at the download section of this Allison page:

RV - Motorhome
Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
In addition, the Allison MD series (6 speed) was usually only put in the larger, heavier RVs. Allison put thousands of AT54- and AT64- four speed transmissions in shorter, lighter RVs, fire trucks, buses, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is a 1996

We bought a 1996 Monaco Dynasty last year (haven't yet owned it for a year). It was in really good shape both physically and mechanically. Engine and transmission had been serviced prior to my purchase so we just up-and-ran-it last season.
Already looking forward to this season (making this a 4-day weekend to go to the Sierras), a a1-week trip in March, a weekend in April and another week in May to Crescent City, CA.

We did a 2-week trip in Sept/Oct. 2015 that put 2904 miles on the clock. Had one minor incidence that kept us from moving along. Though my rig is not a space shuttle, it was an o-ring in the fuel system that allowed air in and shut us down.

Being a mechanical-type injection pump meant that running the pump dry didn't kill it, requiring an expensive replacement. I did the diagnosis, called a local mobile diesel mechanic (this was 1400 miles from home in McCall, ID) and got billed $95 for the fix. Made a friend while I was at it.

Mechanic said that I should NEVER sell the rig. Paint it if you need a new look - remodel the interior if the wife needs a new look. The engine / transmission combo was unstoppable and solid as a rock. I believe I will pay attention to the man with the experience.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Ed View Post

The Allison MD series, 3000 and 4000 transmissions are SIX SPEED transmissions. Yes, they do have two "overdrive" gears, but they are not a, "...6 speeds and 2 over drives..." for a total of 8 forward gears. If you want to say it that way, they have 4 speeds and 2 over drives for a total of SIX forward gears. They don't make an 8-speed transmission for the motor home market.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #35

Many thanks to everyone who responded!

When I posted this thread the heading should have included that I was looking for a coach as stated, but also one 30' or less. I tried to change that, but was unable to do so. Possibly because my computer skills aren't the best. I'm sorry that was left out.

We bought a 26' 454 powered Flair that we will use for our 8k mile trip this Summer. It replaces the diesel TC we've used since '93. The Summer trip along with a hunting trip this Fall will determine if we keep the Flair. If not we will be looking for a diesel pusher around 30' long with 5.9 Cummins and an Allison 6 speed from the mid '90s. After looking on the internet for several months to see what was available and finding very little I thought I would ask here. I have learned a lot from all your responses.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine is... 8.3c Cummins... All steel body and roof (fiberglass below beltline).

Tags
allison, class a, diesel