Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Are there any 6 cylinder diesel, 6 speed allison, class A MHs from the 90s?

Since the early 80s until now we've had diesel powered 4WD TCs. They've carried us from our home in OR to WV where we grew up, many other places along the way, and to Alaska. They have also taken us to many out of the way places a larger vehicle could not go. I would like to continue doing this as long as our health allows. We usually tow a Tracker, Metro, or bike trailer.

Last Summer after returning from WV, Oshkosh, Y Stone, Tetons, to OR, my wife said, if we're going to continue to do long trips (I'm 76 and she's 69) we need something that rides better, does not have a bed that requires climbing to get into, and has a bathroom and food available while driving without climbing through a hole. With the thoughts from the first paragraph above in mind I found a '93 26' 454 powered Flair MH that we plan to take our OR-WV-SC-FL-GA-AL-OR trip in this Summer. If it works out all right we will probably keep it, but I would much prefer diesel and have been looking for something 30' or shorter with a 6 cylinder diesel, 6 speed Allison configuration. MHs like this that were built in the 90s seem to be few and far between, at least from my searching over the past few months. I wondered if those who have been around MHs for a long time would have any recommendations?

I have always done my own repairs and maintenance and continue to do so. I'm currently getting the Flair into shape and I'm finding a lot of things wrong with it, but the coach is basically sound with only 41k miles on the drive train and 56 hrs on the gen. A diesel like this would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A six cylinder diesel is easy, 6 speed Allison a bit harder, 30 ft or shorter really limits you. My RV is a 5.9 Cummins, but only a 4 speed Allison, 30 ft long. The 6 speed was used in bigger (longer) RVs mostly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Our fist MH was a Flair, 30' with the same motor. Better mileage than the V-10, but seriously gutless on the steep climbs. Granted I pulled a 6x12 enclosed, but couldn't wait to get rid of it.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

I have a 96 Monaco Windsor 32' with a 5.9B and a 6 speed Allison.
It runs great and is non computer. Just change oil and keep fuel in it and it will keep on running, it is darn near bullet proof,
I looked for a long time to find this one as the wife limited me to 32'.
If you look hard enough - you'll find one.
It has 174,000 miles on it now.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #5

dix39
My Safari has a 6 cylinder 250hp 3126 Caterpillar engine and an Allison MD3060 6 speed automatic transmission.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, (146,275 miles)
Old 01-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

1998 Monaco Windsor with a six cylinder 8.3 - 300 mechanical and an Allison 6-speed MD-3060. It is a 32-foot. Eight-bag Roadmaster chassis rides pretty nice.

Matt B
Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #7

Thanks a bunch guys! I agree that will be a difficult MH to to find.

So far in my looking I've found two that I would have considered buying, a '93 30' 5.9 6 speed Monaco, and a '97' 30' Cat powered 6 speed Safari. I don't know much about Cat engines except that I don't care much for the 3208. After seeing the Safari I did a little research on the Cat engine which I believe must have been similar to the one mel s has. I think it was listed as a 330. It looked like a slow turning engine with a lot of torque, which was good in my mind. A '96 5.9BT would be my choice, but only because I'm familiar with working on them and have had good luck with the one I have. The mid '90s 5.9s also have an in line pump and intercooler which our '89 does not have. I would would agree with sjholt that they are pretty much bulletproof. The one in our TC has 286k and is still going strong. I would prefer a diesel without electronics, mostly because I am familiar with working on them.

It looks like Monaco and Safari are about the only choices so far. I'll do some more research on them.

When we brought our Flair from Southern Ca to OR, towing the Metro we used to go down there in I thought it did OK. It had no problem coming up the CA side of the Siskiyous on I-5 at 50, but it is only 26' and probably considerably lighter than your 30' with a 6X12 enclosed trailer. What was the mileage with it? I'm hoping for 10 and if it is significantly lower I will definitely go to diesel.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
When we brought our Flair from Southern Ca to OR, towing the Metro we used to go down there in I thought it did OK. It had no problem coming up the CA side of the Siskiyous on I-5 at 50, but it is only 26' and probably considerably lighter than your 30' with a 6X12 enclosed trailer. What was the mileage with it? I'm hoping for 10 and if it is significantly lower I will definitely go to diesel.

Thanks again.

Steve
We live in the Sacramento area, and went to the Oregon Dunes twice every year. It was always around 9+ on the way up, and a little over 10 on the way back. LOTS of gradual downhill on the way home, so that's why the difference.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #9

b obl

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #10

Thanks B Dubya, that would be acceptable to me. I've been told they will get about what your does by some and much lower by others. So you came up I-5 to Winston and then 42 to Coos Bay? How did yours do coming up over the Siskiyou summit? On our way back we came through Sacramento and followed I-5 to where we live just South of Medford. I was planning to check the mileage on that trip, but too many things happened and I lost track of it.

The 30' Monaco was in Sacramento. I called several times and talked with the owner about it. The second time I called he had sold it. He seemed like a nice guy and I think he went to some dunes down there, or possibly in Nevada. My two sons used to go over to the dunes just North of North Bend, which I think is where you go, with their dirt bikes. I have a friend here who had a VW powered sand rail and invited my wife and I over for a ride one time. I didn't think I'd ever get the sand out of my pants legs.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 01-29-2016, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
We live in the Sacramento area, and went to the Oregon Dunes twice every year. It was always around 9+ on ther way up, and a little over 10 on the way back. LOTS of gradual downhill on the way home, so that's why the difference.

I ewfe

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
I ewfe
Is that Klingon?

Quote:
b obl
...or Romulan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
So you came up I-5 to Winston and then 42 to Coos Bay? Correct How did yours do coming up over the Siskiyou summit? Like a Dawg!

My two sons used to go over to the dunes just North of North Bend, which I think is where you go, with their dirt bikes. Yup. We've been going there a lot of years. It's great when it's 105 down here!! San in our pants legs was the least of our problems,,,if ya get my drift!!!

Steve
Old 01-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
b obl
Quote:
I ewfe
Could you please translate this who don't understand, "b obl" and "I ewfe"

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #14

Well, that makes me feel better. At least I'm not the only one who didn't understand the meaning of those....uh....statements? Please decode.

B Dubya, those big 500 cc 2 stroke dirt bikes seem to me like they're just waiting for an opportunity to hurt someone. I didn't give them a chance. I'll stick to my CT 90s.:-))

Best of luck.

Steve

Tags
allison, class a, diesel