Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
I laugh, don't need a DP to travel at 59MPH. Once you are parked they are both moving at the same speed.
It all depends if the jacks are down or not.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
After starting our full timing last Sept, DW and I are now in South Carolina. We've had a great time so far but think we've noticed a difference in the ratio of gas to diesel MHs as we've gotten to the east.

On the "left coast" it's been our perception that we've seen far more diesels than gassers but that has seemingly changed here on the right coast.

Are we imagining this or do the wide open spaces in the west lead more people to diesels?

Just turn south and head to Florida, far more DPs than Gassers. I think that it depends on what State you are in and what type of park you are staying at. On average, the weekend and vacation campers will most likely be in different places than the fulltimers and seasonal travelers (snowbirds) or (winter Texans).

Now to accommodate those that defend one or the other, the gasser over a 10 year period used to be far less expensive. Over the past 10 years, Gassers have upgraded their options, appearance and price. A high-end gasser will approach a low end DP. It started with the gassers trying to compete with the DPs by loading them up with options and quality. The DPs responded with smaller engines and no frills DPs.

If you match most options and compare the two, the gasser is less costly to purchase, operate and maintain. They both loose the same percentage on depreciation. I also have often heard the pulling power for hills issue and it is nice for the 1/10 of 1% of the time you really need it and if that's what it takes to justify the money you spend, so be it.

My guess would be that any difference in product mix is more related to the demographic average income than to specific geography, unless the specific geography has a higher average income.

Let's face it, most spend what they can. If that was not true, we would all live in small houses. You no, those big houses pull the hills easier!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for some good reading, the last few nights had been boring, just wanted to pump things up. I have a '06 Dodge Dually oil burner pulls a three car hauler, up hills down hills, day, night, freezing cold, blistering hot, nothing stops it. Bought it because it makes money, but just to go RVing I don't need it. With my old gasser RV never had to drop down to 25 mph, 45-50 yes, for maybe 20 minutes. We usually see the DP that passed us at some point on the road or at a fuel stop. On the flats a good running 440, 454, 460 can break the speed limit any day of the week. That will be the next juicy topic, DODGE, CHEVY, FORD. I'll get mine in now big block DODGE was the best, I really the killer old MOPARS.
Goodnight!
J
Old 04-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
After being on both coasts, I have to agree there are more class A DP out west. I've been in Louisiana for 5 months. The rv parks where I'm staying has 300 sites and fills up most every weekend. About 80% of the rv's are 5th wheels and mostly local. So it seems like different parts of the country has different needs and preferences.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could it be the salaries people earn in the west? Not everyone who drives an RV is retired.

We live in SoCal and seriously looked into moving to Tennessee several years ago. I would have been forced to take a 2/3 cut in pay for the same profession. Cost of living was less, but not low enough to come close to closing the gap. I would have never been able to afford our DP had we moved.

Just a thought...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Just turn south and head to Florida, far more DPs than Gassers. I think that it depends on what State you are in and what type of park you are staying at. On average, the weekend and vacation campers will most likely be in different places than the fulltimers and seasonal travelers (snowbirds) or (winter Texans).

Now to accommodate those that defend one or the other, the gasser over a 10 year period used to be far less expensive. Over the past 10 years, Gassers have upgraded their options, appearance and price. A high-end gasser will approach a low end DP. It started with the gassers trying to compete with the DPs by loading them up with options and quality. The DPs responded with smaller engines and no frills DPs.

If you match most options and compare the two, the gasser is less costly to purchase, operate and maintain. They both loose the same percentage on depreciation. I also have often heard the pulling power for hills issue and it is nice for the 1/10 of 1% of the time you really need it and if that's what it takes to justify the money you spend, so be it.

My guess would be that any difference in product mix is more related to the demographic average income than to specific geography, unless the specific geography has a higher average income.

Let's face it, most spend what they can. If that was not true, we would all live in small houses. You no, those big houses pull the hills easier!
Thanks for all the insights folks. I guess it's hard to have a discussion on DPs without it turning into a debate vs gassers but that wasn't my intention.

I do have a question about the quote above though. Is it really true that DP and gas depreciate at the same rate? I was under the impression that DPs held their value better.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I do have a question about the quote above though. Is it really true that DP and gas depreciate at the same rate? I was under the impression that DPs held their value better.
Oh........here we go!
J
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I know it's hard to believe, except for high mileage on Gassers, on a percentage basis, they both depreciate at the same rate over 7-10 years. This is not speculation, it's just simple fact!

2001 Newmar Mountainaire 38 ft. Gasser List $117,957 Current Average Retail $45,090 = Depreciation of 62%

2001 Newmar Mountianaire 38 Ft DP List $223,043 Current Average retail $88,090
$134,953 = Depreciation of 61%

Source: NADA Guide

You could have replaced the engine in the Gasser twice and still saved $90K over the life of the two! The depreciation boogie man is just that, a boogie man.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know it's hard to believe, except for high mileage on Gassers, on a percentage basis, they both depreciate at the same rate over 7 years. This is not speculation, it's just simple fact!

2001 Newmar Mountainaire 38 ft. Gasser List $117,957 Current Average Retail $45,090 = Depreciation of 62%

You could have replaced the engine in the Gasser twice and still saved $100K over the life of the two! The depreciation boogie man is just that, a boogie man.
Data! I LOVE data!

Thanks Jim... surprising to me. I just can't believe that salesman lied to me...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I was one for years, and if I might say myself, a good one!

The problem is, that with most salesmen, it's easy to tell when they are lying; their lips move!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Oh........here we go!
Too funny!

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I was one for years, and if I might say myself, a good one!

The problem is, that with most salesmen, it's easy to tell when they are lying; their lips move!
Quick question, I was once told by a salesman that the Workhorse chassies are waaaaay better than the P-30's. He said "you really shoud trade up" and take this BIG payment this toy. Are they reeeealy waaaaay better even after you get some good miles on them? Everything feels good new.
J
Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I know it's hard to believe, except for high mileage on Gassers, on a percentage basis, they both depreciate at the same rate over 7-10 years. This is not speculation, it's just simple fact!

You could have replaced the engine in the Gasser twice and still saved $90K over the life of the two! The depreciation boogie man is just that, a boogie man.
Oh but that 1% difference will buy a lot of fuel.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

First, no one pays MSRP, so the figures you listed are meaningless.

Second, whats the CCC of each? For a fulltimer, that is really a question that needs to be answered.

Third, air ride and exhaust brake = priceless.

Fourth - if you are worried about depreciation, don't by any MH - - sort of like a boat, if worrying about costs drives you to sleepless nights, go do something else.

Reason for more DP in the West - - THE MOUNTAINS. Plus, nice big open parks to stay in rather than tiny, worn looking campgrounds we so often found in the east.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote