Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Are There More Diesels Out West???

After starting our full timing last Sept, DW and I are now in South Carolina. We've had a great time so far but think we've noticed a difference in the ratio of gas to diesel MHs as we've gotten to the east.

On the "left coast" it's been our perception that we've seen far more diesels than gassers but that has seemingly changed here on the right coast.

Are we imagining this or do the wide open spaces in the west lead more people to diesels?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Out here in the west, the DP is a status symbol, kinda like a Mercedes or Bimmer you don't need one, buuttt if you got the money what the heck!!!
What does a weekend RVer need a DP for? We see it all of the time.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Might be more fulltimers staying out west?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Mountains, higher elevations more wide open spaces all favor the power and economy of a turbo charged diesel over a gasser. Yes, they do come at a premium. Most of the people with a DP started with a smaller gas fueled rig.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I live in the southwest. I believe a lot of people want to retire out this way. There are a lot of DPs out this way but I believe most are not owned by the locals.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Economy of a DP, it cost a ton to buy it. I can buy a lot of gas with the difference, and who really puts 500,000 mile on a R.V.? A lot of them get traded in for the latest bells and whistles.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let's not turn this into another argument over which is better.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #8

We would never own a gas coach again. Our reasons are simple, we want all the "cool stuff." Gas coaches simply can't handle the weight. We don't want to be gong up hills at 25 with everyone flying past us at 70! I don't like being thrown all over the road everytime a truck passes. Having said that not everyone needs all the cool stuff and not everyone travels across country. If it's a weekend coach where you drive 50 miles on a weekend to park at a lake then you probably don't have the same needs that we do. It's very simple you buy what you can afford. Not sure I've ever noticed any difference in numbers of DP's on either coast. Never really thought about it.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I believe it has a lot to do with the topography of the western U.S. If you look at a map of the continental U.S., you will see mountain ranges that make up the continental divide. We live 15 miles from the divide and have to cross 5 mountain ranges to get to the west coast. If we go north we get into the Glacier Park area which is made up of mostly mountains. To the south is Yellowstone and some of you are familiar with the grades there and surrounding areas. I tow a truck that weighs about 5500 lbs so when I travel these mountainous areas I need all the torque I can get and that only comes from a turbo charged diesel engine. When we go south for the winter we still encounter lots of grades that make me happy I have the torque to make it with ease. Plus I wanted the superior handling characteristics only a diesel chassis can offer. There are myriad reasons to own a diesel rig I'm sure but these are mine.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I live in the Salt Lake area, land of big mountains---Back in the 70's (before diesel pickups) I watched my boss dump thousands of $$ into his Dodge pickup, just so he could pull HIS horse trailer up Parley's canyon faster than his 2 neighbors. When he was done it was basically a dragster with a trailer hitch. Which is exactly what he wanted!

It's kind of the mind-set around here, people LOVE going being able to go up the canyon roads faster than the next guy. I just bought our first diesel (of any kind) and I love how it climbs hills, but that was a bonus. And I DO like the beefy-ness factor of the diesel-- we had a '92 Winnebago Brave on the 'breadbox' chassis (forget the number at the moment) and while we loved it, at 60k miles the front end was totally shot. And I remember trying to find the right parts was a pain...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Economy of a DP, it cost a ton to buy it. I can buy a lot of gas with the difference, and who really puts 500,000 mile on a R.V.? A lot of them get traded in for the latest bells and whistles.
J
There are all kinds of DPs. Not all of them have lots of bells and whistles.

Here's an interesting story. My buddy, with a 32ft gasser amd I were both going from Dallas, Tx to Mystic Seaport, CT. . There was about $1. between the price of gas and the price of diesel (higher). He gets 7mpg. I get 10mpg. Guess which of us would spend less on fuel for that trip? Hint:2000 miles and $3.50 versus $4.50 per gallon.

Even though the cost of parts on our DP is more, sometimes a lot more, I'll match my overall maintenance costs with gassers over 30 feet. I admit that there is no discussion for the DP maintenance if it isn't DIY. If it is, however, my guess is that its close to a 50/50 discussion with a gasser Engine oil changes, for example, are more expensive on the DP but only need done once a year. We've never put 15K in a single year and that is the change frequency on the Cummins.. The extra costs for the air brake air filter, etc, are balanced out by routine maintenance items on a gasser including plugs, etc.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nuttin but Diesels out here

Gassers hide
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maintenance costs are more for our diesel per oil change, but we only need to change the oil every 10-15K or once a year. A gasser should change every 3K or so. We get 10MPG out of our Cat at 63MPH. I think that more than evens out the cost of fuel difference. That aside, we like the quiet. We looked at a newer gasser originally, it cost more than the diesel we ended up with. When we compared the CCCs there was no reason to give up 1500 pounds of CCC to go with the gasser.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I laugh, don't need a DP to travel at 59MPH. Once you are parked they are both moving at the same speed.
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote