Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

Are there ways to prevent cracked windshields???

I have replaced the passengers side window once & I am about to replace the drivers side for a third time. The last stone would have missed if it were 1/4 inch lower. The bus type flat front takes a solid hit & is not able to glance off. I have a 2005 Bounder now & the last RV had a slanted windshield & I only had one replacement.
Someone told me a bug shield would deflect some stones but I am uncertain about that.
Is there a plastic sheet that could go over the windshield but then you have the windshield wiper???
We are anal about staying away from any type of construction vehicle.
My insurance has a $500 deductible & the windshield costs $800 so I won't bother the insurance co. so the rates don't rise.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

You are not doing anything wrong except being a quart low on luck! I have gotten chipped/cracked twice without being anywhere near construction...oncoming vehicles did it both times...just drive and don't worry about it...nothing you can do except maybe drive in reverse

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In Alaska it's simply a fact of life. More cracked and chipped windshield here than there are good ones. Alaskan's have tried everything to prevent it, nothing seems to help here. Not only do we lose windshields we lose side windows as well.

They do make a bullet proof glass that was once looked at for our oil field vehicles, cost killed that idea.

I will follow this thread in the hopes someone has a cure.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #4

stay 100ft back from vehicle infront of you and you won't get a broken windows?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauls View Post
stay 100ft back from vehicle infront of you and you won't get a broken windows?
Nope. The only two windshields I have had to replace were from oncoming traffic.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan 560 View Post
I have replaced the passengers side window once & I am about to replace the drivers side for a third time. The last stone would have missed if it were 1/4 inch lower. The bus type flat front takes a solid hit & is not able to glance off. I have a 2005 Bounder now & the last RV had a slanted windshield & I only had one replacement.
Someone told me a bug shield would deflect some stones but I am uncertain about that.
Is there a plastic sheet that could go over the windshield but then you have the windshield wiper???
We are anal about staying away from any type of construction vehicle.
My insurance has a $500 deductible & the windshield costs $800 so I won't bother the insurance co. so the rates don't rise.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I never lost a windshield while the RV is in my garage.
The only problem is when I take it out, which is all the time, and have replaced 4 Windshields. I also stay well back and away from construction type vehicals. It is the oncoming ones that are getting me. I even have stone chips all the way up to the clearance lights.
I have looked into the tear off covers that the use on NASCAR Cup cars but don't have an answer for that idea yet.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

Thanks everyone
I have learned a lot from everyone. I always stay back far & change lanes!!!
I do see this problem is not uncommon. I never knew that the edges were the most vulnerable. I am going to look hard at security tape around the window & not in the wiper path. Keep your comments coming. I will let you know anything I find out
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #8

I have found Bullet Proof Products & Glas Gard which both offer a liquid that seals the microscopic pores of the glass & makes it stronger by 60 to 80%. I will try that.
There is also a product Clearplex from Madico that puts a film on your windshield but it may only last a year & costs $500
I think that I will take a clear weather proof tape from Frost King & apply to the outside rim of the window. It may not look too bad & I can replace it very cheap especially since 80% of cracked glass comes from the edge. The black edge around the window creates more heat which makes it more brittle
I have learned a lot today, I hope this will help some of you. I am open for any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #9

As soon as you get a ding, and before the cracking starts, paint over the ding with clear nail polish. I've had great luck with the method.

Ed