Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
My wife and I are currently 6.5 years full time in our coach. We are both 66 years of age and in reasonably good health. Our coach is 10 years old now and I'm absolutely sure it will be a comfortable and roadworthy home/ vehicle for as long as we are capable of this lifestyle. I monitor many forums and I do my own maintenance and I consider myself to be pretty informed as to motorhomes and their abilities.

My wife and I spent considerable time in the beginning of our search defining our full timing goals and then developed a wants and needs list to guide us in our search for a motorhome. We are completely happy with the result we have achieved.

If I were starting the same process again, this would be my starting point:

1. 40' to 45'
2. Tag axle
3. Hydronic heat/water heater
4. Less than 100 pounds per hp
5. 3-4 slides
6. Queen bed
7. Washer/dryer
8. Year range from 2005-2008
9. Floor plan suitable for full time living for 2 with reasonable provisions for a couple of over night or short trip guests.
10. Adequate interior storage space and exterior basement storage with slide trays.

Coaches in this age range will probably have to have their TVs updated. If the flooring is carpet that should be replaced with tile. Some of the furniture may need replacing. A change to a residential refrigerator may be considered. It goes without saying that a complete base line maintenance should be done and the tires should not be over 7 years old.

I would consider the top two or three coaches from the following coach builders:

1. Monaco/Holiday Rambler/Beaver ( semi monocoque chassis). In the interest of full disclosure, my coach is one of these.
2. Country Coach(semi monocoque chassis)
3. Newmar

Many will disagree with these and a case can be made for some others. I would concentrate on these and if something else came along I would weigh it against this yardstick.

Good luck with your search and safe travels.
Well said Steve....
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
OWV,

You don't mention if you are currently RV'ers. How do you know that this is for you especially after a huge investment?

You may want to look into doing a short rental to confirm.

Just a thought.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #17

As Steve said earlier:
1. 40' to 45'
2. Tag axle
3. Hydronic heat/water heater
4. Less than 100 pounds per hp
5. 3-4 slides
6. Queen bed
7. Washer/dryer
8. Year range from 2005-2008
9. Floor plan suitable for full time living for 2 with reasonable provisions for a couple of over night or short trip guests.
10. Adequate interior storage space and exterior basement storage with slide trays.

This is a great start but it will come down to what feels right to you. The floorplan will be the biggest thing IMHO.

Take your time, ask questions here and on other forums. I did, and it was a great help when I purchased our 06 Mountain Aire 4 years ago.

And do your best to look past the sale staff. I won't get into that one anymore!

Good Luck!
hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Guess I read it wrong.

So, since you are looking now, do look at Foretravel. They make great coaches and a 4-6 year old one would have almost every bell and whistle you can imagine.

That said, we're fulltiming in a 2003 Alpine (another orphan coach) and find that she works well for us and should for a number of years to come. Maintenance is the key and you can always upgrade/add new features as you figure out what works and doesn't work for you.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote