Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
Monkey ...when did you buy yours?
We've had it going on 2 yrs now I think. 3 trips from AR to AZ (2400 miles+ each) along with several smaller ones.

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Somebody mentioned that a diesel rig is cheaper to maintain. I've never owned a diesel but from what I understand the diesel engines require maintenance and it is much more costly to do those services. A gas engine oil change might cost me $50 even using synthetic oil. The diesel is a lot higher and it must be done as required. A gas engine can go 7-10,000 miles between changes. Yes a diesel will last longer but if it needs major repairs it is a lot more expensive.

TeJay

Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #17

From what I have read on here no one is ok even with a 100K RV. I bought my Winnebago a year and a half ago for 19K and have not had near the problems that a lot of people have with their high dollar motorhomes. I see all the stories of things breaking,things falling off,mechanical breakdowns on the road. If you check out the rig well and maintain it well you will have no problem on the road with a low price RV, not all of us can afford a high dollar unit. I am retired from 22 years in the military and after a run in with cancer decided to go ahead and hit the road early or maybe I wouldn't ever be able to do it. The decision was to spend more on the RV and not have money to travel on or buy a cheap RV and have money to travel, it was a no brainer.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #18

Yep...gasser is what I want. I understand the pros and cons of each so I'll stick with gas.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #19

I would look for a basic class A without too many bells and whistles. A lot of those systems on older coaches cause problems. It also lowers the price on the coach. At your price you're looking at a 90's coach. That means one or no slides. I used to have a 97 Safari Trek. It would now sell for about $15k. If I still had it, I would have no problem driving it almost anywhere. Most problems were minor and easily fixed. The way I look at it is that you have a house riding on a truck. I can do most house repairs. I'm not equipped to handle most heavy truck repairs. I leave those to the experts and stick to what I know.

To the person that said you can go 7-10k miles between oil changes on a gasser, check your engine manual. Both the Ford V10 and Chevy 454 require 5k miles or less. Cummins says 15k miles or once a year for the diesel.

Glen
08 Neptune
Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently sold our 1995 Safari Trek for about that amount. It was in good condition and I would have taken it cross country on a extended trip any time. Of course I have familiarity with the coach and know the history of the coach which provides a comfort zone that someone new to the coach would not have.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #21

You can definatly get a good class A for under $15000. But a 2001 or newer with a slide and under 40,000 miles for that price should send up a lot of red flags. Sounds like either a scam or a flood recovery.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You got to know what to look for, and records of work done is always a plus. But you can find plenty of good rigs for $15k
Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #23

Carolina Campers
With that budget, maybe you should consider buying a good truck and a TT. You could get a nice TT for $10 to $12k. Use the rest to put down on a nice truck to tow it with.

If you find yourself in a bind sometime, it would be fairly easy to unload the truck and still have the TT for when you can pick up another truck.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm the person that said you can go 10-K between oil changes. Here's why I say that and you can believe it or not. Thirty years ago Mobil came out with Mobil 1 and advertised 25,000 mile oil changes. Well that idea didn't fly. It's not because it wouldn't work it's because you can't change the minds of most guys who learned what they know from their Father. Dad couldn't tell me a lie, could he???? As I used to tell my automotive students, Ask your Dad when was the last time he read any technical article concerning OIL???? They only tell their kids what they learned from their Dad's and on and on and on.

The technical aspect of oil has changed over the years. Even Detroit is now using synthetics in their engines and differentials. Our 1999 Dutch Star MH came from the factory with synthetic oil in the differential and it was good for LIFE. They still use it today. Ford also uses Mercon 5 synthetic transmission fluid and it is good for if not life at least 150,000 miles. That's according to my Nephew who is an engineer at the assembly plant that builds the F-150 transmission.

For the last 30 years I have used Mobil 1 in every vehicle. I usually go 10,000 miles between changes and have never had one bit of trouble. No that is not a laboratory test but it has worked for me. I know a local trucking company who puts 50,000 miles on their diesel rigs before changing oil (Mobil 1). All they do is change the filter at 10-K and keep the engine oil full. I think that's good enough for me.

Here's one more story that is related to this. Sometimes we do what we do only because that's the way we've always done it. Not because it's the best or newest way.
Why is the bar lower on a girls bicycle????? It's because back in the 1890's all girls going out wore skirts down to the ground. If you wanted to take your girl out to the park on a bicycle (there were not a lot of cars back then) you both rode your bicycle's. It was not lady-like to throw her leg over the bar so the bar was lowered.

TELL ME WHY DO WE STILL BUILD A GIRLS BICYCLE ????? WHAT REASON IS THERE TO STILL LOWER THE BAR BECAUSE A GIRL WILL BE RIDING IT??

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A GIRL RIDING A BICYCLE WEARING A SKIRT???

WE STILL BUILD THEM BECAUSE OF TRADITION. THAT'S WHAT WE DO BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE DID 120 YEARS AGO NOT BECAUSE IT MAKES SENSE.

Along the same lines. Batteries sitting on a concrete floor over night won't have the juice sucked out of them. that to is an old wives tale from a long time ago. There are many out there who still believe that story.

Get with today's technology. The world and many things in it have changed. If Mobil said you can go 25,000 miles then I'm certain I can go at least 10,000 miles.

JMHO
TeJay
Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #25

Wife and I did just that found a 2000 Flair at a local dealer and he put it on the road for 15,9 They I said what the heck added a one year warranty to it as well for 2 so mine cost 18. But with that said we shopped and shopped. The dealer did all servicing prior to delivery and even replace the dash ac compressor. That was the good side now July 4 weekend fridge went up cooling unit is being replaced. That is one reason I made sure we could get a year warranty and will extend it if i can. The coach on;y had 29000 miles and the generator 35 hours. Coach now has 32000 and generator has 56 other than the fridge no problems. JUST GET IT CHECKED OVER AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET A WARRANTY.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a rig the Gulf Coast Filters ran 1,000,000 with only one unnecessary oil change using a bypass filter and only changing it and replacing the oil it displaced. There is many rigs running there filters with 400,000 and more with out changes ...... Hows that for not changing the oil
Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not buy a nice pickup and travel trailer with slide? Trucks very rarely have problems and all the tires would be cheaper. Just a class a windsheild half is a grand. It doesn't matter how you get there, we are all doing the same things.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #28

For what we plan on doing along the way a class A with a towed is what we need.