Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #29

Yes, you can, We bought our first MH, a 1997 Rexhall, in 2010 for $10,000. It only had 27,000 miles. We put in new batteries and bought 4 new tires, did a little cosmetic work (total of about $2,000 for all this) and drove it for 7,000 miles with no major issues for the year we had it. Decided we wanted auto-levelers and slides, so sold it a year later for $10,000 for a larger triple-slide Georgetown. You do need to be handy, though and check that things at least work when you buy it.

Good luck!

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #30

Class A for 15K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
For what we plan on doing along the way a class A with a towed is what we need.
Hate to disagree, but in my opinion, what you need is a Class A and a towed, and $30K reserve fund to plan on spending on the Class A.

Don't get me wrong. It is possible to get one (not necessarily a good one) for under 15K. It's also possible to win the Powerball (people do).

Do you have the funds to replace a windshield (about 500 to 1500)?
Do you have the funds to replace a timing chain (about $2000)?
Do you have the funds to replace 6 tires (about $4000)?
To reseal the roof (about $5000)?
To replace one air conditioner (about $800 + $800)?
To repair the coach air conditioner (about $2000)?

You get the picture. If you can find a good unit, it will either sell for $30K or require $30K to become usable.

And that's if the sides will still hold together and not be falling apart. (Delamination).

Just my opinion.

GL Arnold
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #31

If 15,000 is Max go with a smaller Class C , Mechanically easier and cheaper to get serviced, and you will get more bang for the buck in a smaller more reliable package....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #32

It seems there are a lot of people on both sides of this argument. And, both have good points. I dp not know your skill level or monetary situation, so I can only speak for myself. I would want some savings in case of a catastrophic failure, engine, transmission or something I did not have the tools or know how to fix. I would want to get the best I could for my 15K. And, then, I would make needed repairs, do needed maitnenance, and hit the road. I know beyond any doubt that full-timing in an RV beats the h--- out of sitting around waiting to die.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #33

I purchased a 32ft last year for 12,500 for a Gulf Stream with 33,400 miles. Make sure you look at the roof, tires, brakes, generator working. These are all things that I have had to address. Not sure what else is to come. We are planning a 24 day trip to Montana, North Dakota, Yellowstone, and Crater Lake so we our open to new supprises.
Linker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #34

I resealed the Roof for about $ 300.00, but the roof is starting to seperate and a new roof is about $5k. I made the deal that they had to put new tires on it. Cost to them was $1200. Generator Stator went out, but I found a used one just like it for $700. but thwas after I paid $ 320.00 for diagnostics
Linker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #35

As long as the wife is willing to push as you steer then a 15K MH will be just fine.......
Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #36

We finally spent more than 15K on a RV. Made several coast to coast trips in 10-12 yr. old Southwinds with 454 Chevys. never spent more than $500. per yr. average. on repairs. This year went 35K on a 13 yr. old diesel pusher. It sure rides nice, flattens out the hills& slide sure is sweet. But I'm a fixit guy. Burnt out alternator in Az. once. It was too hot to replace it in the parking lot, so I drove back to Houston with new alternator in box, Generator keeping 12v. alive. $100 dollar repair including new belt.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #37

This is an iffy topic. My coach cost me $12,100 out the door. I had to replace all of the tires on the way home from the lot, but I expected to do that anyway. That was $1800 including the spare (19.5" tires).
Since then I have made countless changes and upgrades, so my total cost is well above 15K, I'm sure. Most of that was not essential, but the converter and new batteries were.
So far we have only about 3000 miles behind us, but we feel great about it.
This is a '94 National Dolphin with a Cummins and the Ailison 3060 trans. With 90K miles, it is just getting started. The coach is old but all the stuff works, so we are enjoying our trip.
We hope to use this trip, and the coach, to determine if this is the life we want.

I realize this may not help much, because not everyone is as lucky as we were. The point is that there are units out there that can be utilized if you are handy with fixing stuff as you go along.

Best to you.
Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Hate to disagree, but in my opinion, what you need is a Class A and a towed, and $30K reserve fund to plan on spending on the Class A.

Don't get me wrong. It is possible to get one (not necessarily a good one) for under 15K. It's also possible to win the Powerball (people do).

To repair the coach air conditioner (about $2000)?

You get the picture. If you can find a good unit, it will either sell for $30K or require $30K to become usable.

And that's if the sides will still hold together and not be falling apart. (Delamination).

Just my opinion.

GL Arnold
Insurance will cover that.

The same is true for a $50,000 rig

My HR Endeavor has a Ford chassis with 16" wheels. Six Cooper RV tires cost me $1300.

There are plenty of Class A RVs with aluminum roofs.

Again, the same is true for a $50,000 rig

I have a '95 HR and it has no delamination.

A late 80s to early 2000 MH has probably had a lot of items replaced already. As others have said, make sure to check the dates on the tires, the service records and have it inspected by a qualified technician.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #39

Yeah, this is kind of silly. Can you purchase an RV within your budget and enjoy trips in America? Yes, you can! You need to have it checked over and make sure it is in good condition. You also would be advised to have money on hand in case any repairs pop-up on your trip.

Look, if no one bought those $15k RV's... how would most people sell their old ones to upgrade to the new fancy one???? Somebody has to buy them.

My 1990 Class A gasser valued at about $15K is quite fine. Oh it has a problem or two and I need to get new tires before next year when I go to Banff, Alberta but otherwise it runs quite well. Hell, it sat for 7months unplugged in the frozen prairies winter outside with just a cover... and when I hopped into it, flipped the switches for the batteries.. I turned the key and all I heard was an instant.. VROOOOM!! That's my baby.
Raist11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #40

ramblin is right if you ever find a $15k rig you well have to put so much in to get to get it ready for the road

it is bad when i see alot of 4 to 3 year old rvs needing so much work
it well still all ways be a 1$here 1$ there

but dont late this stop you rving is fun and get out there and see things
>>> man this coming from a guy thats rv cant make it out the drive way yet LOL<<
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here ya go:

1996 SAFARI TREK 26ft DIESEL PUSHER EXCEL COND

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #42

And did you look closely at those sidewalls? Delamination is not a problem just because it's ugly, but because of what caused it. Water intrusion. If allowed to continue, it just gets worse. Besides walls coming apart, you have water inside. That usually means mold. Factory quotes for repair are $14K per side (been there).

Don't get me wrong. As I said, it can be done. Just be prepared for problems, and have a back up plan.

Again, just my opinion.

GL Arnold